Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Mel Mudkiper posted:

half the fun of botl is watching self conscious nerds get defensive about criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Re: world building, the amount of time wannabe authors spend worrying about """""world building""""" as opposed to actually writing a story is a good demonstration of how silly it is. Plenty of beginners that I've sat in workshops with could fill several encyclopedias with their hyper'apostr'ophe'ed names, fake histories, and sex ninja fairy cultures but if you asked them what their protagonist's name was and what their story arc is, they just stare at you with their mouths hanging open.

World building can be a fine thing but people are still making the same mistake: they don't understand what a setting is for so they waste time on useless details rather than figuring out what their conflict is.

The scifi/fantasy field is stupidly obsessed with this quirk and it actively hobbles writers from growing and improving the actual nuts and bolts of writing, which are sentence composition, plotting, and character development.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

At no point have I ever said you can't like a thing. This idea that your tastes somehow shield something you like from criticism is bonkers.

but if what I like is bad then what does that say about me as a person!!??!?!??!!!??!?!

(nothing because taste doesn't reflect morality)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

This is a :can: in its own right. I've seen goons arguing that liking certain kinds of fiction says something about the reader as a person all over the place, and I'm not sure they're always wrong. To be fair, this argument is most often applied either to very overtly political fiction or to power fantasies of a certain very extreme and specific type, but sometimes it shows up beyond that.

The idea that fiction reflects our morality is how we got evangelicals burning Harry Potter because it has witchcraft in it. Does that make every Potterhead a Satan-worshipping warlock?

This is not difficult, what you like in fiction doesn't mean anything about who you are as a person, or else every reader of Stephen King should be locked up as a serial killer.

Do not use fiction and books as an excuse for fascist thought-policing. For gently caress's sake.

e: IN FACT this exact thought process is why we have to have Banned Books Week: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_Books_Week

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 12, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

just another posted:

Calling a text "good" or "bad" is normative. Regardless of your intent, I don't think you can do that without saying something about how you ought to feel about the text, and by extension, about those who feel wrongly.

What do you imagine the goal of passing a moral judgment on a text ("it's bad!") is supposed to be, otherwise?

There's a difference "this book is morally bad" and "this book is written badly [incompetently]." I don't know which one BotL is using but the difference does exist.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

speculative fiction, as i was taught to call it in high school, has fallen victim to authors playing it safe to protect their work's marketability. the whole point of the genre was always to isolate specific problems in contemporary society and deal with them in a rarefied and entertaining environment, but while genre authors are constantly trying to outdo themselves in edginess and gnarly deaths and rapes-per-page rate, actual social commentary is sorely lacking. WOMEN ARE AN ABUSED DEMOGRAPHIC shows up in every work, but there is never any attempt to deal with the specific ways in which women are abused beyond the inevitable rape scenes. there are no fantasy novels about sex trafficking, or the full complexities of an abusive relationship, or learning to live in an arranged marriage, or coming out as transgender, or being the single mother of a daughter in a patriarchal society, or being expected to care for ailing family members, or any of the problems that women in the real world deal with every single day. there are just endless male authors writing rape scenes, usually obviously with one hand, and patting themselves on the back for being progressive and dealing with real issues.

feminism is just the obvious example here, but of course it's not the only one. i'm sure patrick rothfuss genuinely thought he was writing a hard-hitting look at the realities of living in poverty and being romani an oppressed minority dealing with racism, but there was absolutely nothing real about his portrayal. it said nothing and meant nothing. because that's not the focus of his trash - the focus of his trash is magic, and heroism, and mysterious sexy damaged women. the same goes for the rest of the genre, none of it is rooted in reality and so it's just all weightless names floating around in a flat cardboard world doing poo poo that doesn't have any relevance to contemporary society and is therefore a waste of the author's time, a waste of the audience's time, a waste of my time, and a waste of all our money and the huge potential of the novel to change society. modern sf/f hasn't produced a 1984 or an earthsea for a very, very long time, and i don't trust any of the current crop to do so any time soon

This is a good post and it outlines excellently the shape of the problem. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to get more authors that have the knowledge and sophistication to understand these dynamics, and we have like, 2.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

mystes posted:

In Brandon Sanderson's books, the magic systems literally *are* the plot, because all of his books are mysteries where the mystery is "how does the magic system work?"

This is every bit as dumb as it sounds.

And it makes it a big slog to get through. If you want to read actual stories about fantasy then you are poo poo out of luck.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think this is grossly tied into capitalism, fandom, and identity. There's this trend where if you like something, you're supposed to consume every aspect of it. Like the novel? By the comic adaptation. Enjoy an author? Subscribe to his podcast and contribute to his Patreon. Did you hear he's going to run a kickstarter for a board game version of his book? Better slap down $100 on that too, $150 if you want all the limited edition pieces. And get a nerd culture box subscription while you're at it. You'll get weakly deliveries of low quality children's toys based on your favorite characters.

