Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I bring you all a message from Bravest of the Lamps, from beyond the veil:

Fare thee well, gentle soul, too good for these dead gay forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Let us remember the good times

I once saw someone try to own Lamps by posting excerpts of WH40k fiction as examples of good genre writing, sincerely. It was amazing

Lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, I offer here the final message from Bravest of the Lamps:

quote:

Comrade goons,

My time on SomethingAwful was a period during which I had the privilege to be hated by a great many people. I was also subject to sometimes cultish admiration by a far smaller group. I will always treasure the novelty of both extremes.

This period, barring an unlikely change of heart from the admin team, is over. This is obviously an immense loss for everyone, but I cannot say that I will regret it too much. When I found myself behind a paywall, unable to see why exactly I was banned, I felt liberated instead of aggrieved. Like Adam and Eve cast out of Eden, the world has opened for me to take my “solitary way” through it.

While I have enjoyed SA, posting became in itself an obligation. Checking on the forums was such a ubiquitous waste of time that it became instinctive whenever I was idly waiting for anything. When I now browse on the phone, I physically feel the confusion of not being able to log in. Yet I also never have to post another webcomic or meandering essay there ever again.

I suppose I have more time for books now.

I am probably not entirely done with SA, but if I rereg (or have I already???), it’s only for the purpose of lurking. I have no desire to be anyone else on the site. The Lamp is dead – bury it.

So to everyone on SA, thanks for making posting here an experience. There are other worlds. This one is done with me. Though I suppose you can always hit me up on Discord.

And remember,

Always Be Clevin.

Courageously, illuminatingly yours
Lamps (dead and loving it)

PS. Please support SomethingAwful, whether through donations and purchases, on Lowtax’s Patreon page, or ideally through both. It’s what I would have wanted.

Truly he was too good for us