Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

He did but not immediately. Bernie never did it. My point is that when you insist on receiving $1.5m for something of huge value with a market value of at least $5m (the article suggests the DNC has probably already raised about $15m using the list? By the way), that's hardly a "grift".

well she lost so maybe she should give her list over to help the party recover and the extremely wealthy person shouldn't try to turn a profit on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think any day the Clintons don't have like, a fair chunk of their assets seized to fund actual useful candidates is a day they should consider a win

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you're worth over, let's be generous and say 5 million, and you lose a presidential election the party should be legally allowed to just take your poo poo and use it until they win again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tom Perez shows up in front of the Clinton compound with a repo van and just starts filling it once a day until the ~blue wave~ actually hits

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Notice how we commoners are expected to selflessly donate our money and volunteer our time in order to protect the country from fascists, but the party bosses can't even facilitate that by providing fundraising information that they already have unless they personally can pull in a huge pile of money by demanding 10% right off the top.

yea I get fuckin emails daily from these motherfuckers telling me they NEED my :10bux: or Donald Trump is gonna personally skullfuck Tom Perez but the person worth like 50 million gets to make sure they turn a profit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

It's amazing how much this thread apparently values the DNC when it gives them an opportunity to poo poo on Clinton.

the DNC can eat my hog but considering how 90% of Clinton's argument why she was better than Sanders was 'HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL DEM LIKE ME' she could maybe show some party loyalty

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

Perez ain't got the balls to do it.

If he runs will the signs say Perez for Prez? I hope so.

I have to admit, as a fan of snappy slogans he'd have my vote

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh man now everyone's gonna bet on sports for the first time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

you might wanna read up on the case WJ. she can face criminal sanctions for this. she could be unseated for this poo poo (her predecessor was unseated for being a corrupt piece of poo poo too).

it's a really dumb move if she did this cause she's just a jerk. and there would be a pattern of this poo poo too.

what she did stinks to high heaven, and dws being involved is the only reasonable explanation right now

how on earth would DWS force her to do it, more than one person can be a corrupt scumbag

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

i didn't say DWS forced her to do it. And yes, i believe snipes is corrupt, and she did it by request of DWS.

why would she do a favor to DWS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/josh__kuh/status/996928428052918277?s=21

So there’s been quite a bit of drama recently in DSA related to back and forth about ableism and the Jacobin documentary.

This is a new thing though. The quoted tweet is from a member of DSA national leadership. I’m not familiar with the pastor in question. But recently it seems like DSA has been having a lot of infighting. Natural, of course, for an organization that grew very big very quickly, but concerning all the same.

"I don't get why I'm being frozen out by the DSA, I better try to torpedo anything they do without me, also I love this dude who thinks gays deserve AIDS"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did you reach that conclusion, Al?

I mean, considering a non-zero amount of coverage of the wedding leadup was basically 'won't it be nice when this dirty american mud person is made into a proper brit' I'd say having a ceremony that genuinely did an excellent job blending both royal traditions and allowing Meghan to have the freedom to express herself too and pay tribute to her own tastes and roots and all isn't a completely minor thing.

I'm pretty sure the royal family who married straight up German fascists is still a pretty big living symbol of white supremacy tho yea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
GG is very knee jerk but even then his knee jerkery is to the correct side 90% of the time. He's not quite as smart as he thinks he is but he's at least more honest than most.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's the best summary of his position that I can find, it's literally verbatim from an interview he gave in April. Unedited. You tell me what about this strikes you as "seriously completely out in left field"

https://twitter.com/tvietor08/status/841966576190533633?lang=en

Yea I think he likes to kinda troll people by making more inflammatory statements that rile up the Red Scare folks but his core view has always been 'yea Russia tried poo poo, we try poo poo all the time, everyone tries poo poo. I can't imagine how people can think Russian bots genuinely can push the lever further than the dark money and political machines that are 100% legal and allowed though'.

Like, yea no poo poo Trump is corrupt, no one not on the right has ever disagreed there, and yea he probably obstructed justice and has shady business dealings, but none of those are actually 'collusion' in the sense that the #resist team uses it. Nothing beyond embarrassing emails was actually hacked and votes weren't changed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Again this is not to say "both sides" but Bill and Hillary Clinton made tens of millions of dollars thru influence peddling and shut down their bogus Clinton Foundation for laundering their bribes once she lost the presidency and wouldn't be able to sell access so forgive me for not freaking the gently caress out about democracy being doomed because dipshit Trump just removed the flimsy moral pretext and takes the bribes directly.

