Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

BotL can you eventually review some fantasy you like? Maybe Jack Vance or something. Just so the people who think you HATE FUN will shut up

But it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

:ssh: We don't want them to know that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fitz makes more sense as a portrait of a schizoid; like Counsellor Troi, his erratic, tempestuous superpower is to look at people, and imagine what they might be feeling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

BotL can you eventually review some fantasy you like? Maybe Jack Vance or something. Just so the people who think you HATE FUN will shut up

BotL once positively reviewed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, for what it's worth: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=191162#post451886108

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Lightning Lord posted:

Or take the time to explain why what you're saying is bad, is actually bad. Or explain what you think good literature is or accomplishes. Right now you're just using pejoratives and begging the question.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

BotL once positively reviewed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, for what it's worth

Nowadays I'm liable to call it just gimmicky, but my next review is ready soon and is about a good fantasy novel! The best fantasy novel!

just another posted:

Or take the time to explain why what you're saying is bad, is actually bad. Or explain what you think good literature is or accomplishes. Right now you're just using pejoratives and begging the question.

You seem to either have not read the review, or simply decided that nothing in it counted as criticism. The mention of how striving for psychologically realistic and complex bildungsroman that includes characters that could have walked out of Pilgrim's Progress is a colossal mismatch, for example, does not count for some reason.

I could also point out that Assassin's Apprentice is so loving mawkish that the protagonist has two beloved dogs die on him.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nowadays I'm liable to call it just gimmicky, but my next review is ready soon and is about a good fantasy novel! The best fantasy novel!

You seem to either have not read the review, or simply decided that nothing in it counted as criticism. The mention of how striving for psychologically realistic and complex bildungsroman that includes characters that could have walked out of Pilgrim's Progress is a colossal mismatch, for example, does not count for some reason.

I could also point out that Assassin's Apprentice is so loving mawkish that the protagonist has two beloved dogs die on him.

You're confusing being critical with literary criticism. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the point of this thread.

For example, "striving for psychologically realistic and complex bildungsroman that includes characters that could have walked out of Pilgrim's Progress is a colossal mismatch" is not self-evidently true, but you don't do much to support the claim. You certainly don't allow that there might be creatively fertile ground there, or that the author is creating a deliberate juxtaposition. You simply take the least generous interpretation (ie. bad writing) and treat it as evidence of a foregone conclusion.

To take another example: with the character names, you haven't crafted much of an argument for why it's necessarily bad writing that explains why the nobility is successful in inculcating certain character traits through their naming scheme (and presumably through subsequent education and childrearing). You don't ask what that might mean within the novel, or what the author might be attempting. Rather, you handwave it away -- not even as a poorly executed conceit -- but as idiocy. And that's taking it completely at face value that your assertion of literalism is correct.

You wear your prejudices are on your sleeve, of course. "Hobb’s 'world-building' is as insipid as all such efforts," (emphasis mine) doesn't leave much room for debate, and your specific arguments for why the world building is "insipid" amount to arguments of personal taste. For example, "Fitz, Verity, Molly Chandler, Buckkeep, the Fool, Farrow, the Mountain Kingdom, and so on – hint at fairy-tale simplicity completely unlike Hobb’s plaintive pseudo-realism" -- Why? How so? Have you never seen a map of England (or read its history, for that matter)? Have you never seen the ludicrous naming conventions of early New England? Why is her use of "Capitalized Nouns" a bad thing? Furthermore, why are all worldbuilding efforts insipid?

And I still don't think you actually understand what "the medium is the message" means, because it doesn't mean "[n]on-fantastical prose does not produce fantastical literature."

Your critique is at its strongest when you contrast the world of the novel with the realities of a feudal society and begin to suggest that the book fails as a critique of feudal power structures. There's probably an interesting essay in there about what our fantastical interpretations of feudal society says about - I don't know - how we are conditioned to view those in power. But you're so busy maligning the book and the author as failures that you don't really explore your actually interesting ideas. You're asserting the novel is bad (and that this thread is about "why your favourite sci-fi and fantasy is bad,") without explaining why your definition of "bad" is accurate or relevant or interesting, without explaining what your definition of "bad" actually is, and without explaining what a "good" novel is or does differently. You proceed as though we're all already in agreement about what constitutes "bad" and "good" literature, and thereby give lie to the idea that you are examining things through a "literary" or scholarly lens. Without any kind of framework against which to judge the soundness of your arguments, it's more accurate to call the thread "BravestOfTheLamps shits on genre fiction" and dispense with idea that anything about this thread, other than word choice (and even then), is sophisticated.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Harrow posted:

