Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hail satan, especially if he will stay the firm hand of irma from destroying your property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Ground floor on USPol.

Anyway, godspeed to the city that gets Amazon HQ2.

my money is on toronto

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gonna be Indy. The state will then becomes Amazon Prime State and no one here will notice or care.

who is governor now that pence is gone? the big thing about state governments and attracting business now is that it's a question of if they can afford to shovel subsidies at the private firm, and are they willing to toe the liberal line on minority rights? when the trans bills and bathroom laws were going across the south there was a large amount of pressure in georgia to pass a similar law but it got shut down at the state level because major corporate players like delta, coca-cola, and the growing film industry in and around atlanta told governor deal to knock it off. because of that indiana, north carolina etc. may not be credible players to attract a big fish like amazon for a while

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh poo poo uspol.

oh, poo poo uspol

or

oh poo poo, uspol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Efforts like these, though, are going to look exactly like the politically correct history whitewashing that many people are wary of.

oh no, people who don't like statues being removed and are racist will see this statue being removed and then use that to justify their already extant racism

this is other people's fault, somehow

Going out and covering a Jefferson statue with a shroud is just going to repel people rather than bringing them into having a conversation.

it's weird how conversations need to happen when other folks take action, but then when nobody's taking action that conversation continues to not happen

what a strange pattern. why it's almost like appeals to conversation or dialog are a weak excuse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edit: Never mind. I'm going to just end up digging a hole like others on these threads who earned everyone's wrath.

you're not ever going to make these people happy unless you completely capitulate and accept their view that blacks just need to quit whining and get jobs. look at how much colin capernick and other football players are angering them by refusing to stand for the national anthem. you're insisting that folks who get mad about statues being questioned can be rationally debated, i and many others question that assertion. we're just going to have to agree to disagree, not just you and me but the statue worshipers as well as the statue topplers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's certainly true that if you look at Charlottesville and come away with "both sides are hate groups and should be condemned" , as a few of my friends/family members did, you're probably beyond hope. I see your point.

yes. "they're both hate groups" is the same argument as "all lives matter", which is just "i dont want to have an opinion on this or say my opinion out loud because i fear being called a bigot, so i'm just going to say that both sides have problems to justify my inaction". at best these people are apathetic about institutional racism and the symbols of segregation and white supremacy, which is bad enough. what they fundamentally want is for activists to quiet down and not challenge the status quo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No, I agree with you. I guess I just had to be persuaded. I know people like this. I have a cousin on Facebook that I respect, but even knowing that I live in Charlottesville and knew Heather Heyer, he got huffy with me when I wrote a post about how disgusted I was about "many sides". He's also talked about how he's going to boycott the NFL because of Kaepernick. It's really dumb. I know people here won't agree, but I honestly don't think it's racism. He's just so deep in the centrism that he can't see the forest for the trees.

it's racism, but not rabid, angry racism. it's the quiet, still racism that stagnates in the hearts of people who would rather just not grapple with the idea that our society is actively constructed in a discriminatory, unequal manner. it's the same as being friends with a devout christian who won't tell you that you're going to hell, but you know they're thinking it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

i never understood the "but it's part of our history" argument, or rather i never understood why the counter to it wasn't "okay, then let's just replace them with monuments that accurately portrait that history". i mean, we have holocaust monuments in germany, they just don't, you know, celebrate that the holocaust happened. it's part of our history, it's important to remember, but for the right reasons please. therefore these monuments are somber places, with inscriptions or short movies that inform visitors about what happened. there, best of both worlds. the US still has monuments, but ones that don't celebrate slavery. has this ever been proposed?

for many americans history is not a quasiobjective, scientific discipline in the humanities which determines truths about the human condition

for many americans history is a political statement and one which articulates a self-identity

i'm sure this is true around the world but i can only speak for americans. if you look at any dumb facebook slapfight about confederate statues you'll see plenty of middle aged approaching old age rural white americans aggressively asserting in poorly formed english that the people who disagree with them need to study their history better. plenty of folks who haven't seen a classroom in decades will describe themselves as amateur historians while making just hellishly ignorant arguments. history is among the most political of the humanities and the articulation of racist and incorrect folk history is an essential component of syncretic white american identity

