Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I hope you're proud of yourself for resuscitating this terrible, terrible thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Hell, same.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

How about I remove the mountaintop from your loving face

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

A thread for United States poli
https://twitter.com/itwasthreezero/status/906609609821114369
tics

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Hitler won WW2 we just haven't realised it yet.

The only winning move is not to play.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Don't be fooled, this is how he lures prey so he can snatch them and retreat back into the murderden beneath the sands.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

God I cannot wait to see the cavalcade of September 11th 2017 regdates.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I'm the percentage of the population who recognize Supreme Court Justice Harry Reid.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Well at least now I can blame shrike for making me post this:
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/908143376838656000

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Ice to meet you Mr. Trotsky, may I axe you a question?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Is it just me or is Saint Louis on fire, and rightly so?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress the cards.

https://twitter.com/kodacohen/status/908831426694479874
:hai:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

berserker posted:

I'm starting to see discussion about Graham-Cassidy gaining traction; McConnell wants to prioritize it before Sep 30th and Cassidy says he has 49 votes right now...

Thoughts? I know what Rand Paul said, but he's flipped his vote on this before.

If I recall correctly, Cassidy stated it was 48-49, and that this was an optimistic projection on his part somewhat hampered by the immediate stances taken by a few senators. Collins, Murkowski and Paul are their big "No's" here, though Murkowski is probably the Senator in need of the most constituent pressure, if only because Collins and Paul are really obvious in their opposition. The thing about Paul's here is that he can't really walk back on the kind of statements he's made here without rewriting the bill, and that requires the CBO score to come out first. While they want to try and get the scoring done in a week, it's not all that likely, although admittedly not impossible. Even then, making enough satisfying revisions, especially with what we've seen come out, is a task all of its own.

All that said, this does feel like something we should be having more of a discussion about.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Frankly I'm just restating some of the explanations laid out by posters in the Healthcare thread and earlier on in Trumpthread as to why Graham-Cassidy is something of a longshot. It's never, ever wise to assume something is not going to happen just because you feel it won't, so it's worth being proactive here. It has a lot that was evil from the last bills - defunding planned parenthood, the return of pre-existing conditions and so forth - so there are a lot of sticking points to work with if you have a Senator where that is relevant. Or if you don't. It's the GOP after all.

Alaska goons are probably in the best position to have some influence, maybe. Murkowski got a lot of positive reception for voting against the last bill, but it's smarter to assume that doesn't necessarily stick up to this point, even with all the toxic garbage loaded into Graham-Cassidy.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Ruan I would deeply appreciate it if you could slap the topic of Graham-Cassidy into the op that nobody reads.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Reposting from Trumpthread:

Zoro posted:

Let us move on from reheating an old plate of meatloaf from three weeks ago to talk of more pressing concerns: healthcare. The Graham Bill has serious prospects of potentially passing, especially with the added pressure of knowing the deadline is coming up. We need to start making phone calls. I have done so myself, but I live in a blue state so it's not doing much. If you red state individuals can begin encouraging your friends and family as well as participating yourself in some preliminary calls, we can certainly begin to nip this in the bud. Waiting for the CBO score may be too late: if they're smart, they'll ram it through the second that thing is done and it will be like the house vote all over again.

I think it was in this thread earlier where we hashed out the Paul/Collins/Murkowski sticking point for the bill as-is. This is still zero reason to treat its failure as a given, and any "lol it'll never pass" before October actually hits needs to get loving quashed. The venom of the GOP may vary in its potency, but a snake is a snake and you should never bury the thought that they'll turn on you to bite if they have the opportunity. This bill has it all: the return of pre-existing conditions, defunding planned parenthood, the death of medicaid and on top of it all a bunch of chuds calling it Obamacare light. There's a lot that can be used to bludgeon whatever jackass represents your state.

I'm probably beating a dead horse with this post, and I'm fully aware of what actual influence the American public has on policy. On the other hand, this effort is effectively a push for state-sanctioned murder via austerity, so I'm not really especially bothered if I belabor the point.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden tomorrow will push back against "Universal Basic Income," or UBI, one of the most popular suggested solutions to the massive eradication of jobs that's feared because of automation. UBI is a check to every American adult, but Biden thinks that it's the job that is important, not just the income. In a blog post tomorrow timed to the launch of the Joe Biden Institute at the University of Delaware, Biden will quote his father telling him how a job is "about your dignity. It's about your self-respect. It's about your place in your community."

Why this matters: UBI is seen as a solution to growing inequality and unemployment driven by technological change that's gained credence among some tech executives and investors. Hillary Clinton considered making it a part of her 2016 presidential campaign.

The Biden institute's emphasis the first semester will be the future of work and Biden will host an event at 4 pm Tuesday in Wilmington, with speakers including Biden; Elaine Chao, the secretary of transportation; and Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union. It will be livestreamed here.