If the thing you like doesn't have much in the way of literary value or depth, then it feels like a personal attack on you even though you didn't create it. But you have been made to feel like you own a stake in it because it tied it to multiple aspects of your life. It makes people react violently when someone says, "No, this thing has multiple objective flaws and is not deserving of the praise it's been receiving," because what they're hearing is, "You have objective flaws and are not deserving of the praise you have been receiving."

I hypothesize that this ties into the desire to reduce fantasy worlds to rote encyclopedias. The types that go in for this stuff are the types who want to reduce stories and characters to something plastic. Consumerism is cheap and very, very easy to copy. It doesn't challenge you and fantasy fans for the most part don't want to be challenged which is how they get conned by a hack like Rothfuss so easily. They want it to be this way and they don't want anything that's coherent or interesting, probably because you can't reduce coherent and interesting to a trading card game very easily.

And of course by making books into cheap plastic poo poo it encourages the delusion that writing is easy and you don't have to work very hard at it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Don't forget that every fantasy story has to be at least a trilogy these days!

The biggest Rothfuss fan I know is a college-level English professor and this mystified me for a long time until I realized, she wants cheap hacky escapist bullshit. Maybe because she spends much of her working time in the academic/literary world, I dunno. But fantasy especially seems to excel at providing the literary equivalent of 4-chord pop music, and in droves. It's like superhero movies, they're all the same and they all suck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be over here reading Jack Vance and pretending I'm better than those other genre fans...

I can understand wanting cheap hackery, I used to watch Stargate SG1 religiously. There's nothing wrong with liking that stuff...what baffles me is how people delude themselves into thinking Rothfuss or people like him are good writers. Because they're not. I had an ex boyfriend who recommended the Rothfuss books to me and he got genuinely angry when I told him I wasn't very enthused about the story because the prose was bad. He was convinced Rothfuss was a fantastic writer and he was absolutely furious when I didn't agree.

So yeah there's nothing wrong with cheap hackery but ffs how do people think it's good craft?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

He cited Rothfuss as one of the reasons he was breaking up with me. I haven't lost any sleep over him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

just another posted:

did you tell him you could tell he was wroth but didn't know what all the fuss was about

oh christ, I'm an idiot I didn't

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Peel posted:

This retrospective by Banks' friend Ken MacLeod is relevant here.

It's unsurprising, in that context, that the Culture series has a certain horizon to its idea of political possibilities. That said, there's a gap between the propositions 'the ideological universe of the novels is bounded' and 'this is artistically bad'.

i mean is this an admission that the leftist utopia portrayed in the books is pure fantasy?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sanderson sounds like a tedious dullard

His books are a universal slog. Nothing against the guy but he manages to make everything boring through reducing the interesting facets of anything to trivia.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So even Lewis fell into the "over explaining poo poo" trap.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Honor books are interminable. So many words devoted to nothing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
What is Honor Harrington even about. I keep getting her confused with Sassinak.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Oh my god best take down of GoT ever

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Seize the means of publication, communist revolution now

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

rear end frog posted:

since making that first post i've read through the intervening four pages and let me tell you: there is not a man posting in this forum that deserves the breath of life

finally good sense

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I'd be okay with YA if more authors were as openly and unashamedly in it for the money as R. L. Stine is

this owns and is 100% true.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
BotL got probied again rofl

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
My mom really liked The Chocolate War when she read if and I trust her taste.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Handmaid's Tale isn't a bad idea but it's just sorta asinine as it's executed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
guys i'm starting to think Lovecraft wasn't that good a writer!!!

I tried to read the Shadow over Insmouth or w/e and a couple of other classics and they were just boring. Early 20th century lit can be hard to get into but good god not only was the man a racist but he just wasn't a very good writer, there's nothing compelling there. who cares about the history of some little fishing village and why is he making me sit through it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I for one am stunned that genre pulp trash might have weird sex stuff in it, someone needs to take this to the newspaper and get the scoop on this hot story

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I mean this happens in music and film too. As you enjoy something more and more the generic no longer satisfies and you often look towards the more experimental, the more weird, and you excuse the lack of polish or perhaps even praise it due to the unique feel it gives the work.

"It wasn't well executed but at least it was different." And what happens sometimes if you're lucky is that someone with more talent or prowess scoops that badly executed idea up and uses it as inspiration for something much better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If you don't want to read Wolf the don't read him this isn't that hard

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am sorry to inform you all that you have lost the internet

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/982791379481870336

not all heroes wear capes

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

So tell me Mrs. Lincoln aside from that how was the play?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If the published work is so weak that the readers have to come up with elaborate backstories themselves to justify it, than the published work has a severe problem and has failed to paint an engaging fantasy world.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
calling an acorn a dragon sounds kinda dumb tbh. it’s a seed, it grows. If you come up with a plant based animal life as a replacement then isn’t that just an ent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

I think you'll actually find that literature has followed a downward trajectory since the moment that Homer wrote the Iliad

this kind of thing is why i love this thread