Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Has anyone here been the target of a protest? I was at the 2012 inaugural when this happened like fifty feet away and I gotta say really it left me really nonplussed

Oh poo poo it’s the tone police, everybody scram!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Truly the revolution hinges on Twitter drama.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

Public relations and optics do unfortunately matter to a certain extent. We need to use that to our advantage not cut our noses to spite our faces just because it's dumb. Unfortunately the American electorate are loving dumb so we need to bend down and look them in the eye sometimes. And I'm not saying this as someone who is happy about it.

Oh I agree but I’m not sure scientists have developed a microscope sensitive enough to detect the Venn diagram intersection of useful PR and Reaction Twitter. This comedy forum meta discussion of some alleged no-follower Twitter takes on the possibly less-than-optimal counter-counter protest by Manning could literally not be any more meaningless.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn people, log off and maybe go for a walk or something.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

One of the biggest failures of the Kerry campaign was waiting too long to respond to the Swift Boat ads. This was one of the core lessons from 2004 that Obama's campaign learned and applied by officially shooting down every stupid theory with campaign releases but trying not to have them bubble up to the candidate needing to respond.

Now, we have an even faster media culture so campaigns and politicians need to prepare to respond quickly to even the dumbest of rumors and conspiracies.

Eh, that was almost 15 years ago. And it’s not like any amount of response ever definitively shut down birtherism or the secret Muslim poo poo. A lot of people are just stupid, petty, and more interested in scoring points online than anything else.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

Unfortunately trans women who respond to people smearing them are often met with stalking and harassment that can turn life threatening. Chelsea went to prison and was tortured, who knows what's going through her mind right now as she thinks about what to do. Or if she even knows about this second photo. Has anyone actually gotten her attention with it? I don't have Twitter anymore (because of harassment of course) or I'd @ it to her.

I did a cursory scan of her mentions because I’m bored and hungover and hypocritical about petty online slap fights, she gets so many mentions per minute that I don’t see how anyone could ever keep up. I did see the picture in question mentioned many times in the little window of time I glanced at. Twitter is awful.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

yronic heroism posted:

“Excuse me goon sir a link to threads where we talk about ACAB and use Pepespeak about freaking out “normies” is not what I asked. Kindly post the mathematical formula of all posts in the history of the forum about cops re: whether they are indeed AB to show how you arrived at your ratio. Until then ... goon day, sir! :goonsay:

Nice meltdown

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paracaidas posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. I bothered actually reading this. The tweet, and the way in which you've presented it, are grossly misleading.

:siren:DOUG JONES IS STATING THAT HIS ELECTION SHOULD BE A WAKEUP CALL TO TRUMP AND THE GOP THAT THEY NEED TO WORK WITH DEMOCRATS IF THEY WANT TO KEEP THEIR SEATS:siren:

This is utterly uncontroversial. If you'd like to paraphrase it, it's most accurately done as "The GOP needs to realize that if a Democrat can win Alabama, then no Republican seat is safe". If you're insisting on being uncharitable, the worst he's doing is telling his fellow Dems to avoid loving up like the Tea Party (who scuttled the Grand Bargain because Dems were only offering to gut the social safety net instead of entirely dismantling it), and as their most junior colleague(?) who looks to be a lameduck, that carries less than zero weight.

It is a fight. Republicans get this, Democrats don’t. But even if that wasn’t your point, I’m inclined to be skeptical when someone who hasn’t bucked a vote yet starts aww-shucksing about decorum.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Partly regression to the mean, probably republicans Actually Did a Thing (tax cuts), partly temporary news flurries caused by MEMO, partly the State of the Union lift, partly the fact that Trump has avoided actively making GBS threads on anyone or hitting any new depths of public embarrassment for the past couple weeks.

it'll swing around up and down over the next few months depending. There's a natural base rate of Trumpian support around 35% or so and his polling is gonna actively swing around that depending on which direction the news of the moment is pushing.

