Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

half the fun of botl is watching self conscious nerds get defensive about criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Sometimes that's the point, sometimes the character drive is about the supporting cast and the protagonist is just a thin veil for the reader/writer to provide the most low effort relatable POV.

In a lot of such stories no matter the medium the complaint I usually hear even from people that love the stuff tends to be focused around how the protagonist is so boring and how it'd be so much better if it was about (supporting character that is much more fleshed out) because at the end of the day the protagonist is still the primary focus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If someone wanted to argue that Mieville is good I can think of nothing more persuasive than this comic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the guy who writes Penny Arcade saying someone else has an obnoxious prose style is some atomic irony

I thought for sure that had to be part of the joke because it'd be too lacking in self awareness if it wasn't. But then I looked at the newspost for that comic and learned that no, it was not.

Guess that's what I get for trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You're getting close to my main point, yea. It's nearly 2 am over here but I will write up something for the thread tomorrow.

I've got an interview with the author and an NYT review I'm going to mention as well, but the big thing is that acting like the orogenes are the poor oppressed minority when they require constant practice *not* to slaughter everyone around them is, uh...really pushing it.

It is of course hereditary which has the awful effect of making ubermenschen and untermenschen an actual, in-universe thing.

In addition to that stuff what I found real odd/dumb about the oppression is the revelation that (I don't think anyone here cares about spoilers but just in case I'll tag it I guess?) the people who were in charge of the system oppressing the orogenes were literally being mind controlled by the earth to do so.

Superpowers as a metaphor for oppression gets dicey enough as is without something like that being added into the mix.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang when I mentioned the stuff about the Earth earlier I just completely forgot that they literally solve the oppression of a certain group by giving the oppressor exactly what it wants. That's a very peculiar message to say the least.

I remember being interested enough in the first book to see where it goes but the combination of the second & third books feeling like they should have been a single book (too much time moving the pieces around so to speak) and, well, that whole conclusion sure left me with a heck of a bitter taste.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also god these names are boring. Almost like they're video game classes, and not something a real culture would come up with.

That's not terribly surprising because he also writes action scenes like a combat log in a random encounter.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Is Brandon Sanderson really worth critiquing? I only ever read him in the last few WoT books, because I needed some kind of closure, and he was just bad. It seems like he's just real bad, and he writes a lot, I mean nobody is breaking down exactly why Xanth novels are bad, because you know, who cares?

In a vacuum, no. But he's a commercial and critical success so I think that's enough to justify someone taking a closer look.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

The screenplay style scene description symbolizes the authors secret admission that visual media are superior in conveying the remnants of fantasticalness that remain in modern fantasy.

The appendices, footnotes and "worldbuilding" monolouges symbolize the authors secret admission that nonfiction (including literal D&D manuals) is superior in expressing the rules based puzzles that define modern scifi (which includes "hard magic").

Looking at those sample chapters I really got the impression that the author wanted to be making this story as a videogame, not a book (hell those footnotes might as well be datalogs). And heck since it got optioned as a tv series before it released I guess it's not impossible that they'll get their wish years down the line.

The astroturfing seems real obvious to me but I'm curious to see just how well it does for itself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As I recall Richard Wright was a communist as well due to the US Communists not treating black people like poo poo.

They treated him better than most white people did, at least. But there were still a number of white communists that were incredibly suspicious if not outright hostile towards the idea of a black man being a writer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Every time I look at the web novel thread to see what's being talked about I see folks talking about how much it sucks to be reading an isekai where the protagonist keeps sex slaves and then they keep reading it anyways. That's my isekai story ty for reading.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The web serial thread is a hell of a place, and I say that as someone who writes a web serial.

I should clarify I meant the one in adtrw! (which is probably not too far removed from the web serial thread here with the only real difference being they read translated stuff instead of stuff originally written in English)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

font color sea posted:

Mistborn is so bizarre because Sanderson can write about rape brothels where women are murdered after sex so as not to produce superpowered babies, but the relationship between his two adult protagonists is completely chaste

I guess even with an impending apocalypse on the horizon the worst sin one can commit in a Sanderson book is premarital sex.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

drat, rip.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Saying that he started the Rothfuss thread is wrong, and saying that most TBB posters had already dismissed Rothfuss is more wrong (the thread was 82 pages long before Bottle even showed up), but the pearl-clutching incredulity at a mock thread's existence on Something Awful has to be the stupidest thing I've seen all week.

Yeah I definitely remember that plenty of people posting there prior to the second book coming out were really positive on Rothfuss, and also that BotL was hardly the first to be really negative about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

And who amongst us is not an tedious poo poo poster most of the time?

Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder; even as a lurker who rarely posts I've accidentally caused meltdowns or gotten weeeird PMs for things I intended as merely cheeky or jocular. I can easily imagine giving into the temptation to just lean into the crazy responses one can get around here.

I hear you on that. The weirdest things can happen over the internet over the most inconsequential poo poo. I've personally had several instances of finding out that a few people have held one-sided grudges against me for years over posts that I simply can't imagine anyone taking offense at, so I can easily imagine how someone who actively goes about things in an aggressive way could attract a horde of such people. I bet that leads to a lot of buck wild PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

People defend OJ Simpson, 21st century white people edition.

If the argument you're making is he deserves a fair trial then, hell, I agree.