BotL once positively reviewed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, for what it's worth: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=191162#post451886108

Huh. Okay, fair enough.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

For example, "striving for psychologically realistic and complex bildungsroman that includes characters that could have walked out of Pilgrim's Progress is a colossal mismatch" is not self-evidently true, but you don't do much to support the claim. You certainly don't allow that there might be creatively fertile ground there, or that the author is creating a deliberate juxtaposition. You simply take the least generous interpretation (ie. bad writing) and treat it as evidence of a foregone conclusion.

To take another example: with the character names, you haven't crafted much of an argument for why it's necessarily bad writing that explains why the nobility is successful in inculcating certain character traits through their naming scheme (and presumably through subsequent education and childrearing).

I notice that you don't make any appeals to the qualities of the actual novel. The closest you do is an appeal to how the fictional world works as if it was documentary evidence - "this is how children are raised in the Six Duchies". I'm on the other hand speaking of literary purposes - the morality play names are used for very literal characterisation. Shrewd is intellligent, Verity is true and honest, and Regal wants the throne. This is literalism. This is not juxtaposed against the psychological realism of Fitz, it's simply presented as a given, much like how Prince Regal is really as cartoonishly evil as he appears to be.

Instead of trying to prove that Assassin's Apprentice isn't idiotic, you're trying argue whether or not someone can accurately call a novel idiotic. This is a path that leads only to failure.

just another posted:

You wear your prejudices are on your sleeve, of course. "Hobb’s 'world-building' is as insipid as all such efforts," (emphasis mine) doesn't leave much room for debate, and your specific arguments for why the world building is "insipid" amount to arguments of personal taste. For example, "Fitz, Verity, Molly Chandler, Buckkeep, the Fool, Farrow, the Mountain Kingdom, and so on – hint at fairy-tale simplicity completely unlike Hobb’s plaintive pseudo-realism" -- Why? How so? Have you never seen a map of England (or read its history, for that matter)? Have you never seen the ludicrous naming conventions of early New England? Why is her use of "Capitalized Nouns" a bad thing? Furthermore, why are all worldbuilding efforts insipid?

Here your argument just falls apart - what literary significance is there in that Assassin's Apprentice might be following the naming conventions of historical New England?

"World-building" efforts are always insipid because it's a cargo-cult method of storytelling. A milieu or a setting is simply a tool for storytelling, but bad authors mistake it for a powerful magic that they must imitate to win power and wealth. Thus all the nonsense about "living, breathing worlds" with long histories and great stores of lore.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 11, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the great vanity of world building has always been the assumption that you are creating something new and not merely recycling tropes with new names.

"world building" very rarely falls out of psuedo-arthurian medieval fuedalism, and when it does it just uses a different already widely understood foundational mythology

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

"World-building" efforts are always insipid because it's a cargo-cult method of storytelling. A milieu or a setting is simply a tool for storytelling, but bad authors mistake it for a powerful magic that they must imitate to win power and wealth. Thus all the nonsense about "living, breathing worlds" with long histories and great stores of lore.

This seems like a functionally circular argument; you're just asserting that thing bad because thing bad. What do you think "cargo cult storytelling" means? Cargo cults are themselves stories told. Then you assert "bad authors do X," but don't say what good authors do (perhaps because you don't think good authors can, definitionally, write alternate world settings, because then they wouldn't be good authors, etc.?

just another posted:

You're confusing being critical with literary criticism. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the point of this thread.

.. . .

You're asserting the novel is bad (and that this thread is about "why your favourite sci-fi and fantasy is bad,") without explaining why your definition of "bad" is accurate or relevant or interesting, without explaining what your definition of "bad" actually is, and without explaining what a "good" novel is or does differently. You proceed as though we're all already in agreement about what constitutes "bad" and "good" literature, and thereby give lie to the idea that you are examining things through a "literary" or scholarly lens. Without any kind of framework against which to judge the soundness of your arguments, it's more accurate to call the thread "BravestOfTheLamps shits on genre fiction" and dispense with idea that anything about this thread, other than word choice (and even then), is sophisticated.

