Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's easier to convince yourself drones are a good thing when it's a nebulous other than it is when you have a picture of a dopey looking kid your government murdered by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It reminds me how that they wouldn't and this is way, way, worse than anything any other administration has ever done. Also I hate you.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yeah I remember us doing that, but I don't think Obama would sell us out to the Russians or Chinese or whoever else lets him touch an orb and you equating this complete garbage fire with what the democrats where doing then, which is also bad, you are huge idiot.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

joepinetree posted:

Are you suggesting that doing nothing about the death of a journalist is worse than actively setting up the support for the Saudis in Yemen? Because we don't actually have to wonder what Obama's administration would act in the face of Saudi brutality.

I think both are bad, but one is bad now. I hope you can understand, friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also trump is way, way worse than Obama on any conceivable metric and you're either racist or just trying to be an edgy poo poo if you say otherwise. Probably worse on metrics I don't know about also.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Republicans are worse than Democrats in a lot of ways and Obama was a better president than trump. These are true and bringing up obama's failures now to excuse the republicans or for whatever crazy person reason you people are doing it only serve to make things worse for everyone.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Things can be bad but also better than another thing. How hard is it to grasp this? What part do you not get?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

white sauce posted:

Is this a real person?

I want to say no but I'm honestly not sure.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

kidkissinger posted:

Stop melting down and maybe consider that the US's foreign policy is monstrous regardless of party. This is a serious issue and you screaming and stomping and putting your fingers in your ears while screaming TRUMP isn't going to fix it

I'm not sure how pointing out how trump is worse than obama and the democrats are better for the American people than the republicans is melting down. I'm stating facts, idiot.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

joepinetree posted:

If the metric is "sponsored coups in Latin America," Obama is worse, for example (Obama 1, Trump so far 0). But I get that black and brown people in foreign countries don't really count for people like you. Of course, the point isn't who is worse. But how shockingly close the foreign policy of the racist dumbass Trump and the nobel peace prize winner Obama are. From Yemen, to Honduras, to Libya. That you feel one is "way, way worse" is a sign that you, like most American liberals, care more about appearances than human suffering. "Yeah, I know that Obama also armed, provided intelligence and supported the Saudis in what is currently the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, but at least he was nice about it" is not a moral position. The goal being not to defend Trump, but to make sure that whoever takes over after Trump isn't an Obama level articulate monster. Because we all know that people like you will be totally fine with starving millions if only the president doing it is articulate and aiming it at some majority non-white country elsewhere.

No I don't like those either. But I also think Trump is worse than Obama for America and everyone else that isn't bribing trump.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes, force is the only language understood by the brutish Russian or the inscrutable Chinee. We need a strong virile figure like Bill Hillary Clinton leading our nation! The uncivilized rabble must be made to understand that dominance is our destiny burden right as White Americans!

Me pointing out that Obama's Federal government's national and foreign policies were better for Americans and non Americans than Trump's does not mean I think this you freaking nut.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

How is Trump backing dictators even as they engage in massacres of protesters somehow worse than Obama backing protester-massacring dictators in open defiance of a US law banning him from doing so?

Even having any diplomatic relations at all is serious progress.

Neither is good, but saying what Obama was doing, as a whole, is worse than what Trump is doing, makes you either an idiot or worse.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I think Obama should have been harder on the Saudis but I also think Trump is being even easier than Obama was.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, the only thing that would be different is that Obama would have furrowed his brow and said he was concerned about this.

If this is a meaningful distinction for you then IDK what to say.

I disagree,I think he would have done more.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Those are bad things, but I don't think Trump would have done anything better in those situations, and based on his past record I believe Obama would be doing better things with the current situation than trump is also.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Muppets On PCP posted:

how do you manage to live day to day with this level of delusion

How is saying Obama is a better president than Trump delusional?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

There's really no way to know for sure, but Obama's behavior in a number of similar situations suggests that he would not in fact have done better.

I disagree, based on trumps track record and his stated goals I think Obama's behavior would be better than Trump's in any and all possible situations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Example: Obama would not have created giant camps of children stolen from their parents, and press releases from the organizations responsible would not have white supremacist messages shoehorned in.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Frightening Knight posted:

You can keep asserting this counterfactual and we can argue about it all day, but since Obama was not actually faced with the same situation we cannot say for certain what he might have done, and you have demonstrated an unwillingness to be convinced from your stated position. If so, then you should stop bringing it up, because it is a circular argument.

