Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm interested in "critical looks at sci-fi-and fantasy: the thread" but not so interested in "critical looks at book barn posters: the thread." I'm optimistically bookmarking this thread in hopes that it turns out to mostly be the former.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

In Brandon Sanderson's books, the magic systems literally *are* the plot, because all of his books are mysteries where the mystery is "how does the magic system work?"

This is every bit as dumb as it sounds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

One of my English teachers in high school had some convoluted made up pet theory in which "magic realism" didn't even refer to the fantastic elements in books like 100 Years of Solitude, just so he could be able to say that magic realism is awesome art but not have to admit to liking anything that was not purely realistic.