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also i'm against removing statues of thomas jefferson because we have very few statues of neurodivergent persons and he was definitely on the autism spectrum

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

It's not meaningless. At some point the democrats are going to have control of government again and if they signed on to this they will have to deliver.

and on that day, you will complain heartily i am sure

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

If you aren't complaining you aren't paying attention.

ah i didn't know mcmagic was a 90 year old man trying to return a decades old toaster at wal-mart

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Unless you think the country is perfect and the government is addressing people's needs perfectly. I mean I guess you could believe that....

i'm gonna save everyone some time when i hold you down and tattoo "i demand to speak to a manager" on your forehead

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

i've also never seen a novel point in this eternal debate. people are posting the same old things at each other, loudly, without changing anybody's mind. it's not so much that we can't handle criticism of HRC, it's more that these discussions are tiresome as poo poo and don't lead anywhere, ever.

leftists robotically repeating dogma which has failed to have any real world impact, you say :thunk:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

it's me, i'm trying to kill the white race. please do not tell the police, thank you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

According to the proud boys and tradwife, jerking it is killing all the sperm. Those poor little sperm are just smashing into the keyboard and dying helplessly.

:argh: ted cruz!!! :argh:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Don't try to politicize it by talking about guns, gun culture, NRA extremism, mental health, social assistance, welfare, spousal abuse or anything really... violent crime happens in a vacuum. There are people, guns and bullets, and sometimes the universe, via quantum jesus mechanics, rearranges them in such a way that a bunch of kids die.

:(

also the media is to cowardly to blame the real threat: radical. islamic. terrorism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrSargent posted:

So this guy I went to college with posted this article about the impact of the meat industry on climate change. The article isn't bad, but his accompanying post just makes me want to tell him he is a loving moron and is sniffing his vegetarian farts while patting himself on the back.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/eco...rtheenvironment

His post: "Don't be a hypocrite. If you claim to care about the environment and are concerned about climate change, then stop eating livestock (ie stop eating meat). If you can't fathom the concept of not eating meat, then please STFU about climate change. "A widespread switch to vegetarianism could curb emissions by nearly two thirds and veganism by 70%."

My biggest issue I guess is him taking a complex topic like climate change and simplifying the solution to "everyone just needs to switch to vegetarianism" without considering economic barriers, culture, and the 6.2m jobs in the industry.

i mean this is true of anything popularly consumed by society. if this guy owns a car he's just as bad as a meat eater. as a wise old hedgehog said, turns out you can't be an ethical consumer in a capitalist society

also lmao if he has kids or plans to have them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

the question is why not start with meat consumption?

the question is if anyone can really hold themselves morally superior for choosing to do thing while living in a capitalist society which ruins the environment in many different ways

it's like, ok, go vegan, but if you still have a kid and live in a tract home and drive a car and buy a new phone every couple of years then you're just engaging in token reduction of consumption for moral effect

even the people who ride bikes and live in tiny apartments downtown and practice radical freeganism could still stand to tone it back. it's a never ending slippery slope when you start moralizing about how your participation with the capitalist system is more moral than someone else's and how if everyone made the choices you find personally acceptable the world would be a better place

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

Can people feel morally superior for supporting leftist policies? If they can, then vegans (or less-meat-eaters) can also feel morally superior. I get that western consumption culture is amoral and I agree. But isn't departure from that morally superior?

you're not really departing from it if you eat less/no meat and say "i'm doing this for the environment". you're constructing a false departure so you can justify your choices as morally better than other people's choices. yes, you're having an incredibly tiny impact on AGW via your personal choices but it's nothing to grandstand or shame others over when you personally could be doing so much more

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

not really, because of the mass flight of people and capital during the enormous suburban wave of the mid 20th century american cities went through a period of undeserved decline and population loss from 1960ish to 1990ish which has been reversing with a population boom as millenials move back into cities causing ills such as gentrification and housing crisis (the same thing really, depending on if middle class white people are helped or harmed)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Massive over the top sprawl: Atlanta, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Jacksonville . It's straight up not feasible for most cities and as seen recently with Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix it's not something that's going to be able to last if the city gets actual industry in it. See Atlanta and all of Texas. They're becoming very expensive any place with a reasonable commute. Phoenix is headed that way as well.

