Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The comments about how Branderson's writing uses fantasy plots as a frame to present a mystery and a logical puzzle puts me in mind of say the 'death game' genre from Japanese fiction. A central part of the appeal of Kaiji, Liar Game etc. is to present a set of rules and then show how they can be manipulated. But it seems wrong to say that characterisation is irrelevant to those stories, so maybe Branderson just can't tell a story that feels well embedded in the game he sets up.

But I mean, I haven't read him and I likely never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFGaXCYktg

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This retrospective by Banks' friend Ken MacLeod is relevant here.

quote:

However friendly he was to the radical left, Iain had little interest in relating the long-range possibility of utopia to radical politics in the here and now. As he saw it, what mattered was to keep the utopian possibility open by continuing technological progress, especially space development, and in the meantime to support whatever policies and politics in the real world were rational and humane.

quote:

In summary, Iain's political views were, by and large, what you'd expect from an Old Labour supporter and Guardian reader with an informed interest in the analyses of the radical left. What was perhaps more unusual than his views was the consistency and tenacity with which he held them, and his confidence that they must in the long run prevail if civilization was to survive.

It's unsurprising, in that context, that the Culture series has a certain horizon to its idea of political possibilities. That said, there's a gap between the propositions 'the ideological universe of the novels is bounded' and 'this is artistically bad'.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I dunno, can't cynicism or pessimism be valid artistic stances?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Federation is also a state with explicit laws and institutions, run by humans and humans-in-makeup, rather than an anarchy controlled by AI cliques.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That's just a semantic quibble, though. There's a big chunk of readers that want a set of imaginary rules they can think their way around and use to construct/engage with drama, in a setting with certain aesthetic elements - swords, dragons, fireballs. This sort of setting is called 'fantasy' and the imaginary rules are called the 'magic' or 'magic system' and that there's other connotations associated with the word 'magic' in other contexts doesn't really matter.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its not a critique of semantics but instead a critique of narrative bankruptcy.

Its pointing out the artistic emptiness of declaring your work fantastical and then toiling to make it as grounded as possible.

The simple fact we allow fantasy to mean "medieval dragon poo poo" is itself a symbol of the lack of any real creativity in the genre

I'm right there with you that most genre fantasy is hollow crank-turning rather than any kind of literature of imagination, but I've never been fond of focusing the complaint on a perceived failure of 'magic' to be 'magical'. It's a specific thing that a story could do to set itself apart from the Branderson style people love to hate, but a story could also do other things, like take up the human engagement with rigid laws as a theme in itself, or explore an interesting what-if scenario that happens to be categorised as fantasy rather than science fiction because it doesn't have spaceships.

The focus on whether magic is 'magical' as the problem rather than a possibility feels like just another way to trap writing in gazing at its own navel and framing itself around its own marketing terms like 'magic' or 'fantasy' or 'science fiction' rather than first focusing on what you might want to achieve with a story and leaving librarians to argue over its genre classification.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I admire Sanderson's professional and hardworking attitude to writing and wish him well in completing his big fancy cosmic cycle thing, but I will never read any of his books.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The distinction between magic and technology in speculative settings is ultimately one of tone and implication, and the tone of magic slips a long way toward technology in 'magic system' style writing. This can be done deliberately - there's plenty of fantastical settings where characters have access to 'magitech'-styled airships and so on.

People not liking this compared to something more numinous is a legitimate aesthetic preferance, but my complaint is with the implication or explication that this is a necessary aesthetic problem rather than a preference, and that genre fantasy's bankruptcy can be traced to this aesthetic decision rather than being of a part with a lot of romance being crappy crank-turning, a lot of thrillers being crappy crank-turning, etc.

Genre fantasy authors could all be straining at the gills to produce atmospheres of mystery and wonder and it would still be mostly mediocre because that's how cultural mass production works in the early 3rd millennium, and that atmosphere of mystery and wonder would itself be a cliche I'd hope some forward thinking authors would try to unravel or look outside of.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While I cannot speak for BotL, one of the reasons I point out this criticism is that genre and the readers of genre tend to avoid any motivation to a level of higher aesthetic and artistic production by retreating into wholly subjective enjoyment. This is deeply frustrating for me because I want sci-fi and fantasy to be better, not simply insult it.

Take, for instance, Hemingway. Hemingway was terrible at creating women, and also not particularly skilled at creating believable dialog. In an academic setting, you can acknowledge these weaknesses of the text without feeling similarly obligated to defend the obvious merits of the work. There is no need to reinforce the majesty of For Whom the Bell Tolls if one wishes to speak as to its weaknesses. However, due to some sort of deep-seeded insecurity in the genre fan-base, you cannot focus on weaknesses in a text so explicitly without a demand for some kind of concession or mea culpa. Take, for instance, William Gibson who is just as terrible as Hemingway in writing women, and for much the same reasons. It seems that bringing up these weaknesses as inherent to the prose of Gibson to his fans often comes across as more controversial than doing the same to fans of Hemingway.