I agree, but when people were stating the opposite unchallenged, without any real evidence, I decided to see what would happen if I forced the issue.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nah he just blew them into bloody chunks with drone bombs and nobody cared because they are white supremacists. Passive, rather than active - that's our Barry!

Why is it so hard to understand I think that is also bad, but trump has not done any better with drones, and indeed, could be considered to be doing worse with drones.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Like name something trump is doing now that Obama did worse at, and then explain why that matters when I complain about the thing trump is doing now. Otherwise, for the love of God, shut the gently caress up about it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

This is the politics thread, not the religion thread. Do you have anything to support that besides blind faith and a total refusal to accept recorded history as fact?

Obama did bad things, I know this, Trump is doing worse things, I also know this. Both things are true. Me saying one thing is true does not mean I am saying the other is false.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Frightening Knight posted:

That said, I think it’s likely that the Saudis would not have attempted such an obvious and poorly planned killing under Obama, and that Trump’s overt incompetence and support of strongmen emboldened them.

Also Trump's son in law helped an idiot sociopath gain power.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

If you acknowledge that Obama was a bad failure then I don't see the need to argue the degree of it.

I've been trying to get you to understand this for days friend. Now comprehend how trump is doing worse things which are also bad and should be condemned. Which makes your constant calling back to Obama whenever someone does, weird.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Radish posted:

Quibbling over the details of just how much blood is on the hands of individual politicians seems really pointless. Like this one is better since he didn't kill as many or made life as obviously bad may be technically correct but not really useful at all.

The goal should be to be a net good and not the least bad.

Yeah, but we aren't always given what we want in life friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that's the core thing: Obama bad -- all presidents bad! -- but Trump worse, so much worse

I think the Saudis would have done it anyway. You only do something like this when you're a privileged idiot who doesn't think you'll face consequences for your actions, and MBS would be such an idiot no matter who the American president was. Trump's handled the situation horribly but blaming the American president for the actions of Saudi royals in a Turkish embassy is attaching far too much importance and primacy to American influence.

Yes, also I don't think the Saudis would have without that prince Kushner put in power.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

Obama cheered on and defended the Egyptian coup and the resulting protester massacres, violating US federal law in the process while describing the brutal military dictatorship as "restoring democracy".

This is something that is far worse than Trump continuing to say nice things about the Saudis after they murdered one (1) person the West happened to like.

It matters because it shows that Obama doesn't have a record of standing up for human rights against bloody dictatorships in and around the Middle East who brutally massacre civilians but are also US allies. While he prided himself on politely asking the Saudis to be less mean to civilians, his actions told a different story: one of total unconditional support, even if it meant going against Congress.

Apples and Oranges, friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

I'm just pointing out that Obama paved a golden road for Trump to walk on. It's worse by degrees, not by kind, for the most part.

And considering Obama still has an unacceptable approval rating of 90+ percent amongst Dems I feel it's a good reminder that he's actual poo poo.

I feel you should not bring up your Obama pet issues when people are discussing Trump as it distracts from the current situation to something you can moralize to other people and it's obvious and it makes everyone hate you.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Obama's complicity in the Egyptian coup is a separate situation than Trump helping out the Saudis cover up a political assassination because they bribe him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also bad.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and demonstrative, imo, that they would have done the same drat thing under Obama

the people in charge of smoothing it over just would have been better at their jobs

I don't see the link between Obama looking the other way in Yemen and Trump helping the Saudis cover up a political assassination because they bribed him. Can you explain it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? It seems like actively defending and even aiding Egyptian human rights abuses is far worse than simply refusing to condemn Saudi human rights abuses. Especially when there's a federal law about the former, but not the latter.

I think they are two separate situation where you can't infer how Obama and Trump would react to the opposite situation with only those two situation to compare and judging them against each other is stupid.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

"looking the other way," lol
we were selling them the bombs and actively air-refueling their bombers, because they didn't have enough range to reach Yemen without them.

what about the murder of one man makes you think that would change the calculus that had already produced the Sensible Democratic President Reaction "sure, go murder a couple million people, we'll run interference for ya?"

What makes you think trump would have done any better in any of those events?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Kobayashi posted:

This same worship of The Algorithm underpins all of tech and finance too, it's great.

Algorithms make sense for tech and finance but people there seem to think because they are good at one thing and rich that they aren't as dumb as the rest of us.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I've noticed this in all skilled professions and it's hilarious when they haven't become managers yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Then it's hilarious but only if you don't work there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread