Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Srice posted:

If the argument you're making is he deserves a fair trial then, hell, I agree.

He should publish If I Deserved It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
pictured: a Brandon Sanderson fan reporting a botl post:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mate

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

People defend OJ Simpson, 21st century white people edition.

:mrgw:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Srice posted:

If the argument you're making is he deserves a fair trial then, hell, I agree.

his trial was 'can BOTL only be an rear end in a top hat in his containment thread' and the verdict was NO

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What is BOTL?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
BotL presented a unique moderation problem because he made legitimately insightful effortposts, but also shamelessly trolled all over the forums. I'm sad to see him banned, but I'm not surprised, and I can't really fault the mods for their decision.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I miss his Clevin edits in the Kill 6 Billion Demons thread, even though I have never read Strong Female Protagonist and so have no idea who Clevin is.

Of course some goons hate fun and so banned him from BSS vOv

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The DPRK posted:

What is BOTL?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2800

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

when Lowtax passes on the forum to a revitalized LF you will be first against the wall

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I want to point out that is objectively one of the funniest posts I have ever read

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Do you have a beard Mel?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Of course

Mostly because I have taken to shaving my head and dont want to completely hide that I am a ginger

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

A fitting epitaph. For the record, I generally think the admins+mods do a great and obviously thankless job volunteering to keep the peace among goons.

But this peace, it shall destroy many

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The tree of shitposting must occasionally be refreshed from time to time with the blood of gimmick accounts

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've said it before but I want to say that I genuinely hold no grudge against Hieronymous or the forums, I just notice he has been uptight recently and I have a bad puckish habit of wanting to antagonize people when they are uptight

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

The DPRK posted:

What is BOTL?

A miserable pile of shitposts.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've said it before but I want to say that I genuinely hold no grudge against Hieronymous or the forums, I just notice he has been uptight recently and I have a bad puckish habit of wanting to antagonize people when they are uptight

lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I just read the words "inclined ramp" in a Culture book and it triggered me. is there such a thing as a non-inclined ramp, does Banks think we will confuse it with a vegetable?

I like Culture in general but Banks uses too many words. does this carry over to his non-sf fiction? can you tell they're written by the same guy?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Taiwan group chat got into a heated conversation about whether or not magic in Harry Potter was a good metaphor for capitalism as a result of the banning, so good job trolling from beyond the grave Bravest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

I just read the words "inclined ramp" in a Culture book and it triggered me. is there such a thing as a non-inclined ramp, does Banks think we will confuse it with a vegetable?

I like Culture in general but Banks uses too many words. does this carry over to his non-sf fiction? can you tell they're written by the same guy?

Theoretically I guess you could have a non-inclined ramp in a zero-g space. OTOH even an incline of zero degrees is, technically, an incline. All surfaces are inclined.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

On occasion I have to be nice to Hieronymous because he is probably the best mod we could have other than chernobyl and they won't let him be mod

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Theoretically I guess you could have a non-inclined ramp in a zero-g space. OTOH even an incline of zero degrees is, technically, an incline. All surfaces are inclined.

the word inclined has now appeared three times on this page, twice as "inclined plane" and once as "inclined ramp" so I'm thinkin he really just loves that word

In total this two-page scene uses "inclined plane" four times, "inclined ramp" once, and "slope" twice. this angled surface must be very important

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

the word inclined has now appeared three times on this page, twice as "inclined plane" and once as "inclined ramp" so I'm thinkin he really just loves that word

Sounds like he has an . . . inclination :finger guns:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

On occasion I have to be nice to Hieronymous because he is probably the best mod we could have other than chernobyl and they won't let him be mod

no I meant that you're the most uptight of all of us brother

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

no I meant that you're the most uptight of all of us brother

I am also an enormous hypocrit

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

my bony fealty posted:

You cannot tell because Ian Banks wrote fiction and Ian M. Banks wrote sci-fi.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am also an enormous hypocrit

Literally, who isn't? Hypocrisy is such a basic human trait it's stupid we even talk about it. Without hypocrisy, there is no aspiration nor drive to better ourselves.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pseudanonymous posted:

Literally, who isn't?
It's like racism. Probably almost everyone is at least a little bit racist subconsciously, but when we say "wow that dude's racist" we're talking about a particularly blatant example.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, I offer here the final message from Bravest of the Lamps:

quote:

Comrade goons,

My time on SomethingAwful was a period during which I had the privilege to be hated by a great many people. I was also subject to sometimes cultish admiration by a far smaller group. I will always treasure the novelty of both extremes.

This period, barring an unlikely change of heart from the admin team, is over. This is obviously an immense loss for everyone, but I cannot say that I will regret it too much. When I found myself behind a paywall, unable to see why exactly I was banned, I felt liberated instead of aggrieved. Like Adam and Eve cast out of Eden, the world has opened for me to take my “solitary way” through it.

While I have enjoyed SA, posting became in itself an obligation. Checking on the forums was such a ubiquitous waste of time that it became instinctive whenever I was idly waiting for anything. When I now browse on the phone, I physically feel the confusion of not being able to log in. Yet I also never have to post another webcomic or meandering essay there ever again.

I suppose I have more time for books now.

I am probably not entirely done with SA, but if I rereg (or have I already???), it’s only for the purpose of lurking. I have no desire to be anyone else on the site. The Lamp is dead – bury it.

So to everyone on SA, thanks for making posting here an experience. There are other worlds. This one is done with me. Though I suppose you can always hit me up on Discord.

And remember,

Always Be Clevin.

Courageously, illuminatingly yours
Lamps (dead and loving it)

PS. Please support SomethingAwful, whether through donations and purchases, on Lowtax’s Patreon page, or ideally through both. It’s what I would have wanted.

Truly he was too good for us

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Cicero posted:

It's like racism. Probably almost everyone is at least a little bit racist subconsciously, but when we say "wow that dude's racist" we're talking about a particularly blatant example.

I think this is a huge part of why racism remains an issue to this day, how we frame the issue of racism, and how many people think "being racist" is using particular slurs and nothing else. As long as they don't use those slurs (they do when they cut off in traffic or ganked in a MOBA) they "aren't racist" - racists are the members of the KKK or whatever.

If people acknowledged that being racist is part of the human condition, and it's something you have to actively stop yourself from doing, we could probably move a lot further on to "solving racism".

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

this is a masterpiece

McCloud posted:

:smith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

McCloud posted:

Vaguely offended by the cultish admiration line but fare thee well noble poo poo-stirrer

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

McCloud posted:

drat, that's pretty classy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Remember the time he called someone a pedo for arguing with him.

Occasionally he said something interesting but he didn’t invent effortposts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I post this in QCS but I think it deserves a brief inclusion here

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the problem with this naive assertion is that Hieronymous and other mods have commented that they receive literally dozens of reports any time anyone says anything critical in any thread. Part of the whole tongue in cheek hero worship of BotL was that he didn't give a poo poo if he got probated for it. Like, there seems to be this idea that you HAVE to be positive, and cannot express any sort of negative perspective or else its trolling.

Like, check this out.

I was a fan of a podcast, I listened to an episode and didn't like it. I wanted to ask if anyone else was having that feeling. Or at the very least, I wanted to share my perspective.

I didn't do it as trolling. I didn't do it as an insult. I couched it in literally the most benign language possible.

These were some of the responses I got

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877580&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post492683254

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877580&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post492662670

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877580&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post492673821

Hell, two years ago I made a genuine effort to explore stuff I was skeptical about and reached out to the Sci-Fi thread for recs. When I commented about stuff I didn't like, dudes got super mad.

I once had a dude get super pissed off because I bought a book, explicitly laid out my problem with the prose, and he called me a troll because there was no way a real person could not honestly like Gene Wolfe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&userid=183592&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post486366044

The fact of the matter is, fanboys run rampant and frequently shut down any attempt to engage in discussion that isn't 100% positive at all times. Most of us who liked BotL were people who made genuine efforts and found themselves annoyed when people flipped out.

This is my main frustration going forward and something I would like to see this subforum and some of its posters improve on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm closing this since it's just posting about posters now. I'll reopen it later, in the meantime everyone can take it to QCS. If someone wants to post this thread again but without all the baggage, feel free.

Edit: To clarify, this isn't a punishment, it's just a lot easier to respond in QCS instead of the same discussion happening in parallel here

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks everyone! Please enjoy the thread.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thanks everyone! Please enjoy the thread.

thread should probably be goldmined because there's a heap of interesting posts in it but also so the new thread can be something of a break from the botl bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, agreed. Goldmine or purgatory this one and move onto a fresh thread.