industry doesn't matter anymore really. most of these cities are based in service provision. atlanta in particular is a transportation and logistics hub, has a bunch of office space, and is growing rapidly in entertainment production due to generous subsidies by the state of georgia. last year more feature films were produced in georgia than california

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
unaffordability also means different things here - does it mean that decently paid white collar white people have to have a roommate to afford a two bedroom apartment? or does it mean that lower income often nonwhite families are being effectively banished to the distant suburbs with even worse job prospects and worse transportation options? because society should care far more about the latter than the former

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

All I ever hear about NK is about their nukes. How good is their early detection/warning systems? I know the sheer amount of rockets, artillery, and other ordinance aimed at Seoul is massive, but if the US was to conduct an Alpha Strike could we successfully take out enough of their equipment to negate or drastically, drastically reduce the effectiveness of any reprisals?

I'm not condoning such a strike, mind, just curious because my knowledge on this subject is rather limited.

no - a nuclear strike is completely off the table because of the literal and political fallout it would generate

north korea is thought to have a pretty robust anti air system. many parts of north korea's military are super lovely and anemic due to national poverty but they do have a few solid and dangerous capabilities - namely elite infantry, and both anti-ground as well as anti-air artillery

it is unlikely the us could pull off a first strike to neuter north korea's ability to fight in the vein of the attacks against iraq. iraq was set up to fight other regional powers, north korea has known for decades that the most likely nation to take another swing at them is the united states

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

No.

North Korea has more artillery pieces than we have cruise missiles.

If there is a full scale war it will be bloody as gently caress and have a poo poo ton of civilian casualties.

it would be pretty bad but then again south korea has known for decades that seoul is right next to the border and the north has a ton of artillery so it's not like they would be getting helplessly attacked. south korea has a very robust military themselves and have certainly gamed out the counterbattery action necessary if the north opened up. any northern artillery repeatedly firing would be quickly detected and destroyed by southern countermeasures

likewise south korea has had plenty of time to prepare for this possibility in terms of civilian evacuation and shelter, iirc there are tons of informal shelters all over the place in terms of reinforced basements required by building codes as well as formal shelters in the form of subway stations and other civic infrastructure which can be quickly repurposed. within a short period of the bombardment starting civilian casualties would likely drop rapidly once the initial shock is passed and local governments start evacuating civilians

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

It's more that it's just kind of absurd to say that there are military options that leave Seoul (or South Korea in general) "safe." No one is really questioning the ability of the US/ROK military to win a war with North Korea, but there's nothing we could feasibly do that wouldn't put people in South Korea in serious danger.

there's a ton of people who like to repeat the overblown fear that "seoul would be flattened within minutes by north korean artillery" when this isn't remotely true, you'd see thousands of civilian casualties but not like hundreds of thousands

both khy and zae were alluding to this - "I know the sheer amount of rockets, artillery, and other ordinance aimed at Seoul is massive" and "North Korea has more artillery pieces than we have cruise missiles"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean nuclear but alpha strikes (IE : Hitting hard with everything you can muster all in a single blow all at once). Basically could we saturate the northern part of the DMZ with enough conventional ordinance rapidly enough to take the oomph out of any retalation they'd attempt, and if so would they see it coming in time to be able to blunt any attempts at doing so (or get off a few thousand shots into Seoul before the missiles hit).

no, not without telegraphing our intentions via a sudden buildup of forces as well as loving the political situation

right now north korea is basically a turd in the middle of the floor and china, south korea, the united states, and japan are all looking at each other waiting for someone else to touch it first so it becomes their problem to clean up

khy posted:

That's what I was afraid to hear. It boggles the mind to think that NK has that much military ordinance not only stockpiled but actively aimed at a place like Seoul.

they don't really, a lot of their artillery is probably old and wore out and the amount of it they can dedicate to a pointless task like shelling civilians is limited because the more an artillery piece fires, the easier it is to detect and destroy

the stalemate of the DMZ is that both sides have spent a half century wargaming what would happen if the other side crossed the border suddenly like the summer of 1950. so neither side really can. and there are very few scenarios in which it makes sense for the north to just start attacking the northern suburbs of seoul

khy posted:

What's more, I can't quite understand their goal here - let's say they do get a hydrogen bomb mounted to a rocket, and are fully nuclear capable of strikes against SK, Japan, or the US. Do they think that somehow having those weapons will make us end sanctions against them? Do they think that they can hold a knife to our throat to get their way? The way they're impoverishing themselves to reach nuclear capabilities it seems like once they get there the country will be utterly, utterly destitute. So what happens next?

having a nuke means the us won't invade you, which to be fair is super high up on the list of existential threats to north korea

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 18, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

This is pre-nuclearization rhetoric.

