Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've been rewatching the entire series in anticipation for this (just finished 7) and have determined that The Ski Lift is the best episode from front to back (and 5 might be the best season). Larry's fake Yiddish, the big vagina, the edible panties, etc. are all so loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

So the entertainment writer James Andrew Miller (he co-wrote Live From New York, which I think is the most-well known book about SNL) has recently started a new podcast called Origins where he interviews a bunch of people related to a piece of media about its beginnings and legacy and such. The first 5 episodes are all about Curb Your Enthusiasm and they're really cool, a lot of fun stories about times on set and the early days, featuring interviews with Larry, Cheryl, Susie, JB, and a whole bunch of others, including the HBO chief at the time of the series' premiere, Chris Albrecht. I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of the show.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/origins-with-james-andrew-miller/id1266445999

Finally got around to burning through this. Highly recommended.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

The Ringer took a stab at ranking all 80 episodes. I disagree with their top choice, because Palestinian Chicken is quite literally the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/9/26/16364076/curb-your-enthusiasm-episodes-ranked

I'm gonna fight Sean Fennessey because the best episode is at 60 and their #1 is mid tier at best

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How on earth are there multiple people who think Season 5 is the worst?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

Did anyone else immediately google "Ted Danson" to make sure him and Mary were still married IRL? :ohdear:

Yes. I'm assuming that will come up later.

There really wasn't 40 minutes worth of good stuff here

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think he can read the cues but he just can't help himself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I got irrationally mad at the nickname "T." Ted is already a one syllable nickname!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Larry is 70 years old and he still hasn't figured out that over the fence is the superior way to pee

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

That episode felt more like old Curb. Very good. Both Larry and Jeff are pretty loving monstrous in this episode.

It’s nice seeing Bryan Cranston on the show but I feel like he’s too famous to not be playing himself.

Especially because Seinfeld exists in this show's universe

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't believe HBO thought this transphobic joke was acceptable in tyool 2017

but I guess they've always been the "edgy" comedy channel

Hello, I hope you enjoyed your first viewing of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you haven’t figured it out, the show centers around an ignorant rear end in a top hat who cannot be bothered to understand social norms, especially as they relate to people that aren’t from a similar background to himself. The punchline is almost always that he is completely in the wrong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Darko posted:

I looked at older episodes for reference, and they were balanced with, like, 50/50 Larry being a dick/obnoxious and him getting bad stuff thrust upon him even when it's not his fault and he's in the right. This was around 100 percent Larry being a dick/obnoxious, so it is a little different.

He's right that Richard constantly stealing the better lunch seat is a dick move, but also your view when getting lunch with someone is an infinitesimally small thing to get mad about. Which of course is why it's brilliant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Not really. Larry is right a lot of the time. It's more that he says the things most polite people think but don't say.

Just because people think it doesn't mean he's actually right. This is one such example.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"You seem like a complete garbage person..."
"Listen, fuckface!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Okay this one was hilarious. When the Arab guy is interviewing all these people from L-Vid's past, who's the guy who says Larry changed a rhyme in one of his songs and stopped him from marrying a lesbian? I thought I've seen every episode, but he didn't ring any bells at all.

Krazee Eyez Killa. The Emmy winning episode IIRC.

Funny episode but the fatwa storyline is just so absurd and feels like it belongs in a different show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

go play outside Skyler posted:

reminder: in this show, larry goes to heaven and gets sent back when his gardian angels get pissed off at his antics

That was out of place too, but it was also much funnier

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Michael J. Fox confessing he uses his Parkinson's as an excuse to be a prick was my favorite thing.

One of the best Leon moments in history was him talking about how you shouldn’t accept a penis handed to you by Michael J. Fox.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can't believe it took Curb 9 seasons to get to PDA couples.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Wasn't it America Ferrera?

It was. His wife is named Vanessa but that wasn't her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I forget, did we ever figure out what happened in Tahoe?

No, just that it was sexual in nature

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Larry's seemingly heartfelt explanation for why he would never miss Sammie's wedding was hilarious

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was great since it was such a terrible thing Larry did and the show pretty much moved on and acted like it didn’t happen until that moment.

I think that scene at dinner with Marty yelling at Larry and then immediately moving on encapsulated everybody's relationship with Larry

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Larry Longballs

Honestly the whole concept of long balls makes me laugh more than anything else this show has ever done

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I didn't like him trying to take the money back from Nick Offerman. I always feel like Larry "says what everyone's thinking" (the tap water being the best example in this series) but that one he just came across like he was being a petty bellend.
And I know he is sometimes a petty bellend but that felt too much.

Something that bugged me and confused us all watching it though was when he was giving "Tickets" to the shucker. They all said tickets over and over, but it was just one seat! Is that an American thing?

Yeah everyone says they have "tickets" to stuff even if they just mean one for themselves. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

I don't think that's true. I've never heard anyone say they have tickets if they just have one for themselves. Midwest here so maybe it's regional. They either say I have a ticket or I have my ticket.

I am also from the Midwest.

• Locked thread