Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Blackmage Yapo posted:

You should name ALL the saurii for different kaiju Godzilla fights. I vote Mothra first.

It should be Godzilla vs Life. Kaiju mixed with things that make your everyday life just that much worse.

Mothra-In-Law Visit
Low Phone Battra
Keys Baragon Missing
Old King Ceasar Dressing
Hot Biollante In Your Lap
Rodan's Racist FB Posts

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Reminded me to take a look on the forum, now I see vampires are finally out. . . aaaand they managed to make them even buggier? Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying an expansion then

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootcha posted:

It should be Godzilla vs Life. Kaiju mixed with things that make your everyday life just that much worse.

Old King Ceasar Dressing

You are both bad and wrong about this. Caesar is good and cool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bootcha posted:

Mothra-In-Law Visit
Low Phone Battra
Keys Baragon Missing
Old King Ceasar Dressing
Hot Biollante In Your Lap
Rodan's Racist FB Posts

Might as well toss Pacific Rim into the mix with Blood Bowl-ish names:

End Zone Trespasser
Knifehead Helmet
Full Leatherback
Hitachi Otachi
Onibaba Baby
Raiju the Kaiju
Scunner Skinner
Seraphon Slattern

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

You are both bad and wrong about this. Caesar is good and cool.

Not when it's old and expired.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I love Blood Bowl but I am terrible at it. Hope we see many more videos!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FluffySquirrel posted:

Reminded me to take a look on the forum, now I see vampires are finally out. . . aaaand they managed to make them even buggier? Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying an expansion then

Cyanide makes new and interesting bugs.
They just didn;t read the full description of extrodinary skills. Which explicitly states that Hypno-gaze doesn't work from the pitch.

Peachfart posted:

I love Blood Bowl but I am terrible at it. Hope we see many more videos!

No-one is actually good at Bloodbowl.

Boo at not getting to pick their first skill! How are we meant to make cool and interesting players? Do you not remember Yapo the Frenzy saurus?

Or we could get a wrassle BT Stripball Saur!

As for 1dbs, they're just a 3+. With Block, they're a 2+

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 11, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shoot I could see a case for a single break tackle first saurus.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Maybe Agent355 would be willing to compromise? Surely, once he has four copies of block he could open the voting up? Heck, there's even a chance some people would've VOTED for block on half the saurus in the first place!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FoolyCharged posted:

Shoot I could see a case for a single break tackle first saurus.

To be fair, it's actually a likely pick for first skill on the Krox. Assuming it only rolls normals. BT big guys are really good. and it's already got Mighty Blow.

Lizards are really painful until you get some block though. Much like Chaos except your skinks are even squishier than Beastmen.

Edit: Oh, Agent, can you go through your roster at some point? I saw the return of Emgland, but who else is there?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 11, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sure, I'll make sure to do a quick team intro at the beginning of the next video.

On the subject of voting: don't worry, it'll come.

If i have 4-5 block saurus and the 6th guy levels getting block on him isn't as important and I'll probably take a vote, but quite simply lizards don't function as intended until you have a bunch of block saurus.

I can see what would happen, in my mind, should I have voting start from the get go.

70% of the thread would rightfully point out that saurus' need block and the other 30% would be voting for shadowing, repeat for the first 2-3 saurus until finally the block naysayers riot on saurus #4 and he gets strong arm or something. People get really wiggy about thread voting in a bloodbowl thread and I"m just nipping it in the bud by saying 'no voting until after block', it'll only be a few videos.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Oh man, I never got Bloodbowl 2 because principals.. but this may make me give in. Definitely like the Kaiju naming theme.

To add to the mix: Ult-Raman Noodles

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Now that you mention it, a shadowing saurus would really tie this team together.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Donnerberg posted:

Now that you mention it, a shadowing saurus would really tie this team together.

