Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress me sideways, the amount of spin it takes to make Pence's cold shoulder passive aggressive bullshit into a 'super heroic 14th dimensional ultra chess diplomacy move' needs to be studied by science. We've got to be coming up against some barriers of physics with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

sirtommygunn posted:

What the gently caress is so hard and/or bad about a public healthcare system that consists of "you get the care you normally would, but we send the bill to the state/federal government"?

How can someone in the 1% run a company in this situation that puts them into the .01%?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

What's in store for tomorrow, inducting one Foxington III, esquire, into the chicken coop?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

You’ve been thoroughly wooshed.

Eh, it's 2018 in Trumpmerica. I've been cutting people slack for not getting sarcasm or satire for awhile now. Anything you try along those lines, reality just comes along and slaps the poo poo out of you then laughs at your feeble efforts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Israel has had a plain-as-day lobbying agency for as long as I can remember. Corporations have the US government and its 'representatives' as a line item in their budget sheets. The 1% have turned our court system into a god drat horror show.

Trump should certainly be strung up by the short and curlies for collusion. The problem is singling out Russia and painting more cold war paranoia as the one weird trick to fixing democracy that they don't want you to know about is a pretty clear case of screaming about some trees and ignoring a forest.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/politics/house-republicans-russia-conclusions/index.html

The House Intel Committee has concluded it's investigation and waddya know, no collusion, no collusion, you're the collusion. Not only did Trump not collude, Russia didn't even try to get Trump elected. They, in fact, fed Hillary information through the dossier, so maybe we need another committee to investigate the REAL crooked individuals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

i always think to myself it's not really gaslighting if he truly believes the false poo poo he says.

Dementia's a hell of a drug. He doesn't believe a loving thing because two seconds after he said it he never said that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, everyone can make as much as they want just tax it at like 90% on every single type of income past the first million. Sure you still get to make more, just not $FUCKYOU money without helping out the rest of the country.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

You should probably camp out in a section of twitter that isn't a spawning ground for brainworms because oh lord.

Gonna have to request proof that such a place exists. I am unconvinced at this moment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even accelerationism is getting hosed in this timeline. Yeah lots of people are getting engaged and maybe we can beat back the proto-fascist demented cheeto but the Democratic establishment is a million times more effective at crushing any kind of leftward movement and progressive change than it is at getting elected.

Medicare Extra is exactly what the country has to look forward to on a good outcome of Trump. If things get lovely there will be multiple more Federalist Society toadies in the Supreme Court willing to eviscerate the country and then a not-incompetent strongman leader will burn democracy at the stake next time around and a huge portion of the nation will celebrate about it because nothing got done any other way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So here's a baseline question -- if your options are what we have now or Medicare Extra (e.g., a Public Option) are you going to walk away from it? Note: I think campaigning for and making Medicare for All (though maybe not the exact bill that Bernie has proposed in the past -- but that's marginal) you ask is a good idea. I am just trying to get a sense of if you are willing to accept that political reality might be that you get the intermediate step first.

Starting from a point of compromise and then giving up more in the name of 'political reality' as camouflage for loving over any kind of meaningful change for decade after decade is what got us where we are today.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That wasn't the question. The question is, would you walk away from it if it's possible and full throat-ed single-player isn't? (I explicitly said, the latter should be the starting point.)

And I purposely did not answer that question as these sort of questions have not been asked in good faith for decades. They have been camouflage for bullshit non-action in the face of societal turbo-loving at all levels below the 1%. Anyone asking them as a starting point betrays their desire to not actually fix anything, and this has resulted in a proto-fascist cheeto sitting in the Oval Office on the basis of "gently caress it, and gently caress you, he can't be any worse."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Build the wall"

"Rapists and murderers"

"Shithole countries"

"Radical. Islamic. Terrorism."

...but he's not racist guys!

Edit: Central park five. Losing a court case about specifying race in his buildings and excluding blacks.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 14, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it's not going to touch Roe V Wade. The 8th Circuit struck a near identical bill in 2015 out of North Dakota, and they're the court that this will go to.

What it is going to do is waste a shitload of state funds defending a blatantly unconstitutional bill to try and keep the dying population of old conservative Christians onboard with the rest of their platform.

This is currently true but the entire judicial system is being packed to the rafters by Mitch Mcturtle and the Federalist Society with lifetime appointment hardcore ideologues about 30-40 years old. I would severely temper any belief that the court system will be doing anything but kneecapping progressive agendas for the rest of our lives and if RBG kicks it in the next few years court cases like this, and many others, are custom-built efforts at breaking Roe v. Wade once they can get them before a friendly Supreme Court.