This is how most of BoL's arguments strike me too. "Good" and "Bad" seem like functionally irrelevant measures to me, absent the description of a purpose for which the work is good or bad, a goal which it either achieves or fails to achieve, the wants and preferences of a particular reader, or some other measure by which "good" and "bad" can be measured; ultimately, "good" and "bad" are purely relative and subjective terms, not objective ones. For example, if a given reader wants to read heroic quest stories of adventure, Robin Hobb's novel Dragon Keeper would be a really bad choice, but a different imagined reader who wanted to read a story about strong independent women raising Dragon Babies, they'd be striking gold.Personally, I regret the hours of my life I wasted reading the thing, but that's just my personal reaction.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the great vanity of world building has always been the assumption that you are creating something new and not merely recycling tropes with new names.

"world building" very rarely falls out of psuedo-arthurian medieval fuedalism, and when it does it just uses a different already widely understood foundational mythology

Eh, not really. Perhaps that's the notion in the head of some particularly noxious authors (Terry Goodkind might be imagining he's wholly original), but generally what people mean when they say there's "good world building" is that the author has made Coleridge's "willing suspension of disbelief" particularly easy. "Originality" can help that goal -- in the same sense that taking a vacation to a place you've never been before can be more fulfilling than a vacation to somewhere you've been frequently -- but it may not be necessary to the goal. A vacation to the same beach you visit every summer may still be preferable to just staying at work.

Tolkien wrote about this topic in his essay On Fairy Stories: http://brainstorm-services.com/wcu-2004/fairystories-tolkien.pdf. Because he starts defining his own terms ("sub-creator") and standards it's hard to find a good passage to quote, but these are decently relevant:

quote:

Children are capable, of course, of literary belief, when the story-maker's art is good enough to produce it. That state of mind has been called “willing suspension of disbelief.” But this does not seem to me a good description of what happens. What really happens is that thestory-maker proves a successful “sub-creator.” He makes a Secondary World which your mind can enter. Inside it, what he relates is “true”: it accords with the laws of that world. You therefore believe it, while you are, as it were, inside. The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed. You are then out in the Primary World again, looking at the little abortive Secondary World from outside. If you are obliged, by kindliness or circumstance, to stay, then disbelief must be suspended (or stifled), otherwise listening and looking would become intolerable. But this suspension of disbelief is a substitute for the
genuine thing, a subterfuge we use when condescending to games or make-believe, or when trying (more or less willingly) to find what virtue we can in the work of an art that has for us failed.

A real enthusiast for cricket is in the enchanted state: Secondary Belief. I, when I watch a match, am on the lower level. I can achieve (more or less) willing suspension of disbelief, when I am held there and supported by some other motive that will keep away boredom: for
instance, a wild, heraldic, preference for dark blue rather than light. This suspension of disbelief may thus be a somewhat tired, shabby, or sentimental state of mind, and so lean to
the “adult.” I fancy it is often the state of adults in the presence of a fairy-story. They are held there and supported by sentiment (memories of childhood, or notions of what childhood ought to be like); they think they ought to like the tale. But if they really liked it, for itself, they would not have to suspend disbelief: they would believe—in this sense.

quote:

I have claimed that Escape is one of the main functions of fairy-stories, and since I do not disapprove of them, it is plain that I do not accept the tone of scorn or pity with which “Escape” is now so often used: a tone for which the uses of the word outside literary criticism
give no warrant at all. In what the misusers are fond of calling Real Life, Escape is evidently as a rule very practical, and may even be heroic. In real life it is difficult to blame it, unless it fails; in criticism it would seem to be the worse the better it succeeds. Evidently we are faced
by a misuse of words, and also by a confusion of thought. Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he
thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls? The world outside has not become less real because the prisoner cannot see it. In using escape in this way the critics
have chosen the wrong word, and, what is more, they are confusing, not always by sincere error, the Escape of the Prisoner with the Flight of the Deserter.

Note how Tolkien is careful to define success and failure in relation to the tastes of a particular reader.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 11, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I notice that you don't make any appeals to the qualities of the actual novel.
I haven't read the novel and so I can't make appeals to its qualities. It's irrelevant, however, because I'm discussing your critical approach and not the novel.

quote:

The closest you do is an appeal to how the fictional world works as if it was documentary evidence - "this is how children are raised in the Six Duchies". I'm on the other hand speaking of literary purposes - the morality play names are used for very literal characterisation. Shrewd is intellligent, Verity is true and honest, and Regal wants the throne. This is literalism. This is not juxtaposed against the psychological realism of Fitz, it's simply presented as a given, much like how Prince Regal is really as cartoonishly evil as he appears to be.
I'm not treating the novel like a documentary and you're not speaking about literary purpose. I know you're not speaking about literary purpose because you don't bother thinking or talking about what the naming convention might signify beyond the author's failure as a writer and storyteller. That's why I pointed out that " [y]ou don't ask what that might mean within the novel, or what the author might be attempting." You simply chalk it up as more evidence of bad writing and your analysis ends there.

