Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Sounds a lot like X-COM when you put it that way.
It absolutely scratches some of the same itches as X-COM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

EvilUrchin posted:

I disagree with the sentiment that the Beast of Nurgle isn't a good big guy. Sure he's unreliable, but he starts with Tentacles, so he is just fine standing there and doing nothing.
I agree with this.

Sure, it's got Really Stupid, but once the Beast has a couple people in tentacle range, there's not much reason to activate it. I see it having Mighty Blow (and later possibly Claw) as mostly to discourage throwing -2dbs against it to try to free up players without anteing up the assists for a more favorable block. So it's a big dumb punching bag that you have to go after to free up the 2-3 players already uselessly stuck to it. Oh, and it took Stand Firm after leveling, so you'd better not roll pushes after setting up a 2db against it or you accomplished nothing beyond getting another dude stuck and I will laugh at you.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Agent355 posted:

A couple things, for me personally. Most goons will generally agree but I've found different people will give you different answers on exactly why dwarfs are megahitlers.

1. They're all av9 with thick skull, except the runner and trollslayers (which groggy pubs won't even take). This means that punching them generally does nothing, so even if you out manuever them you're going to have a hard time actually gaining a man advantage, which is really a problem because...

2. They tend to all stack up on each other because they're so drat slow. You don't get what happens with the lizards in the videos, where I have a few here and a few there, making plays across the pitch and trying to trade effectively. You have 11 dorfs all stacked up in a big puddle in something we'd call a mega bunker, which simply has so many men in it that you can't ever blitz the ball carrier because there are just too many people, who you can't ever remove from the pitch, creating a big immobile wall. This leads to...

3. They can't score in less than 8 turns (generally), they just make a big pile and move one square at a time down the pitch waiting for you to fail some blocks or dodges. Because they move in a big group and generally pile on guard, you're going to have a hard time punching them and even when you do punch them it's not going to DO anything.

So all this kinda combines into a dorf offense that is mostly 8 turns of slowly punching and not moving much, often not even moving 1 square a turn. Then the half ends and the dorfs don't score, because they're slow and boring. Playing offense vs dorfs is much the same except because they're so slow they can't stack up against you, or you just run around them. So they spread out which makes them easy to punch which means you just score against them and go back to playing defense vs dorfs.

So basically every single dorf game you will win 1:0 and have no fun at any point because 80% of it is playing defense vs a team that doesn't move, doesn't react to getting punched, and can't make any meaningful progress on the pitch.

4. Dwarf linemen come with Block and Tackle, which means the team starts out as a hard counter to a couple of the more crazy funhaver teams (and also Amazons, but it's not like there's a shitload of zon teams around to be countered). Simply by entering a league, they discourage teams that are goofy fun to play against from existing.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I'll be nice and vote for security gate because I'm not a fan of pitch invasions.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Especially when most of the players with agility only already start with the only really good agility skill.
Side Step and Jump Up both take issue with this statement. Though I guess Jump Up isn't as handy on a ST2 player.

• Locked thread