Perhaps, but I’m really coming around to the idea that these things matter less overall than the fact that there is no coherent message from the current Democratic minority other than “Trump bad.” That message didn’t work in 2016 and it’s not going to carry 2018. It’s why I think the shutdown was such a clusterfuck. Sure there wasn’t much of a path to victory for the Dreamers, but everyone already knew that. It’s the whole reason the 2016 election was so catastrophic: Republicans were handed the keys to the kingdom. Bad poo poo was and is going to happen. We’re going to lose, and lose bigly in some cases. The point is to put up a fight. Force the Republicans to nuke the filibuster and otherwise roll the Democrats, which they’ll happily do, but at least go down swinging. Instead we get Democrats voting to confirm awful nominees and Schumer offering up funding for the wall and a party apparatus that spends more energy fighting the left than Republicans. It’d be funny in a nihilistic sense, if the Republicans weren’t on the verge of having the numbers to push through a constitutional amendment to make it illegal for them to lose.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

We don't know that there's no Democrat message yet because we don't have the 2018 candidates yet. There's still plenty of time for a lot of progressive activists to emerge and start pushing strong left wing messages.

I mean, in the sense that we don’t know what slogans will show up for campaign ads, sure. But beyond that, that’s exactly the problem. What is the Democratic Party, post-Trump? Because I see this almost-universal shock at Trump’s ascent looking for an outlet that is willing to articulate what everyone knows needs to be said about America in 2018, and increasingly deciding that the Democratic Party ain’t it.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's a sort of natural result of not having any real party leadership right now. Once some candidates start winning some races and holding elected office, folks like Iron Stache or whoever else will have a real chance to push a progressive message.

I mean you aren't wrong that the Democratic Party needs a rebranding but we need new leadership to do that and new leadership has to come through new folks winning new elections.

I think that’s a charitable read of the Democratic Party, but ok I agree with this in general, for the House. Why I’m more cynical is because I think the Senate should without a doubt in play. I mean, grassroots organizing is great for bringing new Democrats to the House, but that’s a lot harder to spin up in one election cycle for a state-wide race like the Senate. This is where even an angry, obstructionist minority party would be helpful. Even if “the establishment” doesn’t know what the message should be, their standing for something — even if it’s just mindless opposition to Trump himself — could direct that energy to a pure, run-up-the-numbers campaign for whoever the best candidates for Senate are. My point is, if that were going to happen, we should be talking about these people now. Instead, Democrats are resorting to head-in-the-sand appeals to better angels and decorum and bipartisanship. And I think that’s showing up in the polling trend lines.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there an economic collapse thread? Looks like that long-fabled recession may finally be upon us.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t really have a problem with Medicare for All as a tagline anymore, now that I better understand it. I sort of still don’t like “free college,” because describing anything as “free” is the biggest trap to walk into. I like “tuition-free” because it’s more accurate.

Buddy I don’t mean to pick on you, but you’re plugged in enough to post in this thread constantly and most of the time it seems like minor pedantry and mild reservations like this. “Free college” vs “tuition free.” Who gives a gently caress. Go out there and bug all your less-engaged friends about it. We’re in the worst timeline, running headlong into facism, so what is there to lose by planting your flag as far left as you can? M4A, free college, disband the police, unilateral nuclear disarmament, close all prisons, Chelsea for Senate, break up big tech, nationalize the internet, full reparations, abolish the senate, a dozen other things I’m not that thinking of, etc etc. Let it wash over you...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

Are you sure that the Democrats in Virginia will take that as a sign that they should go further left and not, say, double down on centrism?

And if you better be willing to eat what a GOP senator is going to force down your throat.

I think Kaine is a pretty accurate reflection of the kind of voter that has turned Virginia into a Democrat state in recent years. Highly educated, suburban voters who have more compassion than Republicans but aren't so altruistic that they will screw themselves economically.

Are you a time traveler from 2016?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

Fair enough, but deciding to opt out of the Senate race is still a big move to me.

I don’t think my questions have been answered since 2016.

I don’t want to make too many excuses for the Democrat since I think they could still be making stands they aren’t making that would look bad in the short term but would help the party on the long term. I just get distressed when I see voters get alienated and opt out of the process when it’s more important than ever to stay engaged.