"How did Bill Clinton make tens of millions of dollars AFTER he was president?" is one of those questions that libs really don't like to think about.

yea being a corrupt rear end in a top hat should be punished but it's not like Donald Trump invented the act of political corruption. He's just so stupid he decided to overtly go "HELLO YES WOULD YOU LIKE TO BRIBE ME? DADDY NEEDS HIS BRIIIIIIIIIIBE" and even a complete dipshit can't reasonably ignore that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
JeffersonClay must be horrified to see all the leftists supporting the right when they point out the NYT and all being idiots supporting the 'free speech' of nazis but ignoring minority activists getting no-platformed and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

What Glenn Greenwald should do is put 25 qualifiers on every point he makes so bad faith shitlibs can't pretend to misunderstand him.

Oh, what's that you say? It would totally destroy his ability to make an effective argument? Weird coincidence, that.

This is obviously bad faith projection at this point.

"People who get mad about free speech* using guys like the google weirdo** should also be mad about this NFL bullshit***"

"*It's not actually a free speech issue****"
"**I don't support him because his issue was he made a hostile work environment and 'free speech' was just a fig leaf*****"
"***This actually is a free speech issue considering basically all the players agree it should be allowed and thus is not making a hostile environment"
"*****Free speech is good"
"******Not a literal fig leaf just a turn of phrase"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

I hope you realize that this take essentially nullifies the 1st amendment entirely since this vague “threat of potential violence” can be applied to literally any protest movement. And you can bet your rear end that it will be applied to the left FAR more than the right.

Also pay your maid.

lol yea the left is already treated so fairly it'd be a real shame if that changed, chungo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

It's demonstrated fact that the Irish, Greeks, Italians, etc were at one point considered "non-white" and then later considered "white".

But that there was a conspiracy to cause that conceptual change in whiteness...

Do y'all have evidence for that?

it wasn't really a conspiracy so much as 'whiteness' in the west is forever linked with 'acceptance by all institutions'. It's like how freaks like the Bell Curve dude write about how to be 'normal' Americans you need to do all these flags that boil down to 'middle class white life' like, I dunno 'have you ever owned a pickup truck' or whatever. The idea is this normalcy is tied to white middle class life so that any random rich guy can go on a 'listening tour' or whatever to gain communion with ~real america~ but, say, a black guy in the projects is locked out of that.

Whiteness is something to earn because the unspoken other side of that is 'whiteness is social and legal acceptance', and by that token blackness is contagious. The reason why the white poor are so bad is because they live around black people in the projects, but there's nobility in THAT poverty because they frame the virtues of hard workin real Americans around what amounts to 'has your family owned a farm or business in the last three or four generations'. White people have an easier time tracing that back to say 'oh, yea' than black people who tend to trace that back to 'oh, no, we were the farm equipment'.

In the grand sense it's a divide between rural and urban poverty but even THEN we treat white rural poverty as either a joke or some mystical noble concept where you're basically a shaman but minority rural poverty is outright ignored or worse we get poo poo like white people's old folk remedies being magic and wonderful but, say, voodoo is scary and gross and evil.

This is a really long, rambly, way to say there's no 'conspiracy' it's an issue of whiteness being granted when society basically decides there's worse, more obvious, 'others' to focus on than what you are. People stop caring that the O'Doyle family next door talks funny and is probably the wrong Christian when on the other side the Washingtons moved in and holy gently caress those guys are BLACK we gotta get together and get those freaks out of here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

I guess what I see of it is that it is unearned.

I take my kid (4) hiking. He introduces himself to every single person we encounter. "Hi I'm X. I'm a volcanologist. I have an igneous rock." We've been trying to work on, don't introduce yourself before mom or dad does. He responds with "No I don't think so, they all love me". You can't go back to a for year old with, that's because you're Ronin Farrow looking motherfucker.

He gets a tremendous amount of positive attention as the default, unearned. I did too growing up.

The use of that word acceptance. Acceptance is almost always unearned.

