Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always felt genre fiction gets singled out unfairly, mostly because bad genre fiction at least has spaceships and/or dragons in it that make it more fun to mock, while bad literary fiction is just boring.

(until the sex scenes start, then wowee!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough, I'm reminded of overbuilt fantasy TTRPG settings, which have extensive world histories, metaplot and weird supernatural things, but don't seem to be clear on where exactly the players are supposed to fit into it.

A lot of wannabe authors don't realise that to an extent, you should and need to build the world around the story you want to tell in it, the other way around is a lot harder. (and in that case, why not do historical fiction, or heaven forbid real world fiction where all the worldbuilding is done for you?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

just another posted:

Nevermind that "literature" nonsense, do a Drizzt novel. :unsmigghh:

I'm told they have mediocre plots but great fight scenes, possibly from the author being a former boxer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's arguments over magical realism and fantasy, which is one thing (Personally, I feel it's usually best delineated by magical realism being weird thematic poo poo sometimes happening in an otherwise grounded setting, while fantasy is where supernatural/paranormal elements are an inherent and consistent part of the fictional world. Of course, I imagine some lines can be thin, and it could be entirely possible to have magical realism in a fantasy setting) but that does make me wonder; when does a story stop being Fantasy and start being Horror, or vice-versa? Is It or The Shining fantasy or magical realism?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And makes sense, it's not like most people today could tell you how exactly a car works, let alone a computer.

I recall something that was basically 'What if fiction set in the modern day was written like science fiction' which had tons of unneccessary infodumps on exactly that kind of thing. Then again, it's not like literary authors don't do exactly that kind of thing with something they think is remotely obscure and want to sound smart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There we go. I like to think that's what historical fiction looks like in those kind of books.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dan Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like you can't make an interesting story about magic that people barely know how to use. That's where most interesting magic stories come from, even. I think it might be a negative influence from sci-fi or D&D fiction, that magic has to be something with rules that people understand. I rather like the authors that accept that magic can be an unknown, terrifying force that people don't really understand at all but try to use their their own purposes and occasionally succeed. There are a few settings (Discworld comes to mind) where magic is specifically pointed out as something unreal, which weakens the underpinnings of reality when overused and/or misused, and what humans can do with it is only a tiny fraction of what it really is.

Then again, going back to old stories and folklore, magic is often something which is assumed to have specific rules and rituals, though they aren't always clearly written down. (or those writings haven't survived) Of course, magic and religion back in the day were more or less the same thing. The whole 'magic as science/engineering' thing seems like a recent take on it, or interpretation of it.