Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh poo poo uspol.

oh, poo poo uspol

or

oh poo poo, uspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

oh, poo poo uspol

or

oh poo poo, uspol

yes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

seiferguy posted:

Ground floor on USPol.

Anyway, godspeed to the city that gets Amazon HQ2.

2nd floor of USPol, the one that will avoid the flooding of our newly doomed nation.

It'll be Kansas and it'll save Laffer's "reputation" because we live in the darkest timeline. Or possibly Toronto and we'll get to see Trump really go off on the Washington Post?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

They barely got Ed Gillespie, a really rather boring man, past Corey Stewart, actual Neo Nazi.

I look forward to Corey Stewart, proud of his southern Minnesotan heritage running against Kaine in 2018. I'm sure Sens. Franken and Klobuchar will be happy to enlighten him as to the history of Minnesota's confederate battle flag.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
  • oh
  • poo poo
  • uspol

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress isn't Drunkle Sam in the OP, like a proper USPol?

Your liver will thank you.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Karatela posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Drunkle Sam in the OP, like a proper USPol?

Your liver will thank you.

Right, forgot the tradition.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Official mascot of 2017, USPOL and maybe everything:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

A thread for United States poli
https://twitter.com/itwasthreezero/status/906609609821114369
tics

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Paracaidas posted:

I look forward to Corey Stewart, proud of his southern Minnesotan heritage running against Kaine in 2018. I'm sure Sens. Franken and Klobuchar will be happy to enlighten him as to the history of Minnesota's confederate battle flag.

People will rally for Dad. We love Kaine here. He's a doof, and he's on the side of the doofus angels.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hitler won WW2 we just haven't realised it yet.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Does this catchall include idiot media figures?

Jon Chait is sooooo close to getting it posted:

I write frequently about extremism and bad-faith argument on the left, but those tendencies remain, for now, largely walled off from national power.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Paracaidas posted:

Does this catchall include idiot media figures?

I'd say hot takes are our brand. But that would imply some sort of ideological consistency.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Hitler won WW2 we just haven't realised it yet.

The only winning move is not to play.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I a... a... ag... I concur with David Frum?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Don't be fooled, this is how he lures prey so he can snatch them and retreat back into the murderden beneath the sands.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eyyyyy it's uspol, I needed another place to shitpost about politics that I barely understand and have only a fleeting connection to in my daily life.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

Eyyyyy it's uspol, I needed another place to shitpost about politics that I barely understand and have only a fleeting connection to in my daily life.

Same my man.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
well holy poo poo on a dick, a uspol thread

there's not a chance in hell it will last, but here we are after almost a year with a new thread

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

empty whippet box posted:

now these goons are goons after my own heart.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mister Adequate posted:

now these goons are goons after my own heart.

These piss threads help me cope with our gloriously lovely universe.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mustached Demon posted:

I originally wanted to be angry with the thread title bitching about media normalcy bias but I just kinda jazzed my way to irreverence.

Do we have any news on Florida's ability to pump water to above sea level to get back to working sewers?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

I a... a... ag... I concur with David Frum?

a new uspol for a new david frum

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Credit agencies are a good way to organize the retail credit sector! Ia! Ia!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mustached Demon posted:

It's the piss tape I'm holding on for.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Single payer is a bad idea because people will wrongly believe that Insurance Companies were murdered by the government.

We need a Public Option, so then we can watch them wither and die slowly and with great anguish, collapsing under their own weight as their captives flee their crumbling hulking mass to the shining beacon of Freely Purchasable Medicare.

Only then will the insurance companies be destroyed forever, in both the flesh and the soul, as they deserve.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stereotype posted:

Single payer is a bad idea because people will wrongly believe that Insurance Companies were murdered by the government.

We need a Public Option, so then we can watch them wither and die slowly and with great anguish, collapsing under their own weight as their captives flee their crumbling hulking mass to the shining beacon of Freely Purchasable Medicare.

Only then will the insurance companies be destroyed forever, in both the flesh and the soul, as they deserve.

Giving medicare to everyone will move them into providing supplemental plans and wither them.
Nationalizing the health care system will kill them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's 9/11 MDT.

:911: NEVER FORGET :911:

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe
Hillary continues to attack Bernie Sanders in her book. The democrat party is no place for workers. Trump is the future.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

God I cannot wait to see the cavalcade of September 11th 2017 regdates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Is today a day of the week? Must be a mass shooting in America somewhere:

quote:

Eight people were fatally shot Sunday evening in a home in Plano, Texas, including the suspected gunman, who was killed by police.

Two other shooting victims were taken to the hospital for medical treatment, Plano police officer David Tilley told USA TODAY.

"We’re looking into a motive," he said. The relationship between the victims and the shooter was not yet known, and all involved are believed to be adults, he said.

The Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety was also on the scene of the investigation, said Tilley. The officer who shot the suspect was placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, which is protocol, he said.

The shooting happened shortly after 8 p.m. CT, Tilley said.

Crystal Sugg, who said she works nearby, told local reporters including WFAA-TV she saw a man and a woman arguing outside the home, which is in a suburb north of Dallas.

After the argument, the woman went back in, Sugg said, and the man followed with a gun drawn. Sugg then heard a multitude of shots from what she said sounded like an automatic weapon.

(https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/10/reports-deadly-shooting-8-plano-texas/652379001/)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

John Henry Miller posted:

Hillary continues to attack Bernie Sanders in her book. The democrat party is no place for workers. Trump is the future.

not if you execute the wealthy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As a regdate Nov 17' I have only one thing to say about Hillary: gently caress off back to charity work.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Where's the link for Verrit in the OP? How are we supposed to sign up for it without so much as a Daou-tweet to guide us?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Here's the book list from the old USPol if anyone cares; the list is a bit old by now so if this goes in the OP then fresh suggestions are probably welcome.

Oh, and sorry about the formatting, but :effort:

Books

Punishment and Inequality in America by Bruce Western
The First Civil Right: How Liberals Built Prison America by Naomi Murakawa
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Matt Taibbi's
The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap and
Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power by Rachel Maddow

Rick Perlstein's trilogy on the history of the modern conservative movement:
Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus
Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America
The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan

Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, From Eisenhower to the Tea Party by Geoffrey Kabaservice
Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class by Ian Haney López
Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz
Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea by Mark Blyth
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005 by Thomas Ricks
Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones
Why the Right Went Wrong: Conservatism—From Goldwater to the Tea Party and Beyond by E.J. Dionne Jr.
America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Backroom Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System by Steven Brill
Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools by Jonathan Kozol

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Seeing this thread made me think that for a brief moment I had awoken in the normal timeline, with a normal president, in a world not being torn apart by weather caused by increasing temporal instability.

Thank you.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rappaport posted:

Here's the book list from the old USPol if anyone cares; the list is a bit old by now so if this goes in the OP then fresh suggestions are probably welcome.

you're missing settlers by j sakai

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hmm yes the guy who's most memorable line is "you're fired!!" is the man to protect workers' rights

:thunk:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you're missing settlers by j sakai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We're voting for our governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and House of Delegates. The HoD is gonna be a mess, since you have NoVA, where all the defense contractors and well to do folk live and vote en masse, vs the rest of the state, which is a combination of ideologues in the exurbs and the Third World America that is the southwest panhandle.

Hey, you forgot the two other most potent forces in state-level politics, the Actual Military in Hampton Roads and the unholy alliance of entrenched Democratic interests and teenage marxists in Richmond!

I had a threat about this stuff a while back but after the primary it sort of withered, as things rev back up again I might revive it.

• Locked thread