The more voters pick and choose when they decide to be involved and when they don’t, the less consistent policy we get from government and the more we have these horrific party flips which end up keeping the professional political survivors who avoid real stands in our government while the ones who actually take a real stand end up getting bounced out after one term.

Telling someone they should still, ultimately, vote for the lesser evil in some lovely Democrat is making excuses for Democrats though. Facist Republicans already control the government, one less vote for a do-nothing bad Democrat isn’t going to change that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the best things the Democratic Party leadership could do for the country is vow to step down from leadership positions after the elections. That should be a litmus test for the primary.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

You can argue that voting for the lesser evil is the rational choice until you're blue in the face, human beings aren't rational actors dutifully executing the Nash local equilibrium strategy. If Democrats keep giving us right-wing economic policy but with an apologetic smiley face, I will vote for them forever because Republicans want to put me in a camp, and my vote will not matter because enough of the people Dems are grinding under the heel of capitalism and now racism will fail to show and Dems will lose.

Did you mean to say you’d vote against them? It’s not clear what you’re arguing here.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just can’t get over the fact that Democrats are getting rolled by Donald loving Trump right now. What a disaster.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The core Democratic voter wants nice speeches and decorum. The core GOP voter wants to stomp on your corpse until dollars fly out of it. The Democratic party is ineffective and weak because, by and large, core Democratic voters either don't actually understand how politics work or don't prize power. Either option is contemptible.

I’m not gonna argue that the every Democratic voter is ready for the DSA, but I’d argue most of the blame lies with the party, which is so thoroughly contemptible as to be written off completely. There’s just such a dearth of talent at every level that we’re effectively starting a party from scratch. That poo poo’s hard, and unfortunate it looks like there’s a very real chance it’s too late. On the other hand, Bernie got a lot closer to breaking through than I would have expected, so that’s something. But yeah, decorum fetishists are the worst.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

No I will vote for them, "lesser evilism" works on me because Republicans want to put me in a camp so the rational choice is the guys who aren't trying to electrocute me until I stop liking dick.

But humans are not rational actors, and anyone who thinks lecturing voters about their duty to make the rational choice is going to inspire a wave of voters coming out to elect bootlicking sellouts who will slow-gently caress those voters into destitution is a fool.

Ahh OK wanted to check first before posting what I was originally going to say, which was lol they’re already literally preparing ICE to round up and deport the Dreamers, and while idk where you land in line for this nightmare sequel to the 1940s, it might be time to reassess your tactics. Democrats haven’t done a good goddamn for Dreamers and I don’t know why you’d think the “lesser evil” will do anything for you when your number comes up. But this is all so spectacularly awful and I don’t begrudge you for doing whatever it is you think you need to do to survive and it’s hosed up that we’re talking about this at all. Stay safe.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Perhaps the lesson of these indictments is that personality politics is just as empty and useless as decorum politics, and that perhaps Democrats would win if they advocated for policies that made people’s lives better. Like, let’s just go full idiot for a second and grant that Sanders is a full on Russian agent. If that gets us Medicare for all and free college tuition and the end of Wall St. then however you say “hail Satan” in Russian, I’m down.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

That was not my conclusion. I clearly stated the opposite -- that we should not.

The two questions -- "did the Russians commit an act of war?" and "what is the appropriate response" - are distinct.

The answer to the first is "signs point to yes."
The answer to the second is "nothing really beyond what Mueller is already doing."

This isn’t a great look, man. On the one hand you’re ready to launch targeted assassinations and perhaps even a land war if it wasn’t for those pesky nukes on the basis that a few Facebook shitposts indicates the tip of a larger iceberg of interference. But on the other hand, you just can’t get to yes on Chelsea Manning’s senate campaign over a lovely democratic incumbent. Like, why is it that you’re willing to perpetuate death and war but the idea of taking a risk on a likely flawed but morally grounded individual in a party primary requires an overwhelming abundance of caution and consideration?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

If this discussion has gotten to the "dredge up bullshit out of context discussions from months ago" stage then there's nothing more to say that's productive. Besides, I thought the new Thread Consensus was that Chelsea Manning was a Bad Candidate now anyway after the Nazi escape room thing? I can't keep up with how often the Correct Opinions change around here.

I didn’t mean this as a call out and I’m not trying to score points. I just think there’s an inconsistency between setting a high bar for a democratic senate primary and making the leap to executions and possible war on scant evidence. More broadly, I think our collective energy would be better spent the other way around: Support any random person who invokes leftist rhetoric and proposes a plan to advance a left agenda, and raise the bar for war and death. Perhaps then we’ll have elections that are Putin-proof, we won’t end up with Trump, and a bunch of people won’t have to die.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think I've been clear that my position is that the Podesta hack alone (coupled with the use of the information so obtained to attempt to interfere with the election) is enough by itself that Russian interference with the election may be accurately characterized as an "act of war." The rest is just gravy.

Just to take an alternative line of argument from the semantic debate above, since that line seems played out, If you look at the historical record, about a zillion wars have started for much more trivial reasons than interference with an election. See, e.g.,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jenkins%27_Ear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

World War One started because a random nutjob private citizen shot a hereditary monarch, it wasn't even sparked by state action. America joined WW1 because Germany sent Mexico a telegram. "Act of War" if by that we mean "action after which war is the response", is not exactly a high standard to meet. IIn that sense, it's descriptive, not prescriptive.

The only difference between this incident and any of those others is that we're in a post-nuclear world so the consequences of calling something an "Act of War" are far more dangerous. That just changes the stakes, though. It doesn't make the description inaccurate, it just makes it inadvisable.. Said another way, "They're not wrong."

Yeah I get all my news from here so I miss larger "media narratives." If you're telling me that centrists are using all this to create a smokescreen in favor of more bullshit centrism, that doesn't surprise me at all.

yes

Wait you just called out “whataboutism” earlier today when people were pointing to all the ways the US has interfered in elections. And now you’re what-abouting a bunch of heinous wars started for flimsy reasons. Why are you so gung ho to start a war?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now post the CNN investigative video where they ask democratic operatives why the party refuses to run a progressive message.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

lol no. I would bet almost anything short of my actual life that jack poo poo is going to change at any point in the foreseeable future (unless you count some relatively minor gun control legislation that doesn't go nearly far enough to address the problem).

If the only thing generation Z brings to the table is a sense of urgency and activism, then those of us who are older should do everything we can to nurture that instinct.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anything to avoid talking about issues that matter, I guess.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

donating to federal employees who've been fired by trump for attempting to bring him to justice and donating to the republicans who are attempting to shield Trump from their investigations is exactly the same you are a very smart person

You’re a dumb dumb.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Exactly no one has been able to produce a coherent response to "we should signal to other federal employees that we'll support them if they're fired because they were defying Trump", and I very much doubt anyone will in the future.

Witness the hapless centrist, his poor addled brain so thoroughly damaged, so utterly clueless that the entirety of his remaining animating life force can function only at extremes of a binary choice of his own creation. For this terminal patient, there is nothing beyond the basest of “or” statements: either give money to a disgraced fascist (“signal,” in the words of a lunatic) or one is the fascist. Modern science is yet to explain how one’s field of vision could be so narrow, but clinicians believe it is related to extreme online exposure and monk-like rejection of sunlight.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Imagine being so deep in the useful idiot rabbit hole you think Mueller is a disgraced fascist.

Again he shambles from topic to topic by binary comparison, his diseased frontal cortex on the verge of complete collapse. The patient’s worldview is almost entirely static at this point, its only change is to shrink toward nothingness. In this case, his entire construction of Mueller as an entity in the world is defined by its fictional, imagined relationship to its alternative. His few remaining, overtaxed neurons cannot possibly conceive of a history of a Robert Mueller prior to 2017. His actions in the chain of events that led to present circumstances rejected as utterly irrelevant. It’s here that observers glimpse the insanity of late-stage centrism: unable to function in a complex and dynamic world, they retreat inward, to a place of their own construction, where every choice is drawn so narrowly as to be entirely meaningless. Nonetheless, they fight bitterly for their perceived cause. The alternative — accepting change and embracing the hard work of adaptation — is far beyond their brittle mental faculties.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm suggesting that we support federal employees fired by trump, regardless of their income, wealth, or political affiliation (except nazis). The criticism is "oh it's real dumb to give money to rich republicans, we need to means test our support for these people so it only goes to the poor"

If we go back a few days in this thread, you can find exactly the same posters railing against medicare extra because it's means tested and therefore won't give benefits to everyone, which, according to them, is a fundamental flaw with the program which will doom it politically.