Post-nuclearization, I have to ask: How confident are you that the North doesn't have nuclear artillery pointing at Seoul?

first explain why you think north korea would be so irrational as to drop a nuclear weapon just outside of their border on a civilian target

randomly shelling civilians with conventional artillery is already enough of a caricatured villain move but nuking them is just so moustache twirly i wonder what you think they would gain from it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Democrazy posted:

Oh, well as long as it's only thousands of casualties...

i dunno about you but i think in any situation where a war breaks out, thousands of dead is a much better outcome than hundreds of thousands of dead. that's just me though, maybe you do math differently

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Democrazy posted:

General Turgidson makes the same argument in "Dr. Strangelove", interestingly enough.

i dont know what point you're trying to make here but i do know that you don't know what point you're making either. try reading my posts please, especially the one where i say attacking north korea is a bad idea that wont work

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I might be looking at it too rationally but it just seems like every time I turn around there's new sanctions or new measures that are all being passed with the goal of bankrupting the country because of their nuclear program, so once it's completed it's not like those sanctions and measures are just going to disappear and the economy will be instantly revitalized. Hell right now isn't the only reason that NK has any money at all because China routinely ignores the sanctions and trades with them illegally?

north korea has been an economically and diplomatically isolated pariah state for a long time so it's not like sanctions are that effective. i mean the sanctions hurt but we don't really want to destabilize the north korean government because nobody wants to clean up the mess, so we engage in largely ineffective token sanctions to say "we are really, really mad at you" for not putting the nuclear cat back in the bag

khy posted:

At the same time, I still don't fully understand why China is so dead set on supporting NK since they make about a billion times more money off of trade with the US and propping up an unstable dictatorship doesn't seem like it rewards anything worth the effort and cost.

china knows the us isn't going to cut off trade over north korea or really any other reason because it would shoot our economy in the gut as well

china puts up with north korea for two reasons

1) it's good to have a easily controlled satellite state there adjacent to two strong us allies that dislike china. the alternative would be a us-aligned unified korea right on the border with china
2) when north korea implodes and millions of refugees start looking for food there's only one direction they can go. they won't be able to sneak through the DMZ if south korea isn't willing to accept them. assuming north korea collapsed tomorrow, china would be shouldering the largest burden in cleaning up the mess and restoring order. and the best outcome for them would be... an easily controlled satellite state, which they already have

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

It's deterrence.

Your position appears to be, "They're freedom loving pacifists!"

i dont think you understand that the point of nuclear deterrence is to not use your nukes

also if i'm saying north korea is pacifist now please confer with the other guy who is accusing me of advocating first strikes against north korea so you can swap notes about who is dumber

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

You've either confused me for someone else or hallucinated a whole bunch of poo poo.

I pointed out that this --

-- is no longer, "overblown," thanks to nuclearization.

You should not be getting, "They'll initiate a first-strike," or something out of that.

ah cool, so you were unaware of the context of a previous discussion and were just inserting your awkward hot takes about how conventional weapons differ from nuclear weapons. thanks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

He does have somewhat of a point that a single nuke can do far, far more damage than the ten thousand artillery pieces.