Well yea no one is really born bigoted or whatever and of course whiteness isn't actually 'earned', we're talking culturally here. If you genuinely want to try to work to your kid's whiteness not being toxic or whatever just raise them to be socially aware of the world beyond their bubble. Like, there's no real light way to answer 'why did the cops taze the basketball player and have to say sorry now' that isn't just 'because he was a racist and probably knew his department would protect him if it was any black person other than a major celebrity' but that's how someone learns 'oh so poo poo's kinda hosed up for different people isn't it' and from there can learn 'so we should work to change things for the better'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He also laughed about striking workers being slaughtered in South Africa so I'm starting to think this guy's a real piece of poo poo or something!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the reason the bee thing doesn't matter is because it's a wealthy white woman calling another wealthy white woman a oval office. It literally means nothing other than it being a naughty word.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I can't imagine how the generation who has to have three gig economy jobs with no benefits could come to this conclusion

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

self unaware posted:

one of the bright parts of Trump's presidency is him making fools out of other world leaders

never argue with an idiot. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

"Look ok you won the election so we'll try to talk this trade poo poo out but surely you understand you can't just go economic isolationist right?"

"gently caress YOU GLOBALIST CUCKS"

"Well, ok this is dumb but I guess we'll move on without you"

Yep, those guys look like real fools.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

B B posted:

"Elect us, and we'll let you know our policies!"

let you know of what we're THINKING of making our policies!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/RepJoeKennedy/status/1005114067059728384

No. No you do not get to make an "oopsie-doodle" with armageddon.

how can you even be the most useless Kennedy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this guy fuckin rules.

So did Seattle already cave?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fuckin sweet, love my dipshit country

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Open borders and ubi leading to BILLIONS of people flooding in is some crazy Turner Diaries speculation that serves no goal other than to dismiss even the idea of progress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

This strategy of not even trying to stop them is gonna work any day now

"Because the democrats were just so respectful and polite I've chosen to nominate Obama to the court. Both Barrack and Michelle actually, you guys were just too drat nice and finally shamed me into agreeing."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wildcats!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

If Bernie had ended up on a third-party ballot due to a technicality in a state Hillary was already pretty much guaranteed to win? Doubt I would've minded much.

He's already publicly endorsed AOC.

Look, the instant Crowley does anything that even remotely looks like actively campaigning, I'll be with you guys 100%. But right now it seems to me like you guys are wasting a whole lot of energy getting angry over absolutely nothing.

he could just denounce his name being on the ballot, tell no one to vote for him, and explain that this is not what he wants. Also he can, ya know, get off the ballot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Neither are Biden or Harris.

Harris was literally the AG who wanted to jail parents if their kids skipped school, she's such a cop she should have a punisher skull with the blue lives matter stripe on it stuck on her desk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

As an AG, you don't get to choose your clients and you have to defend the state.

Everyone else has explained why this was a dumb post but holy poo poo this is such a crazy statement. State AGs literally constantly refuse cases for reasons ranging from 'not a good use of resources' to 'bad politics for me' to 'eh, gently caress it'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol Henry Olsen writes for National Review and his entire body of writing is just jacking off Reagan, but yea lemmie listen to what that dork thinks the democrats should do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

Sure is nice of these Republicans to give Democrats all these secret tips to win elections! You'd think they'd not want to do that since it really makes no sense but as we're taking in all these Never Trump refugees, like Comey and the ghouls that masterminded the Iraq war, and asking their opinions we might as well take ones from the RNC as well!

I love that the party leaders of the DNC are genuinely dumb enough to fall for literally 'oh nooo don't throw me in the brier patch'. Like, these people write these 'as a lifetime republican who's done nothing but support republican agendas let me warn you democrats not to get TOO left' things and people ACTUALLY loving read them and go 'oh dear, I think he's right, how nice of him to warn us.'

Like, is this just the apotheosis of the West Wing Poisoning these people are dying of? They just assume politics is a very noble and sporting thing that no one wants to win the WRONG way? What broke in these people's brains to make them like this other than their complete insulation from the real world harm that comes from this stuff?

Sorry I've been finally reading about that Ozfest thing where a bunch of neolibs had a party in the most bougie part of the eastern seaboard where they jacked off each other and I've spent the day wanting to rage puke on someone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's what made me actually look it up. You genuinely can't imagine how terrible it was until you hear it first hand.

Y'all excited to hear Tom Perez answer every question even slightly critical of the DNC with 'Distraction Donald'????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is also good if you're not down with the trap

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/a-neoliberal-nightmare-at-ozy-fest-2018-702600/

quote:

The whole thing seemed like a joke cooked up by Chapo Trap House, so it was fitting that I went with Matt Christman and Will Menaker of that podcast. Often held up as the prime example of “the dirtbag left” (a term originally coined by CTH’s Amber A’Lee Frost), the show combines leftist political commentary with irreverent humor. It devotes quite a bit of time to dragging on the centrist liberals who make up the establishment wing of the Democratic Party – or, as the Chapos are fond of calling them, “lanyards.”

On entering Central Park’s Rumsey Playfield, we were gifted bottles of Aqua Hydrate electrolyte water, as well as festooned with wrist-lanyards and bright orange, OZY-Fest branded bandanas. “What sex act are these code for?” wondered Menaker. “Are we piss pigs?” A one-day general admission pass set me back $112 with fees. Over by the port-o-potties, an adult-sized playground toys with spinning blocks listed seemingly unrelated factoids, like how Lenin started the October Revolution and what year the first issue of Playboy came out and who was on the cover (1953, Marilyn Monroe), under the mysterious heading “The Thread.” Was it our job to find the thread, or was whoever made this simply balls-deep in Mark Fisher’s Capitalist Realism? “The power of capitalist realism derives in part from the way that capitalism subsumes and consumes all of previous history,” wrote Fisher. “One effect of its system of equivalence which can assign all cultural objects, whether they are religious iconography, pornography, or Das Kapital, a monetary value,” flattening them all into decontextualized “artifacts.” Lenin. Marilyn. All that was missing was the Pope.

We arrived to a gaggle of wilting professional types in motivational T-shirts (clear winner: “Dance like Russia isn’t watching”) sitting cross-legged on the ground while Alex Rodriguez and some likeminded folks testified from the main stage (or as the fest calls it, “the platform”) as to how each became an entrepreneur in terms Christman likened to a religious conversion. “It’s like being a born-again Christian,” he observed. “‘When did you become an entrepreneur?’” If A-Rod mentioned the entrepreneurial benefits of being a rich and famous baseball player, he did so only in passing.

I doubted anyone would recognize the Chapos, which was probably for the best, but a lone fan – or “greywolf,” as they are called – came up to them and asked if they were the podcasters themselves. They said yes. “Do you mind taking a picture with me?” he asked. “I love your show.” They said of course, and I took a few photos of them with the guy’s phone. We didn’t manage to ask why he was there, but figured he was probably someone’s plus one – it seemed like a pretty steep ticket price for anyone who wasn’t getting paid to be attending ironically. The Chapos expressed annoyance that their press pass request had been turned down and we weren’t allowed to sit. “You’re lucky they let you in at all,” I replied.

We next headed down to the Central Park bandshell for a panel called “The Future of Everything” featuring Silicon Valley financier Mike Moe; Cyndi Mi, CEO of education startup VIPKid; and Steven Pinker, who’s made a career of packaging old ideas about hierarchy in a shiny veneer of Enlightenment philosophy and evolutionary-psych pseudoscience. As Pinker bounded out onto the stage like a majestically greying golden-doodle, I felt lucky the acid had yet to kick in, although the panicked looks on my companions’ faces made me worry what might be to come. “Let’s just stand over here,” Menaker advised Christman, who was already starting to yell, as he steered us away from the chairs.

Much of the panel focused on education. “Educational entrepreneur” Mi spoke about children in the language of the market; parents must “invest” in them. She spun her business model of contracting down-on-their luck Americans to instruct Chinese students in English via webcam for $14-$18/hour, plus incentives, as a positive for everyone involved. When she used phrase “curriculum product,” I thought Christman might have an aneurysm. (The current wave of strikes by teachers fighting – and often, winning – against that very casualization and privatization of their profession, went unmentioned.)

When questioned on economic inequality and the gig economy, the panelists rushed to both to naturalize the shift toward neoliberalism and demonize those who would oppose it. “The biggest causes of inequality,” said Pinker, perhaps worried the guillotine would soon come for him, “are revolutions, wars, and plagues.” “It’s like gravity, you can’t fight it,” said Moe, noting cheerfully that the average person will soon have at least 15 different careers before they retire – “if they retire.” “There’s nothing you can do about any of this, so all you can do is stay hydrated,” summarized Christman, taking a sip of electrolyte water. Give in, children. Let the cleansing waters of techno-vation pull you under as they hydrate your loving lungs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seyser Koze posted:

What's Universal Basic Wealth, as opposed to income?

it's the same concept but mixed with a general idea that things like CEO pay limits are good and billionaires are bullshit and shouldn't exist. Basically 'we should provide both basic income and an environment where the uber-rich aren't so vastly above everyone else because both those are important in keeping a just society'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"I'm not racist, I'm just hyper nationalist" is a bold play for dems.

Remember when MSNBC literally did a story about Russian anchor babies like that was a normal thing

• Locked thread