These two positions seem contradictory. If means testing causes middle class and rich people to not believe in welfare programs, why wouldn't means testing cause middle class and rich government employees to not believe in legal defense funds for federal employees fired by Trump? If giving money to rich republicans is a terrible unconscionable thing, why insist that be a feature of our welfare system?

I'm sure someone will explain the important differences here rather than making GBS threads out more stale one liners.

I go back to my original diagnosis, which is that you're really dumb.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Except not means testing welfare programs means you give charity to rich and famous ex-feds, you're just willing to put up with that to address contemporary political reality. Exactly the same thing is true of creating a legal defense fund for federal employees who get fired for opposing Trump.

This is what centrists actually believe.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Bernie but the Internet’s inability to stop constantly arguing about him suggests we’re still stuck in the trap that the presidency is all that matters.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

The platform of the party matters, and his is the best one

Wouldn’t it be healthier to define the platform independent of the person?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

joepinetree posted:

The attacks on Bernie aren't because of the person of Bernie. They are because the democratic establishment in nominally for a number of leftwing proposals while at the same time making sure that they never pass. So they can't say "we're against M4A and free college" because they'd lose a massive chunk of their constituents, so they have to be all "we are all for X, but [left wing person] is too problematic to support."

And this is obvious if you realize that what they are doing to Bernie is what they are doing to every other leftist candidate. The amount of harassment and attacks that Nina Turner has received is the type of stuff that would be universally reviled if it wasn't the dem. establishment doing it. They blocked her entrance to the DNC, created an entire twitter handle to mock her, and systematically try to get her removed from any media, openly calling for tv channels to uninvited her.

If you want to talk about all the ways that Bernie's campaign was problematic or where Bernie is the compromise candidate, fine. But I also am good enough at pattern recognition to realize that when the same people who keep calling Bernie racist keep using his picture to promote their "medicare for anyone" that the issue isn't Bernie, but Bernie's platform.

I suppose I could see that, but if that’s the case, how do you know when to disengage and tell them to gently caress off? I ask because this poo poo goes on and on for pages and tends to drown out everything else.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn I love how the Democrats can suck any morsel of hope out of politics.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I get that. Let's hope that isn't what happens. If it becomes a distraction or a drain on resources then i would agree. Also the discovery process is not without risk. if some additional corruption of the DNC is exposed via this process it will not be surprising.

Ken popehat feels the lawsuit is pretty terrible.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/987706259657785344?s=19

He's likely not incorrect.

It’s a backward looking waste of resources that is useless even in its most optimistic outcome, in that absolutely nothing will come to light that will “bring down Trump,” and any paltry settlement could easily be offset by standing for something instead of whining about losing. In the expected case, where the party is nothing but a hollow grift, it is a sign that the party straight up doesn’t give a gently caress that its electoral strategy has cost it a thousand seats at all levels of government. Instead of doing something, it’ll just keep rearranging those deck chairs as we all sink into facism. gently caress these assholes and their stupid, dithering stunts.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

exploded mummy posted:

she never did any of this

one of the earliest and biggest proponents of the CFPB has apparently never fought fought for people in this country

Yeah that CFPB has really reined in the finance sector alright.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

“I have things to do. Books to write, places to go, grandchildren, first and foremost, to love.”

When one of the most powerful Democrats in the country cares deeply about climate change, children in cages, police brutality, and impending economic collapse. Old age can’t claim her soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrNutt posted:

Come 2020 I'll vote for a loving ham sandwich to get Trump out of office, but until then I'll keep on keepin' on and work as hard as I can to make sure someone like Avenatti isn't the ham sandwich.

They’re all ham sandwiches, OP.

• Locked thread