Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RuanGacho posted:

I'm starting to wonder what it is about Seattle Mayors.

Experiment: elect Kshama Sawant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

silicone thrills posted:

Our general in Nov is going to have 2 Women - one very left leaning and one sort of left leaning. I'm cool with that. (Cary Moon vs Jenny Durkin)

edit: I honestly just don't even know what to say about this Murray poo poo. I never got why he won over McGinn. He's an abysmal public speaker and his chops were only ok. Now this sexual abuse stuff just makes it all feel so loving awful.

The buttload of Comcast money probably helped. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

White people love their beloved pedos.

I know I do!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bastards

boycott Motel 6 and Studio 6 if you're not already

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except it is a completely empty thing they are signing on to. It has less than 0% chance of going anywhere no matter how many Democrats sign on.

I'd say marginally greater than zero, but only because it's really hard to say that it's impossible Donald Trump will wake up tomorrow morning and [do thing]. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Also I'd like to add that the idea that black folks are any more homophobic than any other group is a racist myth.

Some of it is also a holdover from the days when the leadership of African American political movements was disproportionately church-related. I've seen nothing I recall as particularly credible looking at how socially conservative black churches are today, but I gather that the BLM constellation and related movements are way less church-centric than some of their earlier relatives.

This is all dimly remembered second-hand casual readin' from a white goon, mind. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

That time will never come. We will likely get a constitutional convention called by the GOP long before the Democrats get to 60 seats in the senate.

Pretty sure you understand neither how conventions work nor how the Senate works

We had a short lived supermajority in two thousand loving eight

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't see this being advantageous. After all, the filibuster just saved Obamacare. Anything they pass with 50 votes will just be repealed as soon as the Republicans get 50.

The filibuster did not save the ACA. It's indirectly doing a few other things but they only needed 50 for repeal because they burned a reconciliation bill.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dems killed the filibuster because by design it's of more value to the party with a large contingent of people who want nothing to change and it's been clear since the death of Ted Kennedy that the Senate GOP are not acting in good faith.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

And it will never happen again in our lifetimes (short of some party realignment). The Democrats will likely pick up some seats in the house in 2018 and lose some senate seats. Even if Trump is ousted in 2020, there will likely be a Republican house and senate.

We've got long lifetimes and boomers are on the way out, you're being hyperbolic or deliberately weaseling on that last clause

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on 2020, but I wouldn't bet my life savings against Dem majorities in both either

Haven't looked at the supermajority math but I'd think more along the lines of mid to late 20s for that if I had to guess a good shot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Let's say I was going to build a tool for this. I'm not a programmer but I've been interested in learning and I've always read the best way to learn is by making a project you're interested in. What set of technologies would I be looking at? Just out of curiousity, it's probably way too big of a project for a novice to tackle but let's say I wanted to make an interactive "Reagan was wrong" tool - what would I need to know?

Absolute buttloads of data input from various formats that aren't necessarily very friendly or similar to one another

Edit: slightly misunderstood, so only fairly large but manageable buttloads

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Phone posting so I don't have links handy, but you can work from IRS data and Tax Policy Center cash income and effective tax rate tables to run the numbers directly.

e: check this post and the subsequent one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812639&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post470905184

:3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

But they were stuck with reconciliation rules that made it more difficult to craft a passable bill.

I guess that's fair. I disagree that it was enough to be a backbreaker (given how much they were trying to do) but reasonable people can disagree in the details.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think a few Republicans actually care about tradition, to a point.

You could certainly be right. Last year I was all for doing as much as we could, by hook or by crook, and let public support be the defense; but watching the Republicans undo Obama's legacy has adjusted my attitude. The GOP have demonstrated that they'll happily rip up anything Dems pass, even if it's extremely popular.

Oh oops, I may have been unclear: I was talking about the filibuster nitpicky stuff.

You and I may have switched positions in the last year. :v: I am solidly in favor of doing as much as possible, and frankly am inclined to go for broke now. The Sanders proposition is heartening. I provisionally like it as a model. If the fuckers are going to burn anything we try to build, don't take the moron contingent into consideration at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Terrible for a Democrat is still better than any Republican in living memory

There are people alive who remember Eisenhower. :colbert:

edit: and depending on your definition of "better", "memory", and maybe "Republican", same for Taft or even Teddy Roosevelt :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

:henget:

But that's kind of like saying Kennedy was a Clinton Democrat.

until I did some cursory googling I did not realize that there were living Americans born in the Teddy Roosevelt administration

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/908709196358660097

Facebook is basically a law enforcement tool with the side feature of being a social network.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Honestly, it is pretty much in line with current 4th amendment law.