Edit: not going to lie, half the reason I posted this is for the fact meme 'Diamond Joe' Biden seems to have superseded reality.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776281847386112
Rand Paul appears to be trying to poison the well on this. Gentle reminder to browbeat whoever represents you into not voting for this.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/909806872844259328

In unsurprising news, McCain is trash.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/909825989588525058

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Here's a helpful and healthy infographic for all y'all.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/909837150530818048

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

joepinetree posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909953325700747266

I wonder how and if this is going to be covered.

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909857575541329920

Now I really have to wonder what's going on up there.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Oh my word he loving didn't.

Fits with his platform though, which seems to be 'okay stuff' mixed with 'pure garbage'.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

berserker posted:

Just FYI, Graham-Cassidy rearranges into

Acid harms gays

:aaaaa:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

So - my GF Consiladated all her Student Loans a few years ago. Everything was fine. Except, for whatever reason, there was a single loan that didn't get consiladated. No problem - she had it on a payment plan.

Well, this week she gets a letter in the mail, from the state of South Dakota, telling her that her License would be suspended at the end of next month.

So she calls the number on the letter and finds out that the South Dakota State purchased her Loan debt (from a company based in Wisconsin). Because she now owes South Dakota money, and because SD passed a law recently that allows the state to suspend Licenses for people who owe the state money - they're suspending her drivers license because now, she owes the state of South Dakota money.

So she calls the original owner of her loan - and they confirm it.

The State of South Dakota scoured their citizens for college grads, cross-referenced those Citizen-Graduates with Purchasable Outstanding Student Loan Debt, purchased that debt, and are holding Drivers Licenses' against the debtors... at least that's what it looks like.

To make matters worse - my GF had 4 years left to pay on that loan, specifically. She'd setup a payment plan and was paying it off.

Now, however, the State has given her 20 months to pay off the entire debt. That's as deep as the state is willing to go on a payment plan. 20 months. So her payments went from something like >$100 a month to $330 a month.

Is there anything she can do? Is there any way to fight this? Is this even legal? Thanks.

Edit/Conclusion/Consensus: State can puchase individual private debt and use the powers of government to force payment (via suspension of licenses/liens). Really? Yes. Why? "It's not illegal." Best bet = Write Government Officials.

Click this for hot reddit action and South Dakota rendering itself even more uninhabitable.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Usually it's the second order effects that drive talent away.

Or walk away, as the case may be.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

It's bad, but it's bad in the same way as the last time McConnell called for a vote on the BCRA, 2015 repeal and so forth. A hard vote dispels the idea that they aren't trying to fulfill their promises, whatever the outcome, and makes it harder for their donors to put their careers in even more jeopardy.

It's awful, mind you, and not an awful I want to dismiss.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Power Walrus posted:

Wouldn't leaving it entirely up to the states facilitate a massive brain drain into the few states that actually set something decent up? Or, is that the point? Why??

"poo poo what's in this bill? gently caress it gotta pass somethin"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Frankly the one thing I would suggest that Bernie must do is throw away any psychological hangups about Graham or Cassidy acting as peers. They're two among the most evil men on earth, treat them as such.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Graham is really smooth though.

You overestimate Graham. He has that oily salesman schtick, but it doesn't require a great deal for the charade to break. And when it breaks, it breaks hard.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

'Clinton alum' aha, okay, now the pieces are falling into place.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Koalas March posted:

social media

This seems like a terrible idea for reasons that go far beyond the current point of discussion.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

If ya'll haven't been following this Jimmy Kimmel Healthcare poo poo, it's loving good. Here's day 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=457&v=KUH0KQ1qMiw

I have to assume he's going to be doing this every night until the end of the month.

I think my annoyance about his Lindsey Graham comment just disappeared in a glorious cloud of ephemeral piss.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I have no idea what that means.

'Lindsey Graham is one of the few people who stands up to Trump'. Which is actually rather not true. Opposite in fact.

I'm not making hay over it because Kimmel going on air night after night to rally people against legislative murder so far outweighs one moment of unwarranted good will that it's barely even a mote in the eye of god. I just kind of want to hope more people start recognizing Graham as the harbinger of the apocalypse.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/911286349017288705

Like I loving trust McCain, but maybe...?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I'ma reiterate what was said in Trumpthread and remind everyone that it's not October yet and we should not treat this as a dead issue until then.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean hell we're going to be right back in t his mess next year.

If this fails? No, we won't.

And if they are then you really know something is up with the Republican party because they're not doing this for health care.

Majorian posted:

I was under the impression that Collins was much more firm of a "no." Obviously that can change, though (or I could have just misheard).

A no vote on this would be much more costly for her at this juncture, I think. Yeah, there was a 'leaning no' sort of statement included in a release earlier but that was followed up with a much more confident stance of opposition.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

"DREAMer protesters are a Russian psyop" Pelosi.

This is still one of the more batshit things that have happened this year, in case anyone had any illusions that we aren't fundamentally broken as a society in ways no one is really ready to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/911287273655881731

"MCCAIN HAS FLIPPED" - Topher Spiro, smarty-pants.

• Locked thread