Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm comes back to HBO for a ninth season on Oct 1 @10pm. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLpN1pMNHA

“In the immortal words of Julius Caesar, 'I left, I did nothing, I returned.'”

Curb is, of course, the half-hour sitcom created by and starring Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, serving as a fictionalised portrayal of real life. The humour is like Seinfeld on crack, with way more cringe and adult material, usually revolving around Larry's misunderstanding of social niceties and refusal to bend to what he sees as arbitrary rules. It's the perfect show for anyone who can relate to feeling like the only sane person in an insane world, as while Larry is a tremendous rear end in a top hat, the people around him (including wife-turned-ex Cheryl, agent Jeff, his wife Susie, Richard Lewis, and any number of celebrity guests) are frequently even worse.

Seasons usually have a vague arc - such as Larry trying to open a restaurant, getting cast in The Producers on Broadway, or trying to organise a Seinfeld reunion as a way of getting Cheryl back - but the show as a whole is pretty episodic, with storylines that can range from Larry not being made aware of his mother's death because she asked his father "not to bother him", to a newspaper misspelling an obituary he sent in as "Beloved oval office", to complaining that a sandwich named after him isn't very tasty, to him speculating if his Korean bookie stole his friend's dog to cook. Usually he ends up offending anyone and everyone he comes into contact with.

I made this thread a lil early because I'm still watching through the show in full for the first time (had only ever seen s7 before) in time for the new season to start and it's a space to potentially leave thoughts, and I also thought others might want to discuss the show a bit given that it's been off the air for six years now. I'm currently towards the end of season 5, and can't believe I never got around to this before considering Seinfeld is maybe my all-time favourite comedy - it's absolutely genius so, so often. The last few minutes of season 4 especially had me absolutely rolling.

Who else is excited??

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bad first reply to this thread but I just finished s5 and drat that whole heaven thing sucked horribly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well you're right about one thing

That scene is so so bad though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the entertainment writer James Andrew Miller (he co-wrote Live From New York, which I think is the most-well known book about SNL) has recently started a new podcast called Origins where he interviews a bunch of people related to a piece of media about its beginnings and legacy and such. The first 5 episodes are all about Curb Your Enthusiasm and they're really cool, a lot of fun stories about times on set and the early days, featuring interviews with Larry, Cheryl, Susie, JB, and a whole bunch of others, including the HBO chief at the time of the series' premiere, Chris Albrecht. I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of the show.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/origins-with-james-andrew-miller/id1266445999

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god "The N-Word" had me in absolute gales of laughter, gently caress

Season 6 has been loving awesome. I was already looking forward to Leon but he's totally exceeded my lofty expectations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 is maybe the least good so far but I still really enjoyed it for the most part. It's only the final 10-15 minutes of the finale I didn't like. Although I admit I have a huge bias against any "down-to-earth" sitcom doing fantasy stuff out of nowhere - it really takes me out of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard the same thing. Apparently it's very much a serialised season in certain ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season's getting closer! I just finished 7 and those last two episodes are still two of the most genius pieces of comedic television of all time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So happy with that episode. Is this the only show that can take such a long break and come back the exact same?

Also, who was the actress who played Betty the hairdresser's fiancé? I know I recognise her but there's no IMDb credit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"I'm sorry, that bitch got foisted."

Leon as Larry's assistant for the whole season would probably be a little too broad for Curb but I would love it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Calm it down with the slapfighting, goons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

What about Leon, is he supposed to be an rear end in a top hat too?

He's a complete loving idiot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The League did, but that was never an amazing show or anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't a great episode but I still had a lot of fun with it. Poor Funkhousers just can't stop getting hosed over by Larry.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now THAT was a fuckin good episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bbf2 posted:

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow.

Have you never seen this show before?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last couple eps have been great. Also loving the choice in guest actors. That was Marc Evan Jackson as the guy Larry hit!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean.....wasn’t it obvious as soon as they started talking about having a duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sick! This wasn't the strongest season but I'd definitely take another one of these.

• Locked thread