Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Majorian posted:

They're all good boys that just got mixed up in something bad...no need to make a federal case out of it. <-most of white America's mindset

I'm a middle class white male and it makes me wonder about the morality of taking a bat to the head of every policeman that's ok with this as well as each of the "young [nazi] children". And I can't really imagine anyone I know saying "they're good boys that just got mixed up" out loud. Maybe thinking it at some point.

They'd mostly just say "well they obviously didn't know what they were doing should we ruin their lives so early?" Without even a hint of irony.

e: for clarity

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I don't feel threatened walking past a statue of Jefferson, I do feel threatened (for good reason) walking past a confederate memorial. This is why confederate statues should be torn down. Almost without exception every historical figure was racist. What is is important is what causes people today hold them up to rally around. The Confederacy existed to perpetuate slavery and white supremacy, and the mass produced confederate statues of today exist to keep that legacy alive. I don't see Jefferson used in the same way.

I guess this was always the point I was trying to express. Confederate statues and symbols are mostly used as an expression of hate, or at best, rebellion. People don't go out buying period-specific American flags and lauding Jefferson as a great person with fine ideas that were just misunderstood. I imagine it's partly the fact that (generally) nobody really knows in depth what a terrible person he was and/or that the things he is despised for are so intensely, inscrutably racist and wrong that people have a hard time finding a way of presenting it in anything resembling a positive or even neutral light (the entire point of dog-whistling).

While I kind of agree with this, it's just a hard sell to go from removing symbols of racism and hate to getting rid of statues and memorials of a president because he was an awful human being. If he starts getting traction as such, I say sure, go for it. Even if it would be a heck of a fight trying to get rid of things like a Washington DC monument.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Difference between owning a car and owning a gun is that you need to be tested, licensed and insured to own and operate a car. Same should be done for guns, which is what most people agree on when it comes to gun regulation.

Stop using car analogies, they're awful. If you want to add license fees... well, the analogue there would be a carry permit. And they have similar fees to a driver's license. Insurance would be something I suppose, though difficult to pass. Maybe if you use an argument that any carry permit needs to be accompanied by insurance to be valid or something.

If we're comparing testing... sorry, but that's got to be some sort of joke, right? I tested twice in my life: once when I first got my license and again when I had to get a California license because they wouldn't accept my testing for whatever reason. Both times it was incredibly softball questions and the driving test portion was a joke.

You can buy a car now and drive it around on private property to your heart's content without ever renewing the registration, insuring the vehicle or maintaining a driver's license.

Again, don't do car analogies. You're comparing a machine that can be deadly but is designed for transportation to something that is designed from conception to be a deadly weapon.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Actually, you only that stuff to operate a car on public roads. Virtually every law related to the operation of motor vehicles is with respect to operating them on public roads, lands, or waterways. I can build a dragster with no plates, that runs on coal slurry, and has no seat belts, and let a felon with a suspended license drive it, and as long as I do it on private property for non-commercial purposes, the state DMV and Highway Patrol won't say squat.

I'm curious if you have this somewhere just to c/p in or you actually typed all of it out again

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

I'm not going to try to argue point by point the merits of comparing a car to a gun. You shouldn't either because they're not the same thing. Cars aren't designed, built, optimized and sold on the premise of killing things. This is a fundamentally different object and the comparisons all fall apart when you stop and realize that. You need to treat it at a deadly weapon and not just a tool that can be deadly because of the forces involved.

• Locked thread