Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fitz makes more sense as a portrait of a schizoid; like Counsellor Troi, his erratic, tempestuous superpower is to look at people, and imagine what they might be feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Not that I especially want to go to bat for the adolescent fantasy, but I don't think the point about the naming convention is quite right. Chivalry is an adulterer (this one was subtle, I admit); Verity uses deceit in his magic, even with Fitz; Shrewd is noted as pretty stupid when it comes to family and marriage, and eventually goes senile; "regal" does not simply mean "wants to be a king". The characterisation is not quite as absolute as Bravest makes out, and the effect is to create ironic tension between these characters' actions and their socially-constructed self-image - in turn, the conflict to reconcile multiple, often contradictory, social and personal identities is, like, Fitz's basic core struggle and source of teenage angst.

I don't think "world-building" is really the problem with the book either. It didn't seem like Hobb had any particular interest in the setting, beyond ways for it to torment the protagonist.