Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

What do you call the opposite of power fantasies? One where it's still just empty gratification for the reader only expressed through persecution and martyrdom rather than glorification? When I was a lovely teen I used to love that sort of poo poo and Hobbs peddles them constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

You know something's gone wrong when fantasy, a genre that can theoretically be about absolutely anything, is mostly about the same thing over and over again. There's a sort of ghetto effect where people who only ever read genre fiction go on to write more genre fiction and the people who only read those books go to write their own and so on and so on. Fantasy as a whole has only become more incestuous and filled with authors like Sanderson who can only really blindly imitate the trappings of books that were already subpar imitations of something that came before.
An obsession with worldbuilding or magic systems or whatever the crap is a symptom of this. It's like watching someone trying to run fast by wearing Usain Bolt's old shorts instead of actually training for a sprint.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Don't forget that every fantasy story has to be at least a trilogy these days!

Yeah, I have no idea about the accuracy of this but I've heard that publishers are more likely to turn new fantasy authors away if their books are explicitly standalone or aren't marketed with 'sequel potential'. Everyone's looking for the next neverending series since that's what defines the genre now and makes all the cash.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

HIJK posted:

He cited Rothfuss as one of the reasons he was breaking up with me. I haven't lost any sleep over him.

sounds like he really just wanted to date kvothe all along