Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

let's get people hit by A Runaway Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

GNU Order posted:

Buy A Cheerleader

Those are so out of fashion these days. He needs an assistant coach to help explain things to his co commentator since they're new to the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's more of a sound effect bubble from and old skill comic book. Think "biff!" "Pow!" Etc. A lot of people call them pows.

All knockdowns can injure a player, the exclamation point icon is defender stumbles. It's identical to the one without, except players with the skill "dodge" treat it as a push instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shoot I could see a case for a single break tackle first saurus.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That tree that hit himself is the stuff of legends

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like to compare them a lot because at the heart of it they're both gambling games. They just happen to gamble with something far more fun than boring old money: the lives of imaginary pixelmen that I dressed up and gave names and fondly remember stories about

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also Jump up requires an agility roll to punch from the ground. And he only has 1 agi

The good and proper pick here would probably be guard. Fortunately this is democracy, so we can make agent Frenzy trap himself instead.

e: Frenzy lets him go where he wants to go too, only he gets to punch along the way :colbert:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 16, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Get an assitant coach

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jump up on dubs for a wrestler isnt a horrible choice either. The other guys is likely on the ground and unpunchable as well so youd be punching on a ball carrier blitz and ignoring the punch from the ground side of the equation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

+AG if only so that we can fantasize giving him leap until he dies immediately.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Agent355 posted:

The unfun truth is that if you have stunty and +ag there is no reason to ever leap since you 2+ dodge everywhere!

Not true. You leap as an act of prayer and devotion to nuffle, placing the fate of your skink into his mighty, dice rolling hands for great favor.

And also because it looks cool when it works.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

namad posted:

I'd just like to take this opportunity to vote AGAINST leap. Stunty players have no need for leap.

Heresy. All pieces gain value from the ability to fly through the air to their deaths.

Just not tactical value.
Which makes me rethink proposing leap in favor of a skill that tempts agent to kill his skinks though its use.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The highest rank is 7 which is obtained at a whopping 170something so. Each level after the last takes progressively longer to reach

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That would be great.

My tree rolled dubs, do I give him block or is he the amazing, flying tree?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

e: Also with Dodge, we get a saurus that sure, wont be punching as much for a while, but he'll be just as hard to take down as a block guy AND can run away on a whim. And then get king of skills and break tackle to become the mightiest ball remover when agent uses his amazing agility talents to score repeatedly.

Alternatively, we can take agents advice to ignore the doubles and give him sure hands so he has fewer troubles with saurus ball.

Felinoid posted:

Honestly, two gunners on a first drive on defense isn't that bad of an idea. It puts more strength on the field (though arguably not as relevant vs lizards), and keeps your gunners from getting mulched before you can even use them. My first rats game I stuck all four out from turn 1, and only had two of them available for the next game, nevermind the rest of that one.

On the other hand, rats are really, really good at offense. They dont need the extra hands on deck when they receive, they need them to bolt with the ball the second it hits the ground. And rats really want a few gunner/sv levels for knocking that ball loose more than they want those spares early on.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 30, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Looking through the list of Agility and Pass skills, none of them are as valuable as Block. Sure, Dodge would produce a blodger eventually... but that's only at 16 SPP. Which means he'd have to rack up 10 SPP — five casualties — with no Block dice. That's going to take FOREVER. Meanwhile, we have six Sauri on the team, and doubles is a 1/6 chance. That means that on average, if we level every Saurus we can expect one of them to roll doubles. This time around it's Goddars, but at level 2 we can expect another doubles roll, and at that point we can make our blodger. If we give Goddars Dodge right now, he's going to take FOREVER to get his second level, which is no fun.

TL;DR: Voting for Block is the funhaver choice this time.

A convincing argument, alow me to rebut.
A dodge Saurus could have saved the team reroll at the end for the hand off and won the game.

Fake edit: obviously we're ignoring that the hand off was a 6+

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He'll just be a Skinky Hobo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Look if were going to be intelligent and ignore the dubs, why can't we at least have picked wrestle? C'mon guys I'm disappointed in you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oooh boy!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Skunt = Grab

Papa G = Tackle +ag

Fleetfoot Mac = Block

Money = Level 2 Stadium

Keep the Orcs

Let there be dwarves!

