Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

Planning out a no weapon upgrades pro run in my head right now...

I love seeing a master at his craft. You are destined for greatness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Evil Eagle posted:

Planning out a no weapon upgrades pro run in my head right now...

I thought about doing a no purchased weapons run at one point but got spooked by the idea of not having a rifle for the Regenerators. I don't think you can get the Magnum to 50 damage before you encounter the first one and I don't know that I'm skilled enough to dodge them when needed.

I did do a first weapons run once though (so original Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Magnum) and that was fun if not super-difficult. No weapon upgrades sounds tough!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got through the village with no upgrades, but that's the easy part. I may have gone a bit overboard with the first castle merchant. I need all of these guns!

I almost got the Mine Launcher as well, lol. Maybe when I get the XL case...

C-Euro posted:

I thought about doing a no purchased weapons run at one point but got spooked by the idea of not having a rifle for the Regenerators. I don't think you can get the Magnum to 50 damage before you encounter the first one and I don't know that I'm skilled enough to dodge them when needed.

I did do a first weapons run once though (so original Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Magnum) and that was fun if not super-difficult. No weapon upgrades sounds tough!

There's only one regenerator that you have to kill (technically its an iron maiden). For the others in my handgun run I either hit them with an incendiary grenade or just ran by. The mandatory one went down to handguns, though I was using the red9 with exclusive. I thought about testing if the punisher might hit the parasites inside him but I dunno if it works like that.

My friend did a no purchased weapon run, though I think he just used the handgun and shotgun. I kinda want to try that too

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I bought the Exclusive bolt action rifle upgrade just before fighting Salazar, and in the end I didn't move or get hit once the whole fight. I just sat there laughing and shooting him in the face until he died after about 8 shots. That loving ruled

e: oh gently caress I'm about 5k away from the Red9's Exclusive upgrade, and it looks like it's going to do the same thing it did for the Rifle. I seriously can't loving wait, I'm so excited

klapman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 12, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah the bolt action rifle exclusive is just plain ridiculous. 30.0 freaking damage. Red9s isn't bad at all either but I find that it's outpaced by the blacktail as far as DPS goes. I still love both guns anyway, every pistol is great and useful.

For my no upgrades run I'm going with the blacktail and semi auto rifle. Red9 and blacktail both start at 1.6 damage, and the blacktail just handles better. Leon also readies it much faster than he does the Red9. I prefer the bolt action rifle because of the insane exclusive and small inventory size, but it starts at 4.0 damage and the semi auto starts at 7.0 so its not even a contest.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah the bolt action rifle exclusive is just plain ridiculous. 30.0 freaking damage. Red9s isn't bad at all either but I find that it's outpaced by the blacktail as far as DPS goes. I still love both guns anyway, every pistol is great and useful.

For my no upgrades run I'm going with the blacktail and semi auto rifle. Red9 and blacktail both start at 1.6 damage, and the blacktail just handles better. Leon also readies it much faster than he does the Red9. I prefer the bolt action rifle because of the insane exclusive and small inventory size, but it starts at 4.0 damage and the semi auto starts at 7.0 so its not even a contest.

I haven't really branched out at all yet, I've just been using the Red9, Shotgun and the Rifle all game, but I'm already looking forward to going through it again with new guns. I've just started liking the game more and more as it goes on, the Regenerators are really fun to fight. I'm glad the spiky ones are a bit more crafty though, on consoles they're probably really tough but on PC with the rifle it's really easy to stunlock them

e: Cleared the game at around 11 hours with an 80% hit ratio. That kicked so much rear end... Rest in peace, Mike. I saved a rocket launcher since Mendez, got to the final boss, then decided it was finally time to use it and loving missed.

The best feeling in the game is when you have one shot left on your rifle and two shield guys coming at you, so you just sit there and take your time as they slowly line themselves up and then BAM headshot both of them in one go. God it was so loving sweet. I'd replay this game immediately if it wasn't for the fact that I had Separate Ways and Assignment Ada to do first

klapman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 12, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Salazar fight was the first time I fired a rocket launcher because I figure it would just be a lot of damage and not a all encompassing instagib. I was pretty shocked

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Evil Eagle posted:

I actually haven't used the semi-auto rifle in a long time, despite never buying a rifle until I get to the castle. The bolt-action rifle just has too many style points going for it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

The Salazar fight was the first time I fired a rocket launcher because I figure it would just be a lot of damage and not a all encompassing instagib. I was pretty shocked

Same. Now I use it on Verdugo instead

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got up to the mine tonight on no upgrades. I can already tell that the island is going to be painful

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
the H&K SL8 (that semiauto sniper) is so drat cool looking, i wish it was in more games. the grey version as well

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RE4 is in the current humble bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/capcom-sega-atlus-bundle

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hmmm, this is tempting

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Majestic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it's actually extremely deviant

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Wormskull posted:

The Gay Stupid Cube 64 most likely lmfao. But your right, as long as your enjoying yourself, it doesn't marter that your using possibly the worst, gayest console in history.

heard you talkin poo poo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Owns. But why two magnums?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well, they're the two best unupgraded weapons in the game. It kind of feels like cheating using both magnums but I'm not spending my money on anything else. I could buy 20 rocket launchers but that's no fun

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Someday I'll do a run like this with no magnums and it'll be way more difficult.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Do knife only

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Salazar would be kind of impossible

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Salazar would be kind of impossible

:rolleyes:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

unupgraded starting pistol and knife is def possible

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Evil Eagle posted:

Well, they're the two best unupgraded weapons in the game. It kind of feels like cheating using both magnums but I'm not spending my money on anything else. I could buy 20 rocket launchers but that's no fun

So it's just so that you only need to re-load half as often?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

been playing re4 to retain my sanity while the internet is still out in my area.

ive beaten this game a million times over a decade and know most of it by heart and i still get totally lost in it and am surprised when a few hours have shot by.

the move to having a mandatory AI partner in the following RE games is so unbelievably stupid, even if theyre invincible and have infinite ammo it kills any chance of immersion or feeling any fear or anxiety no matter what the encounters are like

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

So it's just so that you only need to re-load half as often?

selling then rebuying a weapon fills it up with ammo

so yeah this run wasn't really all that hard. I tried starting RE6 today but it starts with a mandatory walking section and made me want to barf. I think I'm going to need a much longer break from RE4 before I try and tackle it again. RE5 at least handles kind of like RE6 so I think I'll play that instead.

Or maybe I'll just do the default handgun run

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
re4 mercenaries is some of the most fun in gaming

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dongslayer. posted:

re4 mercenaries is some of the most fun in gaming

mercenaries is still awesome in the later REs, pretty hard to gently caress up horde mode

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I loved shooting only enough bullets at zombie kneecaps for the stagger so I can go in for the kill with the knife/roundhouse kick

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I should reinstall re4 on pc

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

IdealFlaws posted:

I should reinstall re4 on pc

Use the texture pack from re4hd.net, there are beta releases for up to end of the castle which is most of the good part of the game anyway.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Convex posted:

Use the texture pack from re4hd.net, there are beta releases for up to end of the castle which is most of the good part of the game anyway.

the entirety of re4 is the good part of the game actually

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

extremebuff posted:

it's a timeless masterpiece yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I wanna play REmake but it's too scary

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

extremebuff posted:

This.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

extremebuff posted:

This is why I'm waiting for the HD pack to be entirely complete.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Convex posted:

Games

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

RE4 is really underrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

RE4 is really underrated

lol