Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I learned some Croagunk combos and tried him online and got bodied, thinking I had just forgotten the game I went back to my old mainstay (Machamp) and won 12 or so games straight.
Any tips for playing Croagunk effectively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Oh boy, if you liked third strike this game with either make you super happy or piss you off.
It's simple on execution and basically everything is safe on block unless you do a hard call-out, (grab a gaurdattack, gaurdattack through a normal, normal through a grab) which is kinda reminiscent of making a hard read parry.

If you want to get in deep, the game totally allows that; all the characters have their own quirks and the game is deep enough for them to matter.
If you just want to play a fighting game on your switch that isn't Arms or a non-existent smash brothers, this is a must have. I wish this game got as much traction as smash because It's frankly a more well designed game.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
If you really hate pressure characters consider a character who has a fully invincible attack, note that these moves actually do leave you unsafe unlike anything else in the game.
If you don't want to play Gengar, Croagunk, Mewtwo, Chandellure or half-solutions like Charizard and Garchomp, you have to learn to deal with it the hard way,

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Croagunk is a struggle.
It's almost not even worth it - almost.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I just spent 100 ranked games and a few hours in training mode with Croagunk.
He's not worth it. I wanted him to be worth it so bad but he never will be.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Did another full day, this time for Darkrai.

What a wonky character, he feels like Gengar except matches are either a joke (Machamp) or completely unwinnable (Chandellure).
If the opponent has to break distance and you get your nightmare procs from field mode he's a beast, but his forward offense is basically nonexistent outside of teleport mixups.
He either has the beast GA in the game or the rest of his tools are so garbage for pressure and damage that it feels like he does.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Holy hell that's rad.
More tech like that please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I avoid the D-Pad but switch to it during combos.
Croagunk has a 9Y that I just can't do (it gives me 8Y or 6Y) unless I use the pad.

• Locked thread