Regarding the juxtaposition of psychological realism with morality play characters, you're missing that they are juxtaposed, whether you like it or not. The interesting critique is whether or not that juxtaposition was intentional, and if it was intentional, to what extent it succeeds in creating meaning or in creating interesting commentary. If it was unintentional, then you could think on what it tells us about the author and their storytelling goals, and from there you could potentially conclude that they're simply bad at writing. It's unfalsifiable and boring but it at least follows in a way "there's no juxtaposition but also its evidence of bad writing" doesn't.

quote:

what literary significance is there in that Assassin's Apprentice might be following the naming conventions of historical New England?
My point isn't that the names were selected as a conscious allusion to e.g. historical New England, my point is that your particular objection to the place and character names is baseless, and yet you still universalize it as evidence for why the novel is undeniably bad.

quote:

Instead of trying to prove that Assassin's Apprentice isn't idiotic, you're trying argue whether or not someone can accurately call a novel idiotic. This is a path that leads only to failure.
I'm arguing that, if you're going to call a novel and its author idiotic, and in fact make that your core idea, then you need to establish what you mean by "idiotic" and not just assume we all already know and agree with your definition. Absent an agreed-upon definition, I don't think you can accurately call a novel idiotic. It's a semantic argument but it's an important one because it provides the framework for everything else.

I can't stress this enough: you don't actually explain why anything that you label as "bad", is bad.

At least your argument for why world building is insipid has some meat to it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I see what you mean but if good world building is creating a world that is consistent to the writer why are all these celebrated fantasy writers praised for having long complex lore that is basically recycled tropes from Nordic myth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

just another posted:

Absent an agreed-upon definition, I don't think you can accurately call a novel idiotic. It's a semantic argument but it's an important one because it provides the framework for everything else.

I can't stress this enough: you don't actually explain why anything that you label as "bad", is bad.

Well, you can call a novel "idiotic" regardless, it just doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Take, for example, the film Dumb and Dumber. I think everyone would agree that it is "idiotic"; if nothing else, it's a film about and concerning idiots. But some people think it's hilarious and some people think it's just incredibly stupid. If you judge it by "does it achieve the intended effect," it's great. If you judge it by "was it commercially successful," it's a Great Work of Art because it made zillions. If you judge it by "does this appeal to viewers seeking humor above the level of a ten year old," it's a miserable failure. If you judge it by "does it appeal to ten year olds" it's amazing. etc., etc., etc.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I see what you mean but if good world building is creating a world that is consistent to the writer why are all these celebrated fantasy writers praised for having long complex lore that is basically recycled tropes from Nordic myth.

"Celebrated" is relative too. I think the answer to that probably varies by author. In some cases there's some real artistic merit to their works (Tolkien, for example), in others "celebrated" probably just means "mass market appeal" and the mass market isn't always that discerning. If I had to make a shot at a generalized answer though, I'd posit that in many cases the authors are being celebrated for things other than originality as such.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

The only reason you should waste your time critiquing a genre is if you actually want to see it get better. You do that by picking out the best and explaining why that succeeds over everything else. If you actually believe that all genre fiction is bad (which it is), then it's utterly pointless to write critically about it, because it's not possible to pick out the best.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bandiet posted:

The only reason you should waste your time critiquing a genre is if you actually want to see it get better. You do that by picking out the best and explaining why that succeeds over everything else.

Come on man

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bandiet posted:

The only reason you should waste your time critiquing a genre is if you actually want to see it get better.

There's no such thing as "better." Quality is an illusion devised by Satan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Less facetiously, I genuinely don't understand peoples objections.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, you can call a novel "idiotic" regardless, it just doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Take, for example, the film Dumb and Dumber. I think everyone would agree that it is "idiotic"; if nothing else, it's a film about and concerning idiots. But some people think it's hilarious and some people think it's just incredibly stupid. If you judge it by "does it achieve the intended effect," it's great. If you judge it by "was it commercially successful," it's a Great Work of Art because it made zillions. If you judge it by "does this appeal to viewers seeking humor above the level of a ten year old," it's a miserable failure. If you judge it by "does it appeal to ten year olds" it's amazing. etc., etc., etc.

