Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes like a blue dog man

Manectric???

E: oh, Gaomon

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

He's Ryu's dog, tired of his neglectful owner and out for revenge

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I switched from croagunk to scizor and my win rate skyrocketed, I love my giant metal bug.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i scream every time a croagunk throws a boulder at me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If sceptiles' backA is listed as a counter, why do i get owned doing it to catch enemy attacks?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
not nearly enough pikachus in this game

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

So having spent the past 4 games in a row on ranked being bodied by the same croagunk (rip matchmaking), I have a statement and a question.

Croagunk is a hell of a scummy dude if you're playing to win ahaha!

Also what are scizors approach options against zoning characters, mostly in the field phase but also in the duel phase versus suicune?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

If sceptiles' backA is listed as a counter, why do i get owned doing it to catch enemy attacks?

Not sure what to tell you, but it appears to be unchanged from the Wii U version, and it works kinda like Lucario's counter from Smash. Put it out there for a while, and whatever physical attacks hit you make sceptile disappear and he swings over the opponent and a log drops on them which gives them a debuff. While swinging overhead you can press a button and just come down with that instead but it's still pretty invincible. If you hold it down then he'll just go into swinging.

Idk if it works on projectiles or not, but I sorta doubt it would. It might not work against every attack either (like maybe it'd fail against anti-air moves with high hitboxes). But it does work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got this game to give my play group another local multiplayer switch game and it's pretty cool. I went wanting to main Garchomp because he's one of my favorites but I fell in love with Braixen's playstyle so I guess it's my main now

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

So having spent the past 4 games in a row on ranked being bodied by the same croagunk (rip matchmaking), I have a statement and a question.

Croagunk is a hell of a scummy dude if you're playing to win ahaha!

Also what are scizors approach options against zoning characters, mostly in the field phase but also in the duel phase versus suicune?

A lot of hover turns and prayer has been my answer so far.

In duel phase I usually alternate between hover and counter canceling forward, then try and tag them with a long range bullet punch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ventana posted:

Not sure what to tell you, but it appears to be unchanged from the Wii U version, and it works kinda like Lucario's counter from Smash. Put it out there for a while, and whatever physical attacks hit you make sceptile disappear and he swings over the opponent and a log drops on them which gives them a debuff. While swinging overhead you can press a button and just come down with that instead but it's still pretty invincible. If you hold it down then he'll just go into swinging.

Idk if it works on projectiles or not, but I sorta doubt it would. It might not work against every attack either (like maybe it'd fail against anti-air moves with high hitboxes). But it does work.

Yeah projectiles seem to be an issue. Also seem like you need to release the hold once you are attacked to trigger the counter? If you keep holding it doesnt work? Maybe not hard to tell in match.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah projectiles seem to be an issue. Also seem like you need to release the hold once you are attacked to trigger the counter? If you keep holding it doesnt work? Maybe not hard to tell in match.

I think that gets into what I said near the end there, where holding Detect turns into a swing. I don't know if that transition is invincible, but I'd guess not (and from your report, it sounds like it isn't). You don't need to hold down to make Detect work normally though.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I'm not good at croagunk, but friendly dittos are great.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

As a Scizor main I would like to have pikachu removed from the game please

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I haven't really gotten deep into a fighting game since 3rd Strike. Should I buy this non-turn-based Pokemon game?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Oh boy, if you liked third strike this game with either make you super happy or piss you off.
It's simple on execution and basically everything is safe on block unless you do a hard call-out, (grab a gaurdattack, gaurdattack through a normal, normal through a grab) which is kinda reminiscent of making a hard read parry.

If you want to get in deep, the game totally allows that; all the characters have their own quirks and the game is deep enough for them to matter.
If you just want to play a fighting game on your switch that isn't Arms or a non-existent smash brothers, this is a must have. I wish this game got as much traction as smash because It's frankly a more well designed game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Well, unlike 3rd strike, projectiles are really really good and there are no parries. It's a good fighting game that allows both zoning and rushdown to be strong and viable that switches between traditional 2D fgs and 3D arena fights. If you're okay with that + having SF4 focus attacks, then you'll like this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Will character guides made for the WiiU version still basically function?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Basically yes. There are a bunch of changes all around, but no one character is completely different. They're at most like, 7% different.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I'm ok with SF4's Focus Attacks. They're like parries that don't take skill! [much like the rest off SF4 amirite :v:] (I actually liked SF4, I just never got into it.)

I got the demo to fiddle around with, but the demo locking it at 15 games is dumb and bad. I need to decide if it's worth a full $60 retail price.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you deal with Suicune Spam?

Is Chandelure good for Zoning? I keep getting my rear end kicked, and I'm not sure he has enough tools for getting people out of his face.

I wanna spam projectiles, and gently caress people up for trying to approach, whose good at that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

Is Chandelure good for Zoning? I keep getting my rear end kicked, and I'm not sure he has enough tools for getting people out of his face.

I wanna spam projectiles, and gently caress people up for trying to approach, whose good at that?

