Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

get that OUT of my face posted:

I see a lot of myself in Larry David- neurotic and apt to saying stupid and tasteless things.

I'm binging it and I'm midway through S4. Should I skip that season? I hear it's not as good as the rest.

Season 4 is alright, season 5 is the worst of the series. Season 6 and on are great because Leon shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
A very good episode

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

timp posted:

Yeah, for some reason Larry insisting that the hairdresser had to be a groom and not a bride seemed a bit beyond the pale to me. I realize that Larry is an rear end in a top hat and you're not supposed to agree with him, but instead of laughing and nodding my head because "this time he's saying what we're all thinkin'!", this time he's definitely not saying what I'm thinking.

Wow you totally missed the joke there. Larry made an assumption based on appearances when their established lesbian dynamic was actually pretty accurate (remember 'the bride' didn't like the door being held open for her and also went in to beat the poo poo out of Larry for what ever reason).

If you watch the show thinking the perspective is supposed to be Larry's always right you've been watching the show wrong. Larry is a complete rear end in a top hat man baby

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bbf2 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that this episode was kinda bad and a little bit TOO tonally off?

The fact that you're having a lot of this take place at a funeral of an 18 year old kid is extremely morbid....which is OK with me, but you need to be willing to commit to the dark comedy of it all completely if you want to go there. Just having it set there and then having random unrelated wacky hijinks ensue was a little unsatisfactory. It just feels like there was a lot more they could have done with it, especially since Larry was indirectly responsible by introducing the kid to the prostitute, and then at one point expressed that he thought the kid brought it on himself by deciding to run with the bulls. Something could have been done there.

1. If you’re going to overthink Curb Your Enthusiasm like this I don’t really think the show is for you.

2. They totally did do something with the Running of the Bulls thing. Look at the end of the funeral scene when everyone is stampeding out of the funeral home, the kid’s picture is being trampled just like he was in real life. It might not be the greatest joke, but it’s there.

Curb usually has really good writing that ties everything up in a single package. That hasn’t changed this season, although Larry’s character is definitely becoming more of an rear end in a top hat in his old age.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This was the best episode of the season

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I appreciated that Curb set up the PTSD joke in a previous episode, when Larry asked if Sammy’s fiancé was ‘ok’ when first learning about the engagement. Always cool to see a payoff to a joke that spans multiple episodes.

I like how belligerently the Greene’s defended the guy whenever the PTSD issue came up. And goddam sending a war veteran to a battle re-enactment seems like the worst idea ever.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TraderStav posted:

Having only watched the first season or two, I can just drop in on CYE's new season without catching up on all of the other seasons, right?

Yeah pretty much. I would start with the beginning of a given season since there’s usually an overarching plot but a given episode is usually funny enough without continuity

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eeNijdv3I
Larry hosted SNL last night and people are giving him poo poo for jokes near the end of the monologue.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4csRoGP0V8
This skit he was in was great.

Meh. It wasn’t that bad. Maybe not the funniest joke, but I’m not feeling particularly angry or anything

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Firstborn posted:

Also whoever said "I like when Larry wins here and there" is 100% right

Yeah, when Larry catches the country club owner fooling around with duders wife and gets back in the country club I got a weird sensation of warm and fuzzies as I told my girlfriend who was next to me that ‘Larry won’.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Otterspace posted:

Does anyone else think that Leon is sort of underused this season? He's kind of just there to blurt out comments from the edge of the scene. I feel like there hasn't been a lot of balls to the wall Leon speeches.

There was some discussion here or somewhere else where people thought Leon was being overused in the earlier episodes of the season. But yeah his use has gone way down as the episodes progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For once, it is the shucker who eats the clam.

• Locked thread