Remember all the blatant bullshit the Affordable Care Act went through? That was a shot across the bow compared to the open warfare they're lining up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You do have to keep in mind America's hideously warped political spectrum. Our Republicans aren't "conservative" in the rest of the world, they'd be considered screaming lunatics meanwhile our "centrists" have to have a both-sides debate about supporting Nazi rallies in the streets and our "progressive" party has spent decades skull loving unions but now can't figure out what happened to their voter base.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Look at all these millennial snowflake libtards that have a poor outlook on capitalism. Has to be all that campus brainwashing, only possible explanation. When they finally grow up and enter the real world they'll figure out why they're just so dumb and don't understand the truth.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
*Spends decades turbo-loving public unions while waging a campaign of mass incarceration and disenfranchisement of minorities*

VOTE HARDER YOU loving LAZY ASSHOLES, WHY CAN'T WE WIN ELECTIONS? LOOK WHO WON BECAUSE OF YOU.

:thunk:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ice Phisherman posted:

They're scared because they might actually have to fight someone who will fight back.

The mask is really coming off this controlled-opposition-party shtick with constant appeals to :decorum: in the face of marching, murderous Nazis and kiddie koncentration kamps.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Guess we're gonna go whole hog with this Gilded Age re-enactment thing aren't we? Violent union busting here we come!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Radish posted:

Of course if the people loudly screaming to demolish ICE or support actual minority rights start gaining power while the likes of Schumer and Pelosi try to defend Republicans and make themselves even more unpopular both inside and out of the party that changes.

Trying to remember where I've seen this particular playbook happen historically. It's right on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember it.

Sure is weird though how so many people lately are yelling about the established power structure willingly selling out leftist political activists, undercutting their efforts by allying with their opponents and attacking those working towards reform by painting them as extremists.

Weird.

I'm sure they're not related though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No just morons

There are a lot of people on the activist left who have not been able to wrap their heads around "the Democrats can't do anything to stop this" and are just in outright denial.

I mean yeah in a perfect world they'd actually be able to stop it and we wouldn't be where we are right now. Obviously we don't live in that world.

I don't think it's denial though, to call people out for clutching their pearls on their fainting couch while slowly chanting "But decorum, don't be an extremist!" I will grant that in this specific topic about re-establishing the 60 vote threshold for supreme court justices it's pretty dumb and misguided, and do so easily and willingly. (Because the real answer is to either impeach the stolen seats and replace them or to pack the court and actually fix poo poo) I think it's more a symptom than a cause though because Schumer and his lanyard analyst class have been absolutely determined to gently caress over everyone supposedly on their own side and to attack them more loudly and often than they attack Nazi sympathizers and outright white ethno-state supporters. Could he maybe draw the line at kiddie concentration camps and start being critical of this administration at least as often and loudly as he is of "left wing extremists" and terrible "activists"? People are loving pissed, for good reason, and attacking them over the people actually doing this poo poo is pretty god drat galling behavior that deserves to be poo poo upon from a great height. If he quit cutting off his so called "allies" at the knees constantly and started channeling that rage into something productive, then maybe they'll stop lashing out at him the next time he actually has a good point.

Probably not though. Lots of people are pissed off and getting into politics like they never have before and, well, no impression like the first impression.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not that hard to believe. Actual progressive policy might include things that deal with wealth inequality in ways other than, "boot straps or die in a ditch motherfucker". The money behind the throne with the dems isn't too keen on that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

So the Koch brothers announced they’re gonna break from the Republican Party and work with democrats on some of the policies they want.

Makes sense, they care about tax cuts and their own wealth destabilizing the country first and only. Why support the Republicans destabilizing the country over immigrants and loving up economies with tariffs when Democrats will give them what they want?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/11299090/tax-day-2016-filing-taxes-online

Old video but it's a good one on the topic of taxes. This poo poo has been a solved problem for years but the parasites of capitalism sensed a threat to their blood-funnel and made life loving miserable for millions upon millions of people so they can suck more out of society.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
On the other hand we've seen the outcome of selling poo poo messages for decades with a fresh, super charismatic candidate. People fired up on hopey changey stuff don't react too well when there's no change and the only thing given to them to hope for is the miserable status quo with some nibbling around the edges.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Majorian posted:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have a Cadaver Synod with Schumer once he kicks off? Or Trump or Pelosi or Gohmert or Ryan or Lieberman or...you get the point.

