Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, unfunny, and even more incoherent then usual.

The only thing that made me laugh was the HGTV parody element. It's funny how much these shows have reshaped people's wants; if you watch the Carribbean or Island life shows, it doesn't matter how remote the location, people always want the same cookie cutter "Open floor plan, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances." Anything that deviates from that, no matter how awesome, or recently renovated, is "dated" and "a complete gut job".

Even people who obviously don't cook want these things. :psyduck:

fist4jesus posted:

Too many plot points for one episode. None of them explored.

Yup.

Waltzing Along posted:

My feeling is that they showed up at the office a week ago and this was the result.

Rather than them reflecting on how bad last season was and saying, let's show up a month early and hammer out some good jokes and storylines and have a good season.

Waltzing Along posted:

The answer is obvious: they didn't learn their lesson.

Or only partly learned. They saw the disaster of last year and rather than taking the good ideas (a running storyline) and dropping the bad (trying to write an episode in 7 days with a coherent running plot) they have just gone back to what worked in the past. So what we got was a story that probably had another 10 minutes of material that Trey had to edit into 22 minutes and it ended up being a POS.

So they learned noting and we are just back to where we have been for years. 1 week to make an episode that will be based on current events and sometimes will hit and sometimes won't. It's a pity because when they actually spend time writing things they can be quite good.

Couldn't agree more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What could possibly be wrong with this.

Pretty much the only thing that really made me laugh. Well, this and the bumpercars.

Maybe I just hate rap? I didn't get anything out of that, but a lot of goons seem to have loved it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

No it's making fun of Logic. Or I guess, not making fun of it but a good parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLe1dddgZrg

Is this guy for real? People like this stuff? It seems like a self-parody on the face of it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Croc posted:

Episode was front loaded with the jokes and most landed but on the whole the episode went nowhere and kinda just ended?

Yup, exactly.

However, it was the hardest I've laughed all season, I lost my poo poo at the love song.

PaybackJack posted:

I started laughing when the Native American man started singing his love song, and nearly threw up laughing so hard when Randy was kicking him, telling him to get off his land while wearing the Columbus attire.

Worth it just for that scene.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also, I did 23AndMe, and I'm happy with the results. It only cost $100, so I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Like that office guy, it turns out I'm 2.1% South Saharan African, thanks to my Sicilian ancestry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM&t=382s
I'm also 6.8% Ashkenazi (Eastern European Jew). We always knew that there was some Jew in the family woodpile, we just didn't know how much.

The Bee posted:

The part Neanderthal thing is a regular fixture of 23andme style services. The joke is that Randy is so typically white, he had to latch onto the silly neanderthal percentage at the end just to feel indigenous about something.

Actually, the more Neanderthal DNA you have, the whiter you are. The neanderthals branched out into Northern Europe during the ice age, so the only people with zero Neanderthal DNA are people who are 100% African.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, so much arguing, so little facts. Straight from the Southern Poverty Law Center, an known authority on the topic:

Sir Lemming posted:

Y'all do know there's been plenty of recent controversy over Columbus, right? It's nothing entirely new (there are places that have been calling it "Indigenous Peoples Day" for a while now), but it's picking up steam with the whole Confederate statue thing.

I know this! Someone dumped paint on a Columbus statue here in Boston, a few days after that General Lee statue was torn down by protestors.

Also, my more radical friends on Facebook have been bitching about Columbus for years. In Boston, Italian Americans make a big deal out of him; they've really defied him to a silly degree. I was expecting Randy's DNA test to come back mostly Italian.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone busy on Saturday?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loved this episode. After finding inconsistent laughs so far this season, I laughed my rear end off the whole time. I lost it when Chuck E vomited, fell off the stage, and died. The Hummel beat down was awesome, too. Loved it!

Marcus felt a little weird, but I don't care, they've done plenty of odd one-off characters before.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

did anyone know about Hummel statues before this episode? (ignore if you've over 50)

Early forties, yes. My mom has some, and my grandmother has some. My grandmother actually got into collecting statues that were considerably more expensive, like Tiffany crystal cats and such.

They were ridiculously popular mid-1900s, and some were actually worth money as collectibles. But the problem is, there is no demand anymore, so they are worthless. I used to go to estate auction regularly, and as more and more of The Greatest Generation dies off, nobody wants the Hummels. They practically have to give them away. Same goes with fancy-eatin silver, china and crystal; the grandkids and great-grandkids just don't want that stuff.

They were also featured on an episode of Better Call Saul.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They were the Beanie Babies of their day.

Eh, Hummels lasted a LOT longer then Beanie Babies, they spilled over from one generation to the next.

Wikipedia says that they started in 1935, and hit the peak of popularlity in the 1970s. If they didn't really become worthless until this century, that's still a 60+ year run.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loved it! Not nearly as funny as the last episode, but it was fun. And it had me guessing who the witches were until the end.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, so who were the witches? I thought it was obvious at the end, but poking around the internet, everyone has their own take.

my 2 cents:

At first, I thought that it was about the Vegas shooting: "good" gun owners vs mass murderers.

Then I thought it was about Harvey Weinstein, and "not ALL men".

And then at the end, I thought it was a parody of Republicans: "you guys pretended to be evil monsters for so long, and now Trump has come along and actually *IS* those horrible things you pretended to be, so you created him."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Nathan looks like Bill Hicks?

Nope, I've always thought that. The combination of glasses and hairdo kind of seals it for me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I kind of wonder what the reaction would be if The Passion of the Jew aired today.

That's a nonsensical statement, since that episode was a direct response to The Passion of The Christ. It wouldn't work in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, they did pick they right kid... You can talk directly over Butters, both figuratively AND literally.

• Locked thread