This is true, but it leads to the question, "by what criteria is BotL judging Assassin’s Apprentice?"

Well:

Hobb’s “world-building” is as insipid as all such efforts, because any milieu is only as interesting as the prose that conveys it.

[...]

Above all else, Hobb’s book suffers from an issue endemic to genre fiction: the insistence on pseudo-realistic prose that has a banalising effect on any story being told.

[...]

Hobb writes a dark, violent bildungsroman about a feudal society, but lacks either the ability or the integrity to explore its nature. Master-servant relationships are sickeningly idealized without recognition of their troubling nature, despite some token effort:

[quote wherein it is discussed that political murder is bad omited]

The novel contradicts this, as all capacity for evil and injustice is shouldered onto figures of embarrassing unambiguity. This is why the token recognition falls flat, and why Hobb’s feudal fantasy is so offensive.

[...]

Ethical and psychological complexities collapse into adolescent fantasy. This is Assassin’s Apprentice in a nutshell.
[emphases mine]

BotL has judged the book on the quality of it's prose, and on it's depiction of society.

Now, no one in this thread has argued that Assassin’s Apprentice has good prose (for good reason) and no one has argued that Assassin’s Apprentice depictions of society are not juvenile or offensive.

So... what are peoples objections, then?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I already love this thread.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no such thing as "better." Quality is an illusion devised by Satan.

i love satan

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

also please dont post spoilers in your criticism, just hint at things

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Schwarzwald posted:

Less facetiously, I genuinely don't understand peoples objections.

This is true, but it leads to the question, "by what criteria is BotL judging Assassin’s Apprentice?"

Well:
[emphases mine]

BotL has judged the book on the quality of it's prose, and on it's depiction of society.

Now, no one in this thread has argued that Assassin’s Apprentice has good prose (for good reason) and no one has argued that Assassin’s Apprentice depictions of society are not juvenile or offensive.

So... what are peoples objections, then?

That's fair, sure.

My objection was just that he was making a lot of assertions that things were "bad" without connecting up the links. He does say that the prose is bad, but it sounds like there are a lot of other, relatively unspecified additional reasons why the book is "bad" in addition to the prose, or perhaps he was using "prose" as a referrent for a lot of different types of flaws (poor characterization, oversentimental tone, etc.)

I don't want to put words in BoL's mouth but if his argument is basically "bad prose style" I think that may need more precise examples -- like, Strunk and White style "here are all the words she could cut out," specific examples of strained metaphors, etc. I may be thinking of "bad prose" in a more specific sense than BoL is meaning it.

Note I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the book is "bad", within the meaning of a specific definition of "bad." As above, I've only read one Robin Hobb book and I would rather read a phone book than ever read its sequel, but I can imagine a theoretical, reasonably probable reader (probably not a too-discerning reader, admittedly) who would have enjoyed it. I don't remember too much about the prose style itself but the criticism of "mawkish" seemed spot on for both the characters and plot.

But "Mawkish" is a specific and definite and meaningful criticism; "bad" isn't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 12, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

- I'm not treating the novel like a documentary and you're not speaking about literary purpose. I know you're not speaking about literary purpose because you don't bother thinking or talking about what the naming convention might signify beyond the author's failure as a writer and storyteller.

- Regarding the juxtaposition of psychological realism with morality play characters, you're missing that they are juxtaposed, whether you like it or not. The interesting critique is whether or not that juxtaposition was intentional, and if it was intentional, to what extent it succeeds in creating meaning or in creating interesting commentary.

- My point isn't that the names were selected as a conscious allusion to e.g. historical New England, my point is that your particular objection to the place and character names is baseless, and yet you still universalize it as evidence for why the novel is undeniably bad.

- I'm arguing that, if you're going to call a novel and its author idiotic, and in fact make that your core idea, then you need to establish what you mean by "idiotic" and not just assume we all already know and agree with your definition.