The penguin thing has some good projectiles

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Turtlicious posted:

For suicune, I don't think I can say anything specific without more detail, you do gotta be patient and block/CA-dash your way in a bunch. A lot of his projectiles have lots of startup, so generally if you make the correct guess on when to jump/dash you'll cover ground well. And watch out for his CA because it moves forward which can be tricky. If you're gonna counter zone, beware mirror coat as well.

Chandelure is really good at zoning, and if people get in too close, try using minimize or overheat to escape pressure.

I think other than maybe Gardevoir, all the zoning characters should have some sort of good defensive options to keep off approachers. And Gardevoir still has somethings too, like having a midair CA which is very useful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are counter attacks (X+A) in the counter stance from frame 1 or is there some leadup time before you're protected?

Also, sometimes I'm holding X+A through a block string and my opponent hits me in the end anyways. Is this because the counter can only absorb so many attacks, or is it because the actual attack doesn't have protection and I'm being hit out of it?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

cheetah7071 posted:

Are counter attacks (X+A) in the counter stance from frame 1 or is there some leadup time before you're protected?

Also, sometimes I'm holding X+A through a block string and my opponent hits me in the end anyways. Is this because the counter can only absorb so many attacks, or is it because the actual attack doesn't have protection and I'm being hit out of it?

There's no real answer I can find in the frame data about that. There is a weird note about how every move from a neutral position has an additional 6 frames startup, so thats the only guess I could have about that. In general though, the jabs in this game are not very fast, so I don't think that there is any significant delay for the armor of CA's even if it's not frame 1.

The startup of CA's have infinite armor, but the only research I could find was conflicted between if there is a vulnerable period at the start of the CA's actual attack portion or if it was limited armor points for partial-charged CAs. I don't have the proper tools to try and test myself, and it's a bit tricky of a scenario to test completely, but I *feel* like it should be that there is a vulnerable period in the attack portion. I generally try to stick to holding out the CA until I know the opponent's attack is over to punish and it felt more consistent for me after that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Deicidueye is the only one who can ever hit me out of CA because his block string lasts foreeeeeeever. I guess I can see it as punishing me for pressing the buttons too early.

I guess the first question I had can be rephrased as "is wake up CA a thing that makes sense or a horrible idea" because that's what I really cared about with the frame data

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Oh, yeah wake up CA is a thing. Haven't heard any setups yet that beat it out or anything as a meaty (that aren't already some piercing property or covering up activity time of the CA attack) or w/e so go for it

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yeah, wake up CA is definitely a thing....that will get you thrown and ending up taking a shitton of damage due to critical hit.
Or of course, hit by piercing attacks by the several characters that actually have ones that don't need to be charged.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thanks, it's hard to tell the difference between something being impossible and lag sometimes

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
If you really hate pressure characters consider a character who has a fully invincible attack, note that these moves actually do leave you unsafe unlike anything else in the game.
If you don't want to play Gengar, Croagunk, Mewtwo, Chandellure or half-solutions like Charizard and Garchomp, you have to learn to deal with it the hard way,

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nah I don't mind being pressured I just wanted more details on what exactly my options were. Running Fennekin helps since it's kind of an insane reversal

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Are all the assists good at what they do or are there some cool broken ones?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does the Braixen combo 8X FCC 5X still work? I've been trying for like half an hour and even when I get the FCC it doesn't connect. If FCC got nerfed and none of the combos work anymore then I'm not gonna bother learning the timing

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Real hurthling! posted:

Are all the assists good at what they do or are there some cool broken ones?

The ones that were broken have been patched several times. Most of them are decent or good; just pick what suits your style.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Does the Braixen combo 8X FCC 5X still work? I've been trying for like half an hour and even when I get the FCC it doesn't connect. If FCC got nerfed and none of the combos work anymore then I'm not gonna bother learning the timing

yes it does. you have to press X the moment you get the cancel, its tight but you can just try for it every time, since you wont do anything if you miss the cancel. from what i can tell nothing about fcc was changed, i was doing 8X loops in training mode for a bit a couple hours ago

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
8X FCC 5X still isn't working for me but I've got some success doing 8X loops and they're immensely satisfying

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Croagunk is a struggle.
It's almost not even worth it - almost.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chandelure is my baby, and she's going to get me to E3...

Once I learn her piercing attacks

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are there any basic and concise character guide videos? Something that just goes over all the moves and general playstyles of each character. There's too many times I have no idea what I'm even being hit with. The simple command lists in the training area aren't really comprehensive enough to explain the contexts and proper uses of the moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I can't tell what you're asking for? If you're looking for individual character guides, the ones on Pokken arena (linked in the OP) are mostly fine? It's a bit of a grab bag since some are more detailed/active than others, and some have old links, but most of the info is still there to read up on to get most details you'd want.

If you mean, "I want a quick rundown on what all the characters are supposed to play like", then I guess this thread is what you want?

Between these they should cover the info you want about a character if you just dig a little about which one you're interested in.

• Locked thread