Other public statements can be used as probable cause. It's just that Facebook makes it way easier to make incriminating public statements.

Yeah, I'm not sure this decision is particularly crazy. I guess the next question would be, under what circumstances should open affiliation with a criminal organization be probable cause for a search?

My gut suggests to me that it should be "we are investigating a particular crime believed to be committed by a member of your gang" because "you are in a criminal organization therefore you probably committed a crime at some point, let's go fishin' " makes me queasy outside of, like, a RICO or conspiracy case.

although I guess gangs routinely do get nailed on conspiracy, don't they; that's an easy out that makes me less queasy even though the functional effect is very nearly the same for the unfortunate Facebooker

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Moatman posted:

HE USED A loving AK
e: I know you're being sarcastic but I'm too loving mollified right now to react normally.

I think you probably meant something like "mortified"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Javes posted:

I'm no lawyer, but I can't square the notion of a cop saying hes going to "kill this motherfucker" while also claiming to fear for his life afterwards.

por que no los d-

overwroughtness in the moment does not constitute sure and certain premeditation etc etc

--

Okay, having skimmed the decision, I am not delighted with the prosecution's strategic choices, and if it were a jury trial and I were on it I'd be leaning towards involuntary manslaughter (he probably did not need to fire five times and was clearly at minimum sufficiently stressed to be in a reckless frame of mind) - but the prosecution basically fell flat on its face re first degree murder / the defense did an excellent job of presenting a sufficiently viable alternative scenario. Reasonable doubt's a motherfucker.

I'm, er, not sure how you'd actually prove that a gun was planted by the cops without a witness, but the defense even took a swing at that one with "gun was big enough to be difficult to conceal from the video, no possible witnesses were called to the stand re gun planting, state's own witnesses testified that lack of victim DNA on the gun didn't necessarily mean victim did not touch gun".

RuanGacho posted:

Right, which is why I'm arguing this is a systemic failure

This is where I'm at. It's possible this was murder and I'm pretty strongly of the opinion based on the judge statement that it was involuntary manslaughter, but the prosecution flubbed it, whether intentionally, semi-intentionally lazily, or just incompetently.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

I'd like to think that the difference between me and the average government worker who's been at it for two decades is that when poo poo goes wrong I ask how we fix it instead of just shrugging our shoulders and going what can ya do?

Right now if I was in any part of the Judiciary is be deeply concerned about how the pattern of rulings is undermining legitimacy with a significant portion of the population.

If nothing else this is another tally mark for body cams in the sense of in "if murder, universal bodycams would have let the prosecution argue more strongly for the gun planting if they felt like it". :geno:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

axeil posted:

Cool, in those cases they didn't murder a dude. Saying "I'M GONNA KILL THIS GUY" and then actually killing him are way different from saying something and then doing nothing.

Fun test: please outline a scenario where a cop shoots someone and you don't defend the cops.

Also the punishment for getting pulled over/having drugs on you/whatever should not be extra-judicial murder what the gently caress is wrong with people

caros is not defending the cops, he is arguing the decision isn't clearly insane from a procedural standpoint given what the prosecution presented

quote:

The judge seems to have chalked up the former to an excited utterance (80 mph car case and all) rather than a statement of intent. The latter wasn't proven to his satisfaction.

Is it a correct decision? Ehhh. From a legal perspective this judge has his head on a lot more straight than the jurors who refuse to convict someone who puts five warning shots in a fleeing suspect's back.

reasonable doubt is, in fact, a motherfucker

which is why my immediate takeaway from this specific mess is "the prosecution dropped the ball on involuntary manslaughter, if not on the whole drat case" and "narrow-focus problem: how do we handle the possibility of cop-planted guns? proposition: body cams and ???"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

DR's reading of the case is probably not far off, sadly. I don't think he's defending the decision either, just outlining how this ruling was justified.

Related: going straight for murder charges doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere because there seem to be an abundance of citizens and judges who find it reeeeal hard to get over the necessary burden of a murder case. In the end, if we have a short-term goal (under GOP rule) of keeping homicidal psychopathic nationalists out of the force while providing a credible deterrence to brutality, is there another charge we can hypothetically throw at murderous cops that is both easier to convict and guarantees someone will never serve with law enforcement again?

Involuntary manslaughter for "recklessness / lethally excessive force in cops is very bad, and much easier to show" is a good start, and is conveniently a lesser included charge in most (all?) state murder statutes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

axeil posted:

So strange how the prosecution always seems to drop the ball when the cops murder someone.

Yep. So weird. Welp, must not be anything to it, just a crazy coincidence!

Yes, it's bad that they are at best deferential to police officers. What should be done about that?

My answer to my own question boils down to somewhere between "hell if I know" and "make it harder for even the laziest, most credulous prosecutor to bollocks up the case by way of bodycams and suchlike". It still won't stop actual blatant nefariosity, but "the officers had bodycams and the prosecution didn't say anything about it" would be exceedingly obvious misconduct in eg this case.

axeil posted:

The problem is so bad I think good people should be willing to risk it and try and actually get on the jury for these cases because otherwise more and more of these murderers will be prowling around acting as a menace to our communities.

This is good. If this had been a jury trial and I'd been on the panel, this would 100% have been an involuntary manslaughter or hung jury at absolute minimum even with the idiot, lazy, and/or evil prosecutor.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spun Dog posted:

From the decision:
"Finally, the court observes, based on its nearly thirty years on the bench, that an urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly."

Translation:
Hey the the guy was actually unarmed, but It's fine to presuppose that he wasn't

Yeah, I really don't like that line. It's even quite unnecessary in establishing reasonable doubt in this case, so it's not just bad, it's gratuitous.

edit: that said it would make me much, much angrier if that element were the deciding factor in swinging towards reasonable doubt

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Caros posted:

I'm not saying the officer is innocent, I'm saying the prosecution didn't prove it. Which is important.

:hf:

As an aside I'm not sure the prosecution did much in the way of inquiry into the officer's history, either. The dinky little paragraph on it smells an awful lot like the defense trying to make him more sympathetic (to the judge :geno: ) and officer history is, you know, relevant to recklessness. poo poo, we know for a fact he was injured in a bombing in Iraq, PTSD related inquiries would be the sort of thing that might be handy in a recklessness argument, you know?

Now I'm that much more irritated with the prosecution. If my dumb not-a-lawyer rear end can see this stuff there's no excuse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

UberJew posted:

I really do like the line because it establishes exactly what was going on and why you're being a giant pile of intentionally dense poo poo defending the ruling.

nah

i'm defending the murder part of the ruling because the prosecution took a dive and/or were lazy morons

the judge makes a good description of why it wasn't proven to be first degree murder

and I've been saying over and over that even with the lovely prosecution I think he should have been whacked with involuntary manslaughter because he was clearly reckless / used excessive force

you dumbass

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That would help but a larger issue is that a lot of people -- many of whom wear judicial robes and / or sit on juries -- are hella racist.

Look at the Walter Scott shooting in South Carolina. Mistrial. Caught on video shooting unarmed fleeing suspect in the back and then planting a weapon, arrested, charged with first degree murder, prosecuted, went to trial, mistrial.

The system worked right up until it hit a juror who thought a cop shooting an innocent black dude was a great idea. Our judicial system presumes good faith actors at every level, and that's a myth.

Right so, what do we do to make that less garbage? What could have fixed, say, the Walter Scott shooting in specific? (In that specific case I'm sort of leaning somewhere between "I dunno, an external review board for an extra fuckup-catching net, with ability to... fine the poo poo out of police officers?" and "absolutely nothing would have worked, everything is hosed")

edit: I guess I mean "assuming Walter Scott already got blown away" rather than something that would have made it less likely in the first place, although that probably would be even better

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

denver has a team of social workers that travel around with police in conjunction with the mental health center of denver. my fiancé and i are friends of the guy in charge. seems to be a pretty good program that deserves to be copied throughout the country

Oh right, I forgot to respond there. This is fantastic and even better than the stuff that's just nefariosity-reduction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

UberJew posted:

The judge was acting in the fine tradition of American jurisprudence embodied by Scalia and wrote whatever fit the conclusion he wanted to reach. The exact same judge absolutely could and would have written an equally persuasive opinion to the contrary on the exact same facts if he cared to, but left that line in so the police know he has always got their back.

Based on his thirty years of experience, of course

I remain unconvinced on the first degree murder charge based on the pattern of facts available (unless one of us feels like wading through the transcript to see if there's anything he left out about the gun-plantin', and I'm sure not :v: ) but I think I'm willing to accept that the judge was wilfully complicit with the prosecution in ditching the lesser included charges.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Caros posted:

Eh, I've seem prosecutors get away with that.

If police can convict a man of murder for lending his car to someone who had been found innocent of the murder, they could convict this gut for planting evidence.

I mean, they won't.

wait what

edit: oh good, I found a footnote in the transcript re the murder verdict that wasn't mentioned on the manslaughter bit

quote:

The Court also believes the dangerous, highly stressful, and frenetic events during and immediately following the pursuit and shooting on December 20, 2011, are the antithesis of "cool" anything, much less reflection

:shepface:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

The prosecution did ask for lesser charges of murder to be brought, just apparently not involuntary manslaughter, and the judge tossed those for having the same self defense problem as murder 1.

It looks like it was auto-included and he chucked it without strongly addressing the "if reckless / excessive force, self-defense doesn't matter" clause. Second to last paragraph.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Love it. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

hey, cool, you found it! yeah its pretty new. and the guy managing the team is arguably the coolest guy alive. just like, one of those people everyone loves, even the cops. the team couldn't be in better hands. fun fact, one of the team members drank the cool-aid and is going to the academy to become a cop, lol.

Well I mean, better him than most anybody else. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem with this is that it puts the onus on individual officers without dealing with the ineffectual and corrupt bureaucracy that supposedly oversees them.

It's also introducing more private corporate influence over our nominal law enforcement agencies.

Yeah it's a tradeoff. I honestly don't know whether I like or dislike the idea.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

A few people in here were self-admittedly playing devil's advocate to explain the legal mechanics.

Yeah, my FIRST instinct was "that's hosed up, I wonder exactly how" and my second instinct was to go look, whereupon I discovered that a big part of how was the prosecution being dumb lazy or evil and shared it with the class :v:

Edit: and/or evil

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

tentative8e8op posted:

I'm looking frame by frame and it looks to me like the gun is pointing down and to the left as he pulls it out of the bag

That's not necessarily inconsistent with the defense's argument "his demeanor suggested that he found the gun he was searching for whereupon my client had to shoot him five times also please ignore the definition of involuntary manslaughter".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Hi, worked with a homeless shelter in Burlington VT four years.

Homelessness is reaaaaaaalllllyyy broad. If your bottom line is anything other than "provide better shelter, provide some healthcare" then you're really not being helpful, full stop, to working the problem.

Soup kitchens / free cafeterias too

Actually I've been pondering this as a potentially locally viable quasi-GMI. I wonder what the math would look like (especially?) if it were in the general structure of a pay what you can joint.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 16, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spun Dog posted:

Yah, a few of the same people who always seem to crop up whenever someone is killed by a cop. It's like sending up the bat signal.

Hey :mad:

Edit: although I guess without the implication that's actually a totally reasonable description of me, carry on

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Both of these points are very interesting! Thank you both. I knew it was different from household or corporate budgeting but I just couldn't really work out why. I appreciate it

Also, not directly what you asked, but printing money doesn't necessarily cause proportional or even noticeable inflation. If there's enough slack productivity to absorb it, the economy just produces more widgets and charges the same price for them as they otherwise would.

Conveniently, guess whether possible supply outstrips demand right now :v:

Edit: DR may be sociopathic but he's also dumb and had at cost benefit on this issue and so I don't think the first one is really the problem

It's possible to be bad at empathy and still arrive at humane and good policy positions

E.g., the discipline of economics

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 17, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

Could you explain to me, a common man with minimal savings or intellect, why deflation is bad for me

1) Existing loans become better for the lender and worse for the borrower. This isn't necessarily an unalloyed bad, but it does explain why conversely inflation annoys the finance industry.
2) Deflation reduces the global propensity to spend and increases the global propensity to save for the people not living paycheck to paycheck. In a consumer driven economy such as, uh, all of them at this time, this is bad and also it leads to companies producing less (because reduced demand), which means the people they pay (you!) have less money to spend, so you spend less, so the companies produce less, and then everything burns to the ground.

Efb, thanks phone posting, but I still contributed a more detailed woest case scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

What the hell is this, Economist Night?

• Locked thread