In essence, I sometimes feel genre fiction handicaps its own artistic growth by refusing to separate the wholly personal enjoyment of the text with a more detached critical eye towards the text itself.

big sff fan here, signing on with this

i like the culture books, and i liked botl's post arguing they are bad, quite a lot actually, the more sacred the text the better to burn

his negativity and refusal of subjectivist compromise are a salutary measure against the boosterism and self-absorption that have taken us on the devil's road to Ready Player One

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i don't think much of sanderson as an artist but i kind of respect him as a professional

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

If a writer used litRPG stuff as a plot point in a satirical near future/cyberpunk novel, people would criticize it as being "unrealistic" because of how stupid the whole concept is.

this was Rule 34 by stross and it didn't really move me tbh

for that matter why is every prose depiction of playing a videogame bad

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you can depict anything well but I'd settle for 'not cringeworthy'

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i enjoyed the last of us but the existence of the Sad Dad period of big-budget videogames is extremely funny

bunch of artists mired in middle-age straining to lens their anxieties through the only genre they understand, and certainly the only genre they're allowed to make: goofy macho ultraviolence

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

sotc was good but I was playing titan souls this week and really feel like that general aesthetic (which also runs through e.g. dark souls) has become somewhat exhausted

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The vampires, while clearly trying to 'do something', are the (a) weak link in Blindsight. The effort put into having them 'make sense' makes the ways in which they don't more glaring - why would something that died out before humans invented static structures have such a direct correlate in modern folklore? And why would such an inefficient solution to sophisticated problem-solving have survived through the long dawn of intelligence through apes and mammals, if a far superior solution were just a tiny leap away? These are nitpicks, but they're the game Blindsight has decided to play - the book was under no obligation to try the cheesy scientific-folklore parlour game in the middle of the other stuff it was trying to do.

It's completely reasonable and worthwhile to ground misanthropic anxieties in science rather than religion in the modern age though.

meanwhile it took me a bit of confused scrolling back and forth to figure out there are two different 'the X of Kings' books being discussed on the last page

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

if they're this influenced by videogames they could at least use different coloured text rather than capitalisation

plus you can claim it's based on House of Leaves if challenged

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

alternatively use allcaps and a max word length - SHARDBLD

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'd say Blindsight and Echopraxia very much have rationalist metaphysics, however. 'Intelligence' as a unitary thing, the most important thing in the universe, that manifests mainly in playing seventh-dimensional manipulation games around your inferiors. Watts is just pessimistic about it and detaches it from its usual association with self-consciousness.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there is definitely a sense in which the scramblers and the vampires are cool as poo poo - this is why it has those superfans, it's perfectly placed within the rationalist worldview and aesthetics a lot of SF readers have - but I don't think a perverse fascination with the inhuman is necessarily a flaw for an SF novel

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I've read it and I think the wiki fans are more exaggerating currents that are already there than being full of poo poo, as such. But I think it's nontheless a weak line of criticism that a book whose central horror conceit is the inextricable marriage of functional superiority with (philosophical) death tries to sell both sides of the binary.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That said I do think Blindsight is dragged down and Echopraxia outright crashed by the weakness of their basically comic book vision of intelligence, which is very much rooted in the subcultural model I think we're calling 'rationalism'. When you don't find their vision of how intelligence works plausible the whole thing loses force.

When I think about it I tend to be put in mind of The Invincible by Lem and its intrepid humans and magnificent weapons brought to futility by a locally well-optimised expert system, which I liked a lot more.

hackbunny posted:

Are you familiar with the Dark Enlightenment?

Yes, and you can use the aesthetic of bad singularity Nick Land thrills over to tell effective horror stories. That's basically what he's done to himself. I class Blindsight as cosmic horror.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Well I mean, yeah.

I don't even like Blindsight that much, but you've now argued yourself into declaring misanthropy artistically illegitimate.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm fine with a lot of SFF genre conceits like cool widgets and worldbuilding I'm just less and less tolerant of bad writing.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm reading Ninefox Gambit and there's a ton of cool widgets and the world/technology are 'interesting' but they're described like this:

p8 posted:

Cheris knew the formation's effect had begun to propagate when the world shifted blue and the blacks bent gray. Pir's Fan offered protection agains the weather. It was usually better to rely on the weather-eaters, but Cheris had lost any faith that they would be effective on this mission. Unfortunately, the formation wouldn't shield the unit from a direct hit. She hoped to close with the generator before that became an issue.

This is a space fantasy setting where the 'technology' works depending on what sacred ritual calendar the locals use. The scene here is a psychedelic battle where the geometric formations soldiers use have magical effects. It's the first scene of the book where the author will be looking to make an impact. And the prose flops like a dead fish, we literally know whether the pythagorean magic is working or not based on what photoshop filter is applied to the nonexistent screen.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

can a vampire be an acorn

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbh I agree with the spirit of mel's dragon bugbear* and I would feel annoyed if a reader was fundamentally unwilling to engage in metaphorical transposition of the more abstract qualities of a dragon to an unexpected thing called a 'dragon' in a narrative

like the tension is interesting and productive, it's the literature of imagination not the literature of dictionaries

*a half-dragon bugbear has a strength of 23, 3d10+6 hit dice, and a CR of 4

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I kind of like the ambition of Branderson's project and wish him well in completing it but I am not going to read a single page of it

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the whale facts chapters of moby dick are worldbuilding

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he shined too bright for this fallen world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

all innovators are eventually dismissed as hacks by those who only know the world after they changed it