Skunt, so that we can be an rear end in a top hat and pin people under double prehensile tail dodges. Bonus points for tempting agent to make loner blocks.

Papa G, so that we can kill zons, elves and stunty teams. Works well defensively with grab to make even elves have trouble escaping.

Fleetfoot because there's not really any other option here. Wrestle could be useful for cage busting, but he'd probably be doing so at a -2db and without easy access to tackle+strip ball, that's not likely to work.

Our stadium should be pretty to look at!

Orc cheerleaders because they're amazing(ly horrid)

Dwarves because they aren't that boring. Kind of. maybe. not really, I just like suffering.

Actually, you know what? We're giving agent too much nice stuff. Let's +ag a saurus toss him sure hands and make saurus ball life.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 7, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

megane posted:

Break Tackle for Skunt. I really want to see the big lizard get a chance to blitz more often. I don't know BB; Break Tackle seems good but maybe I'm wrong?

Tackle for Papa G. Elves must die.

Block for Fleetfoot.

It's pretty good, on all our sauri we can dodge into no tackle zones on a 2+, with our krox we can dodge into 1 tz with a 2+ roll.
It's almost essential for lizards to have at least one or two guys with it. Otherwise a cheap lineman can easily tie up our big powerhouses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Worklurker posted:

I want to see argent go against jadestar's dwarves

Didn't they all retire at once on him?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

namad posted:

This match up was very interesting for me (maybe because saur-ball is over).

Only because 'all voted against +ag saurus.

Just imagine guys, if you had picked that there was about a 1/4 chance of getting an agi3 saurus.

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
:ssh: stop showing I was fudging the numbers.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 11, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man, this is beautiful.

+ma
nuffle alter

because if free lightning bolts on the chosen one isn't going to win, we might as well see more of those cool star player types that rarely show up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hutter posted:

+MA on Fleet-foot. Side-step is really the only 'normal' roll that he'd need now to be a true terror.

At this point I'd say sprint so that he only needs a single push for turn 8 one turn attempts. For the record, 4AG stunty dodge would give him about 50% success odds at successfully one turning.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely gonna be a +str +agi +mov block skink.

That does snaking a 2+ dodge from something harmless

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yes

E: actually, do the mixed team with ogres and aim for a 10 big guy team.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

king of skills
Grab for lincoln

obvious choice on the first, and the second because grab means you punch them, and then you put them where you can punch them again.
Actually we should get grab on all the saurii and make things stupidly silly

e: Also, the sensible choice is guard, but he got block instead of a blodge saurus, so we should give him fun sub-optimal skills instead.

e2:

Teddybear posted:

You should buy a new skink, and name him Wrestle.
I like this idea, no such thing as too much wrestle

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 20, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Stop voting for the boring skill guys, vote for the one that grabs your sense of fun and adventure!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Voyager I posted:

over MB or BT - we already have two Blitzer builds who would be better at leveraging those skills, and we're about to be pushing 1500 TV with 0 strength amplifiers.

There has literally been a single vote for both of those skills combined. The cool kids are voting he grabs people and tosses them into the krox and other fun shenanigans.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Wrestle is a specialty skill. As a general rule it's better to have your men standing up than lying down, and this is doubly important on a team like Lizardmen that wants to outmuscle their opponent with only seven non-stunty players - a Saurus lying down is a substantial amount of field control conceded. For a generic punchmans player, Block is even further preferable because it gives you a chance to remove players. Lying down to cuddle with an Elf isn't going to get you a man advantage or any SPP. The only players that want wrestle are using it for a job. Generally they're either ballhawks purpose-built to pop the ball free by any means necessary, or they're roadblock linos whose job is to be annoying to punch and stuff Blitzes and who don't plan to be throwing many blocks themselves.

This isn't to suggest that a Saurus would be a bad ballhawk - they're big, reasonably fast, and have access to general skills - it's just that Saurs need to be the backbone of the team and they can't do that lying down. A Skink would actually be a pretty sweet ballhawk in the same way that Gunners work, except they don't have reliable access to the necessary and a Skink with only one of Wrestle / Strip Ball is not good at any job.