The question of whether or not they'd use it seems kind of a moot point as right now their MRLs and artillery is already serving as a fairly effective deterrence against invasion or attack; increasing the size of the gun they have to Seoul's head therefor seems kind of pointless. The only reason I can see to expand that deterrence is either a) If they think someone can effectively neuter their artillery's effectiveness and they want something more robust to replace it with, or b) If they plan to aim the nuke at Seoul and use this as an opportunity to point the artillery elsewhere? But where exactly is SK as vulnerable as their capital? Or do they want to aim the nuke at someone else, in which case we still wouldn't invade due to the artillery so it becomes even more redundant.

it's the same problem of why you would allocate scarce military resources to attacking civilians instead of, you know, military targets, during a war

people really love to get all wigged out that north korea is going to go all cartoon bad guy and just start murdering women and children. it's the same reason people believe that kim jong un has people executed by strapping them to cannons, british empire style - it feeds into an established narrative of unrealistic behavior simply because they are the "bad guys"

Accretionist posted:

You hosed it up, so...

Edit: Nuclearization has upped the stakes. It's time to abandon your, "Sorry, the stakes are actually low," talking points.

you really have no idea what i'm saying or how to respond to me so i'm just going to ignore you now. i feel like you want to burn me for being a war hawk or too doveish or basically making you mad somehow but i dont know or care what i said or why so :shrug:

just google "seoul flattened artillery debunk" or something if you'd like to actually learn something instead of just limply dropping turds itt

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 19, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twice burned ice posted:

Are we the bad guys? :ohdear:

pretty much but we had long crossed that line by the time the bomb was a thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I'm not trying to paint them as good, evil, or anything else (Though truthfully I do believe them to be pretty drat evil) as much as I just don't see how nuclearization makes any real sense. The country is a hole that they cannot modernize for fear of the population finding out just how badly they've been trampled and possibly acting against the regime.

:confused: north korea is moderinizing though? they have their own internet. just because north korea is a weird isolated dictatorship with a broken economy and hostile, malicious government doesn't mean that it's not arguably modern. if anything, a big threat to the north korean government is the growing illegal free market that the government can't crack down on which undermines the control of information previously propping up the state

khy posted:

Pouring all this time, energy and money into developing a nuke doesn't make much sense to me as it won't improve things in any way. Maintaining the current status quo seems like the best option for the current regime, and a nuke doesn't seem to help that at all. You say that the advantage of having a nuke is to prevent invasion from the US, but from where I sit it doesn't seem like that's been imminent or anything. Hell, it seems like pushing for the nuke has been causing all the conflict and had they continued to hold the artillery gun against Seoul's head it would have meant they could continue to lord over the place while nobody else gives a gently caress.

a huge number of nations regard the united states as the biggest threat to world peace because we have been stomping around invading people a lot in the last 130+ years. most citizens of other nations would agree that it's more likely the us would attack north korea than north korea attacking the us. look at iraq, got invaded twice just a short time after receiving us support to attack iran. the only way to make sure you don't end up on the wrong end of the american military and our capricious foreign policy is to join the nuclear club

it's easy to forget if you are an american or other first world citizen that even though we think of ourselves as the bearers of noble democracy and freedom, if you look at our actual track record of when we go to war to liberate the oppressed, and when we go to war for stupid territorial or imperial reasons...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Guyovich posted:

if you actually read

may be asking a bit much for this subforum tbqh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I guess personally I never really thought of them 'modernizing' when less than a tenth of a percent of their country even has access to the internet, or when you see those viral space photos of the place where 99.9% of the country is pitch black at night while just north and south are brightly lit. Or when you realize they have like, 5 TV channels. Or when you realize that something like 10% max of the population has a cell phone (Though I have seen reports that say that number could be greatly, greatly inflated) and everything goes through censorship so strict it makes the Great Firewall just north of them seem tame and mild in comparison.

you're changing tack here - previously you were using "modernize" in the context of the north korean economy and how much of it they devote to their military budget. an unsustainably high amount, for sure, but north korea has something of a weakly functioning modern economy after recent (post kim jong-il) reforms as it slowly crawls towards something that works. north korea has factories and engages in limited global trade and is very slowly permitting limited private enterprise in chinese style economic reforms

but now you're talking about "modernize" from the perspective of the average north korean consumer and their personal electronics and media consumption, which is a different topic than the national economy

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909857575541329920

Now I really have to wonder what's going on up there.

most likely someone stirred up trouble at the vigil

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have a friend who works at tech and apparently someone set a cop car on fire so i'm guessing it's a small group of showboating anti-cop protesters getting destructive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
from reddit

• Locked thread