:p Assassins are proof that MA6 shadowing doesn't work that well.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
ive played against a shadowing saur team. they killed my +st high elf lino through it. fear the shadowing saurs.
edit: also the reason assassins shadowing doesent work is because youd rather punch it than dodge away most of the time. youd rather dodge away from saurs if you can. thats where shadowing comes into play.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 11, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shadowing is great! and honestly it's not even terrible on saurus for the same reason that iretep said.

Sure you probably aren't going to successfully shadow (the odds with even movement is 40% or worse iirc) but even having the threat of it is good. Other options are certainly more impactful but it's not completely useless at all.

However there are better shadowing options on lizardmen teams: https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8936451 (this is why I have a skink named England, also i badly misremembered how many touchdowns he had but he's still a star in my heart)

Since it's Monday I'll go ahead and close the player name input because I'll be playing the match later today. I think the name with the most support that is also the best is Mothra, but further I like the 'godzilla kaiju as bad puns' so I'll go with Mothra-in-law.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Shadowing is just one of those skills that can really trip people up, even experienced players, because if you ever /forget/ that Shadowing is a Thing you have to deal with, it can lead to some hilarious 'Watch this fucker have to roll five dodges in a row' moments as the Shadowing character hounds their every step.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The main min maxy problem with shadowing on a saur is bash dont dodge much anyway. Its mainly an anti elf skill. Lizards dont really have that much problem with dealing with elves anyway so its kind of wasteful skill to take if you want to maximise just being good at your weakness, other bash teams. You beat elves by 2-1 grinding them well and murdering them. Shadowing is nice but not critical. You beat other bash by having more murder skills, defence and guard.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Iretep posted:

The main min maxy problem with shadowing on a saur is bash dont dodge much anyway. Its mainly an anti elf skill. Lizards dont really have that much problem with dealing with elves anyway so its kind of wasteful skill to take if you want to maximise just being good at your weakness, other bash teams. You beat elves by 2-1 grinding them well and murdering them. Shadowing is nice but not critical. You beat other bash by having more murder skills, defence and guard.

Remember, Goon LP teams aren't about making the best team possible. They are about making the person playing them suffer for our amusement.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think lizards are pretty even vs everything without skills.

Later on you need block of course and some guard will help you against bashy teams (that stack guard to the point they overcome your innate 4str, so you just need a few to stay relevant), but you probably want to pick up a bit of anti-elf too. Tackle is a great option, diving tackle skinks, mighty blow saurus is anti-elf more than anti-bash. Shadowing fits right in as a 'weird thing that can be surprising to players and therefor valuable.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
You need a hulked out 5 str skink somewhere on the team.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Bob James posted:

Alternative suggestion: You need a 4 agility leap skink named Cumquat

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bob James posted:

You can only ever get +2 to a stat. And stats are capped at 10.

I wonder if BB2 still lets you queue the whole movement and forces you to get shadowed to hell

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

You can only ever get +2 to a stat. And stats are capped at 10.

I wonder if BB2 still lets you queue the whole movement and forces you to get shadowed to hell

I'm fairly sure the movement stops after the shadowing attempt even if the player being shadowed managed to dodge away successfully.

I used to put shadowing on one of my gutter runners after block and sidestep, and it bothered me that shadowing wasn't as unforgiving as in BB1.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 12, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game 2

This game is vs Iretep's Ultra optimized halfling team.

Ending spoilers:

Nothing to vote on obviously, no dead players to name and replace, no votable skill ups, so I'm posting this early and we'll have another game on friday where hopefully there will be some voting

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Seems like your co-commentator's audio isn't synced or something?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Already fixing it. I'll have to reupload the video so it'll be a few minutes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Fixed, but Youtube is still processing. i can't speed that up at all, but it will be done in a short amount of time and the link is good to go.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Video spoilers:

So, what are the odds of a -3db surf going well for the blocker? Let's pretend that Skull and Both Down are 1 and 2 on a six sided die. So, to avoid the surf, you need to get any 1 or 2. That means it works only if every result that is made up of only 3-6. There are 64 results that contain no 1s or 2s out of the total possible 216. So 64/216 = 29.6% chance of it working. I am honestly shocked it's so high. It is only ~3.7% worse than attempting to throw a safe 1DB block without Block or Wrestle (2/6 = 3.33%), which really shows how bad those 1DBs are.