- I quite explicitly said that the morality place names were used for very literal characterisation. That is their literary purpose.
- I quite explicitly said that it was presented as matter of fact (a "given") instead of being "intentionally" juxtaposed (intentions do not matter). The names are as accurate as they seem. This is compared to how a character exemplifies ridiculous, shallow ("cartoonish") morality, i.e., I was saying that the juxtaposition was not interesting.
- You don't seem to even have realized that I was not criticizing names like Fitz or Molly Chandler. I was comparing their fairy tale - like simplicity to Hobb's language of self-pity.
- Have you considered investing in a dictionary?

e:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't want to put words in BoL's mouth but if his argument is basically "bad prose style" I think that may need more precise examples -- like, Strunk and White style "here are all the words she could cut out," specific examples of strained metaphors, etc. I may be thinking of "bad prose" in a more specific sense than BoL is meaning it.

That's fair.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 12, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Re: world building, the amount of time wannabe authors spend worrying about """""world building""""" as opposed to actually writing a story is a good demonstration of how silly it is. Plenty of beginners that I've sat in workshops with could fill several encyclopedias with their hyper'apostr'ophe'ed names, fake histories, and sex ninja fairy cultures but if you asked them what their protagonist's name was and what their story arc is, they just stare at you with their mouths hanging open.

World building can be a fine thing but people are still making the same mistake: they don't understand what a setting is for so they waste time on useless details rather than figuring out what their conflict is.

The scifi/fantasy field is stupidly obsessed with this quirk and it actively hobbles writers from growing and improving the actual nuts and bolts of writing, which are sentence composition, plotting, and character development.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always felt genre fiction gets singled out unfairly, mostly because bad genre fiction at least has spaceships and/or dragons in it that make it more fun to mock, while bad literary fiction is just boring.

(until the sex scenes start, then wowee!)

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Maybe the problem is interpreting world building as a failure to achieve something else rather than as an end unto itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough, I'm reminded of overbuilt fantasy TTRPG settings, which have extensive world histories, metaplot and weird supernatural things, but don't seem to be clear on where exactly the players are supposed to fit into it.

A lot of wannabe authors don't realise that to an extent, you should and need to build the world around the story you want to tell in it, the other way around is a lot harder. (and in that case, why not do historical fiction, or heaven forbid real world fiction where all the worldbuilding is done for you?)

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I was going to say that I'm sure it's only a matter of time before fantasy encyclopedias (e.g. World of Ice and Fire) are published as their own genre and then I realized that was basically what campaign settings are.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

just another posted:

That's about 50% of all literary criticism, though. Someone dislikes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively bad other than projecting motives onto the author.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Someone likes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively good other than projecting motives onto the author.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Someone likes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively good other than projecting motives onto the author.

Neither are good.

Also help me. What is the difference between 'genre fiction' and 'literature'?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Not that I especially want to go to bat for the adolescent fantasy, but I don't think the point about the naming convention is quite right. Chivalry is an adulterer (this one was subtle, I admit); Verity uses deceit in his magic, even with Fitz; Shrewd is noted as pretty stupid when it comes to family and marriage, and eventually goes senile; "regal" does not simply mean "wants to be a king". The characterisation is not quite as absolute as Bravest makes out, and the effect is to create ironic tension between these characters' actions and their socially-constructed self-image - in turn, the conflict to reconcile multiple, often contradictory, social and personal identities is, like, Fitz's basic core struggle and source of teenage angst.

I don't think "world-building" is really the problem with the book either. It didn't seem like Hobb had any particular interest in the setting, beyond ways for it to torment the protagonist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is also lovely, and a huge factor of why most newspaper book critics were terrible.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
when i was 11 i read weaveworld by clive barker and it affected me profoundly, for most of my teenage years i was convinced i'd come from inside that carpet and sometimes in class i'd zone out and think i could feel it distinctly tugging at my mind as it called me home. also i am now sexually attracted to ghosts

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i broke my coccyx falling on my rear end on a basketball court and it wasn't diagnosed for like three years so for all that time i was secretly hoping my persistent rear end pain was because i was growing a tail

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
as for robin hobb i've never read her stuff because medieval fantasy was stale back in like 1970 you pit of stagnant nerds

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

That's about 50% of all literary criticism, though. Someone dislikes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively bad other than projecting motives onto the author.

This is incoherent nonsense

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

there is no such thing as objectively good and objectively bad because the concepts are inherently subjective

However, that doesn't mean all opinions are valid. There exist agreed upon standards of discourse that we can use to assess quality

god bless

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Oh no not projecting motives onto the author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

well to be fair ideally in criticism the author shouldn't even be considered