We've got people like Skeletor, Governor of Florida. Why wait until they're dead? Nobody could tell.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am frequently amused, in a horrified "Well we're totally hosed" way, how so much attention is put on the Russian actions and so very few people want to deal with the problems they exploited. Putin isn't some kind of galaxy brain mastermind backed by infinite resources lurking around every corner destroying "democracy". He's the autocratic head of a kleptocracy who knows how international power plays work, not a malevolent trickster god. The problems in America didn't spring forth fully formed from his forehead ready to destroy the country. This poo poo is 100% home-grown, he's just stirring the pot we've been brewing for decades.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

Yea keep in mind this is the starting position.

The GOP is gonna be like "40%?!? What are you asking for 30% for, we can't possibly give you 20%!"

Don't you know what would happen to the markets if we give you 10%? How about you agree to a reasonable compromise of 0%?

Still, anything that plants the idea in the mind of the public that, "Hey, wait a minute. Why DO these guys have all the power and call the shots without input from us?" would be a really good step in the right direction. Change THAT cultural assumption and poo poo gets wild.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hmm, yes, not wanting the press at one event with vulnerable participants is equal to calling them the lugenpresse fake news media. These two things are totally the same and we need to turn the tide of anger being developed by one of them against the other.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can I be deeply concerned about McCain's health now?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

If the very first words out of a Democratic presidential candidate's mouth on the topic of the Supreme Court aren't "2 more Justices, Merrick Garland among them" we can basically throw in the towel on any legislation not sucking a billionaire's dick for minimum two to three decades.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why would you push for Garland at this point. He was a lovely compromise pick that everyone acknowledged as such.

Sadly, there's still a ton of people that believe in the centrism garbage. Putting Garland in would be exactly the kind of camouflage those people would require to get over their objections. Objections bought and paid for and pushed into their minds by the GOP propaganda network because they have such mindless, squishy stances based on nothing. So throw in Garland as cover and then pull a Republican; find a hard core liberal ideologue who will rule from the bench, exactly the way Heritage Foundation toadies will, as balance to give the country a sliver of a chance for the upcoming decades.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No it actually was a respectable gun rights organization until they had a leadership coup in the '70s. Gun safety, conservation efforts for hunting areas, stuff like that.

Since then, yes, white nationalism gun industry lobbyists.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"They stole one supreme court seat and put a rapist on another. We need to fix that and Republicans will not vote to remove them, so here's my nominees to balance it out"

Sounds like a relatively easy political sell to me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

the moose posted:

If the dems do increase the number of Supreme Court seats and pack the courts whats to stop the gop from doing the same thing in 8 or so years when they re win all 3 branches of government with another openly fascist president?

Not a drat thing, welcome to attempting to triage the literally life-threatening damage to the spirit of democratic government and the norms that have kept it going this far while hoping there's some kind of fix to one half of the governing body being a death cult determined to destroy it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

RaySmuckles posted:

obviously the supreme court can be a powerful institution, but what's to stop any future dem leaders pulling a gw bush and just say "its national security, i'm ignoring you"

there is some hope that all this bickering over justices and manipulation of the process reduces the influence of the court.

"they made their ruling. now let's see them enforce it"

that is of course if we're somehow unable to just pack the court. or fend off kavanaugh (lol)

any serious ideas on how to fix the court? because its natural inadequacies are really showing

Anything would require a constitutional amendment, so good luck with that can of worms.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's a large contingent of the Democrat party that is bought-and-paid-for by the financial elite and their only purpose is to act as the controlled opposition. They're the heat sink of our current hypercapitalist system, there to absorb any criticism of the Republican "gently caress you, got mine, and yours, and theirs" style of government and safely dissipate it into useless fiddling around the edges of the system so that the core aim of skull-loving the poor rawdog style is maintained.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I know it was years and years ago but let's not also forget the $200,000 in debt that Kavanaugh had just mysteriously vanish because "LOL baseball tickets".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Representing organized labor would go against the purpose of the modern Democratic party so I wouldn't exactly hold my breath on that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Might I add, "we are suppose to tighten our belts with another round of austerity when the completely unpredictable debt crisis that nobody could possibly have seen coming becomes the issue the politicians begin screaming about as if they decided to give a poo poo finally"?

• Locked thread