Someone please check my work :ohdear:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well a 1db without block is 66% safe (33% is the odds of falling over), and the -3db was only part of that chain of events so you could include all the dodging and other things. But those odds are correct for a -3db with no skulls/bds.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You forgot to add the Nuffle factor for coolness of play, name theme of team and level of how much he hates you.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nuffle is all about equality. He hates everyone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That tree that hit himself is the stuff of legends

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Having been aware of Bloodbowl for some 25 years now, I only just now got why halflings and Trees are on the same team. And the one time I actually played BB (board game) I played Halflings.

I'm not quick. But I get there. Eventually.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

AltaBrown posted:

Having been aware of Bloodbowl for some 25 years now, I only just now got why halflings and Trees are on the same team.

You've got to have something to fling the flings.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
So when you hit or push another player, you can 'follow' them to move into the square they were just knocked out of, right? Since trees are so slow, is it a good idea to try and strategically position your trees to punch people and follow to eke a little extra movement out of them? Or is that usually just not worth the extra effort?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's two sides to that.

You're right that all the repositioning you can squeeze out of a tree is useful, but there could be other players stuck in its tacklezone that you don't want to step away from. I haven't seen the new match yet so they may have said this, but that's why it's normal to get the grab skill on treemen. When a player with grab blocks someone, they can push in any direction instead of just the three tiles facing away from them. It's especially useful if the tree roots itself, letting the tree punch a guy in circles around it.

If you were thinking about blitzes, where the trees runs and punches, the block already counts as moving into that tile even if the tree doesn't follow the victim after the block. Blitzing doesn't extend a players movement.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 13, 2017

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
So, a strategy question. I'm fairly new to Blood Bowl but considering picking up the board game. And on turn 7 of the first half, when you failed the handoff to your saurus who was in scoring position, why did you decide against using the reroll? My gut instinct was "Take the reroll now: this is what it's for. You make this roll, that's 3 SPP on your saurus." Guaranteed, even, since he was six spaces away from the endzone. So I was surprised to see that you chose not to use the reroll in that situation, and save it for later. I haven't watched turn 8 yet, but surely a "if I make this roll I get 3 SPP" (and a TD) situation is better than any hypothetical future use you might make of that roll in turn 8?

Now, maybe the answer is going to be "Yeah, I should have done that, and not doing it was a mistake". But if you had a reason for not doing it, then I'd like to know.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think we can assume that anybody who is reading this far below the game update post has either watched it or is aware of the risk so I won't worry about spoiler tags.

The reason i didn't take the reroll is that I looked at the state of the board and figured that he would not be able to effectively threaten me next turn. If he was right on top of me I would have rerolled it for the reasons you give, but because he was far away and slow (and only 2 str) I felt I was pretty safe.

If they can't pressure me then I just get to make the pick up attempt on turn 8, which in a way is like a free reroll, and then if I fail on turn 8 I can just use the reroll on that turn.

I can, at most, make 3 attempts at picking up the ball. One on turn 7, one on turn 8, and one with the reroll. Whether you use the reroll on turn 7 or 8 is meaningless in terms of your liklihood to succeed, so the decision is more about the state of the game board. Generally speaking you use rerolls earlier if you are under heavy pressure and save them for later if you aren't.

In this particular case I don't think it was necessarily better for me to have saved it, just in case the 'flings got lucky, but neither is it particularly a mistake since I could just use it next turn as well. Because it was turn 7 playing the 'maybe I can use it better later' game was probably pointless at best and a mistake at worst, but if it was turn 6 instead waiting would've been obviously correct.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Saw this since I subbed from your Grimrock LP. Got me interested in the game. I have to agree with one of the youtube comments on the latest video, you kind of spoil your own video saying you accomplish nothing. Otherwise, I like what you're showing of the game, and it's gotten me to go from "I know of this game" to "I should really pick this up."

The tree self-own was awesome.

• Locked thread