Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sceptile is my main now. He is cool as heck. Back special being a forward special feint cross up is nasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Sceptile is my main now. He is cool as heck. Back special being a forward special feint cross up is nasty

Sceptile is dope as hell, can't wait to get back to my boy tomorrow.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've got a 100% winrate in ranked mode after 3 matches, so I think I can speak with authority when I say that Weavile is the best pokemon. So many fun toys to play with.

It's a really simple trick, but I'll never get tired of aggressively jumping at someone to bait a block/counter, then fastfalling and grabbing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This game is fun as hell, but waaaay deeper than I thought. I'm a little overwhelmed just going through Scizor's moves/combos.

Are there any BnB combo lists and stuff out there?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fight me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It was posted wistfully with a tear

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Are people using the PokeGoons Discord for this game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Well the fighting game goon discord didnt even know it was out yet so

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

When are we getting Hitmonlee with Hunting Hawk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Never

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neo_Crimson posted:

This game is fun as hell, but waaaay deeper than I thought. I'm a little overwhelmed just going through Scizor's moves/combos.

Are there any BnB combo lists and stuff out there?

Well, the game is literally not a day old and most americans haven't played him, so I don't think there's any one definitive bnb yet. People on pokken arena are making combos in this topic though no idea whats good/bad/easy/difficult so ymmv.

Pyswagoras posted:

Are people using the PokeGoons Discord for this game?

There was a specific pokken one that was made last year I think, though it didn't get used much. I don't care much where its made (pokegoon or fg goon) if people were deciding.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Now that the game is out, I wanted to share my pride and joy from the WiiU version to discover if somebody else will share my pain.

I managed to get every single type of fedora in the game. The catch was that it was entirely through random drops. Every last one of them.

Snake Maze posted:

I've got a 100% winrate in ranked mode after 3 matches, so I think I can speak with authority when I say that Weavile is the best pokemon. So many fun toys to play with.

It's a really simple trick, but I'll never get tired of aggressively jumping at someone to bait a block/counter, then fastfalling and grabbing.

Weavile is a little bit plinky in terms of both damage output and ability to withstand damage from my experience and while it's fun being able to air cancel or hover, eventually it because very predictable and even easier to punish. It doesn't help that although Weavile is pretty small, his fallspeed is just right so that a lot of combos don't have to change their timing much and he has a pretty high wall splat so wall combos also work on him pretty consistently.

Ranked is pretty easy if you know what you're doing until around 15 or so matches in. On the WiiU I got up to 20 wins without a single loss before I started losing now and then.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do skill points affect ranked battles?

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Pretty sure they did in the last game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Theta Zero posted:

Weavile is a little bit plinky in terms of both damage output and ability to withstand damage from my experience and while it's fun being able to air cancel or hover, eventually it because very predictable and even easier to punish. It doesn't help that although Weavile is pretty small, his fallspeed is just right so that a lot of combos don't have to change their timing much and he has a pretty high wall splat so wall combos also work on him pretty consistently.

Oh, I know - I played the Wii U version a bunch too. He's still my favorite though, and I think he has enough tools to avoid being as predicable as you say. (I really wish his down A counter didn't lose to almost everything, though). I'm curious to see if he can do anything cool with poplio's double jump.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Crossposting RE: skill points

For local play, stats are optional, but for online play you can't turn them off (at least you couldn't on Wii U, I can't get switch version for a while and I don't expect it to change).

Fwiw, the stats don't seem to matter too much aside from the assist cooldown one. You can see the differences here. And while there is a noticeable difference in the assists, overall they're still too slow I think for them to be a huge deal. It's disappointing and not ideal, but not really a game changer from local play and won't change how important actual skill is to winning.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is this game actually fun and deep or is it shallow and one note like ARMS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Its tekken lite so it rules very hard

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Pokken is legit better than a bunch of other fgs out now imo. But I'm biased because I like projectiles/getting around projectiles which typically annoys some other people.

The systems in Pokken are pretty simple/straightforward, but there is very good character diversity and the assists are good. Projectiles are strong but every character has some way to deal with them or fight back. I don't play every Pokken character but the few I've invested in (Braixen, Chandelur, Gardevoir, looking into Machamp and Empoleon) feel cool. Gardevoir is kinda difficult for me to play but she's definitely good.

Close Pressure/setplay is kinda weird since the game forces neutral every so often with phase shifts, so if you're a super purist when it comes to fgs you might not like it. But I think it works well in practice because most people don't like knockdown/setplay gameplay in general.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Jade Mage posted:

Anyone have any idea how to use Croagunk effectively? Only thing I've figured out so far is never hit back-x in duel phase unless you really think they're dumb enough to get hit by the most disrespectful move I've ever seen

Edit: also stacking the debuffs then venoschocking the gently caress out of them gave me my only win so far

This got lost as the last post of last page, anyone have any answers for a Tekken/Pokken noob?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Empress Brosephine posted:

Explain how ARMS is shallow and one note.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dizz posted:

no kicking

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I am not really the kind to play fighting games, but I bought this for obvious reasons. Decidueye is cool as poo poo in this game and I will probably use this guy all the time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Play MinMin

no bullying!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jade Mage posted:

This got lost as the last post of last page, anyone have any answers for a Tekken/Pokken noob?

I can't even look at Croagunk and tell you anything that's going on, so idk dude. The new characters are new to us as well, and we don't have much on the arcade characters either. Just gotta tough it out for now until people figure out how to best play the character.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Okay I switched to Garchomp and I've been having a much easier time. Anyone know any combo openers that don't involve jump ins? The EQ -> Back+Y-> Y-combo is good but predictable as gently caress.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

jokes on you, you just agreed with brosephine

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm really happy about the buff braixen got to her 4y. i love that move so much in field phase and now it's good in duel phase too

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hey, what Pokemon do we want in this Pokemon fighting game? Clearly we should include the giant fighting gangster panda

No, let's not do that, because I want the game to be bad

Still not as bad as Incineroar and Hawlucha being left out of their chance to wrassle.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Still not as bad as Incineroar and Hawlucha being left out of their chance to wrassle.

Or Hitmontop, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Breloom, Infernape

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I learned some Croagunk combos and tried him online and got bodied, thinking I had just forgotten the game I went back to my old mainstay (Machamp) and won 12 or so games straight.
Any tips for playing Croagunk effectively?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

The Gorp posted:

I learned some Croagunk combos and tried him online and got bodied, thinking I had just forgotten the game I went back to my old mainstay (Machamp) and won 12 or so games straight.
Any tips for playing Croagunk effectively?

This please. Only thing I've figured out is yyy poison jab, if they get buffs attempt to use thief, if they get debuffed back off and venoshock the hell outta them

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I want croagunk to work but he seems very weak

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'll admit, I wasn't looking forward to Scizor much, but watching Slippingbug play him at SCR made him seem super cool. I really like how the new characters turned out.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah the roster, though small, is pretty phenomenal

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

1. Lucario Fighting/Steel
2. Blaziken Fire/Fighting
3. Machamp Fighting
4. Croagunk Poison/Fighting

Unless I'm missing a joke?

I legitimately forgot Lucario was even in the game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Who the gently caress is Lucario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Who the gently caress is Lucario?

Hes like a blue dog man

• Locked thread