Counterpoint:
block does not temporarily remove a block piece from the field on a both down and wrestle does. As all the people being boring and voting for guard have shown we're at the point where guard starts being common and a big thing. Being able to drop a key guard piece reliably can allow you many more punches in a round giving you a much stronger field control.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

namad posted:

That is what I worry about most. We're up to the TV where anyone beefy enough to stand their ground and punch back will at very least have block. Now also having block is probably the correct move. As a watcher though, seeing the BOOOING of block both down into blocker is boring.

I can see though that it would be much better to give every skink who rolls a double wrestle and if they don't get strip ball fire them (or vica versa), and that's what I'll vote for going forward.

As such, I'll vote to name the new skink Wrestle. That's where the real fun will be had.

A wrestle skink would get stomped on so fast.

We should totally do that.

...To the next one whose career survives long enough for dubs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's too late, we already voted for all the boring skills that every other lizard team ever has. Because we enjoy throwing away the power to make this team unique.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

This, agreed wholeheartedly.. Yeah, it sucks getting a doubles on a saurus's first level and taking Block instead of lol Leap or lol Hail Mary Pass. Know what sucks more? Having your lol Leap Saurus never do anything because he's always the absolutely worst choice to take an action in any situation another saurus can stand in; his brothers all have Block and can punch better, and Leaping is always, what, 6+ for him?, so he's just... there, eating punches, maybe leaping for lulz if Agent has him left over and hasn't turnover'd (so he can break his spine on a failed leap and be taken behind the shed and shot and replaced with a saurus who might get Block and thus start getting more SPP).

Considering that the vote you're referncing was actually about power now or some more pain now for immense power later comparing it to agi 1 leaping is a bit disingenous.

Same with the runner up skills this vote, not the best, optimal skills to have but still good useful skills that would get used unlike agi leap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Voyager I posted:

The other argument against Wrestle is that in addition to being bad, it's not even funny on a Saurus. He's going to spend most of his time doing the normal thing of running up to people and trying to punch them - he'll just be doing it worse.

Unless they're a blodger with guard, shadowing, side step, etc in which case the removing that skill from this turn could very well be worth removing that saurus for this turn.
It's not optimal but calling it uninteresting and without use is just wrong.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, a blodger with guard shadowing and sidestep is basically an extremely leveled amazon blitzer or wardancer. The former is a pretty uncommonly played team and the latter is kind of an edge case. Both are gangfoul targets at pretty much any TV and I wouldn't necessarily dedicate a saurus to wrestle in order to more efficiently gank them.

They were examples of a third skill to go with blodge, not all of them at once. A level 2 pro elf blitzer is blodge sidestep, a level 4 flolem that rolled dubs can be an immovable wall with guard, a level 3 gunner could be blodge shadowing and so on. Wrestle could remove that piece for a turn freeing up other pieces punching/movement options when block would just waste the punch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

I think Yapo did a Norse team. I know someone did, I just forget if it was him or Agent.

It was Yapo. That one in particular was interesting in that its the only BB lp we've had that operated in a short league/tournament style. All the others have just been open play until the guy playing gets bored and quits.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

namad posted:

I really really liked that chain push agent355 did in that first half. Does grab make chain pushing any easier? Was grab a joke vote? or will our 3rd or 4th lvl3 saurus end up with it?

Grab is a legit good skill that lets you do things like pull a guy backwards so you can punch him again next turn without following up. Or toss him sideways into another punch. Or leave him next to the krox so they cant dodge out.

Guard won because while its boring as poo poo, hording all the 2dbs to yourself is super good, not because grab is a joke.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

uPen posted:

A quick death.

Ah, I see you too want him to have Diving Tackle so that he can conveniently be placed on the ground for stomping*.

*And all also cause lots of turnovers or something unimportant like that

e: Other skill suggestions. Shadowing, so that agent is encouraged to base other players*
*or just the ball and spots where he thinks people might forget about shadowing and dodge past if he's too attached to things like playing smart

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Shadowing is a general skill, so while it would be fantastically obnoxious on him he can't use it yet.

EDIT: Catch doesn't really help on Fleetfoot because we have nobody to pass the ball to him and nobody that could even sanely develop into a thrower.

Huh, so it is.

Catch is actually deceptively good on lizards because it works on hand offs.

• Locked thread