Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I think we can assume that anybody who is reading this far below the game update post has either watched it or is aware of the risk so I won't worry about spoiler tags.

The reason i didn't take the reroll is that I looked at the state of the board and figured that he would not be able to effectively threaten me next turn. If he was right on top of me I would have rerolled it for the reasons you give, but because he was far away and slow (and only 2 str) I felt I was pretty safe.

If they can't pressure me then I just get to make the pick up attempt on turn 8, which in a way is like a free reroll, and then if I fail on turn 8 I can just use the reroll on that turn.

I can, at most, make 3 attempts at picking up the ball. One on turn 7, one on turn 8, and one with the reroll. Whether you use the reroll on turn 7 or 8 is meaningless in terms of your liklihood to succeed, so the decision is more about the state of the game board. Generally speaking you use rerolls earlier if you are under heavy pressure and save them for later if you aren't.

In this particular case I don't think it was necessarily better for me to have saved it, just in case the 'flings got lucky, but neither is it particularly a mistake since I could just use it next turn as well. Because it was turn 7 playing the 'maybe I can use it better later' game was probably pointless at best and a mistake at worst, but if it was turn 6 instead waiting would've been obviously correct.

Just to augment for the original questioner, there's other gamestate considerations to this beyond pressure on the ball. For example, with several KO'ed players it would be worth taking the Turn 7 reroll to give yourself an extra roll to recover them (one post-TD and a second after the half). After scoring, there's no real need for the reroll and your Turn 8, and so no real cost.

The way in which saving might have been questionable depends upon the degree to which you're not focused on scoring. Saving for turn 8 pickup and then saying to yourself "I should make some safe blocks first" is a good way to end up using the reroll on a block and then not scoring and losing the SPP from the TD in the name of getting extra from causing injuries. Flings can often bait people into throwing blocks late in the half as their players are usually expendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Sounds a lot like X-COM when you put it that way.

It's X-COM if the aliens got a turn every time you missed a shot.

• Locked thread