Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stereotype posted:

So is it legal to discriminate against people because of their politics? I think blue America should secede from red America and their Trump cult.
Seceding is definitely illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Gort posted:

I remember reading something on how much crime is committed with pistols as they're perfect for criminals due to being small and concealable. Meanwhile rifles have the issue of high rate of fire, range and penetration meaning stray rounds kill people rooms away through lovely drywall.

Would it be accurate to say that pump-action shotguns have the fewest drawbacks (EG: Crime, use for a mass-murderer) for legal use of the firearms available to the American civilian?

Modern milItary-type rifles in the 5-6mm caliber (AR's, AK-74s, etc) actually have fewer issues with over penetration in a self defense context. High velocity, lightweight spitzer bullets tend to tumble and fragment after hitting anything. Which saps a lot of their KE and results in poor aerodynamics. Heavier, slower handgun bullets tend to just make a hole and keep on truckin' and no reasonable amount of drywall is going to stop buckshot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A deer might have three hundred or so dollars' worth of meat on it, all told. Kill three or four deer you might have a year's supply of organic, grass-fed, etc. meat.

Then, If you live in the middle of nowheresville and you've been going hunting for thirty years you already have all the infrastructure and training in place, so the additional costs are minimal, but the store is a gas station an hour's drive away that mostly just sells pre-processed prepackaged gunk.
No I don't think you understand. Poor people need to move to where I live and only eat rice because ~*fartz*~

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

captainblastum posted:

Yes, this is precisely my argument and not an idiotic strawman.
Why doesn't the scum just Uber to the Whole Foods? I don't understand.

No your argument, if you can call simply vomiting bourgeois ignorance into the internet an argument, was "I know absolutely nothing about hunting but let me tell you about hunting. "

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I miss the Democrats thread.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

that post / name combo though, holy poo poo
idgi

Also don't understand duck hunting. Duck isn't that good and chickens are way easier to shoot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

It's really important that gun violence, which is 14 times more likely to kill black men than white men, continue unabated so I can play at revolution out in the woods.
We're at the part now where JeffersonClay attempts a face turn by feigning empathy but is foiled when his lanyard snags on the turnbuckle and Dead Reckoning hits him with a steel chair while disingenuously arguing for steel chair regulation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Moatman posted:

Christ that was a long post. Took a half hour to write.
That's akin to a mental disorder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Moatman posted:

I was really bored waiting for my class to start and have had all those feelings stewing around in my head since the shooting happened.
You should cultivate a healthier coping mechanism, like alcoholism or public masturbation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

The lesson is that nobody should have any rights whatsoever because otherwise emotionally stunted assholes will cling to them to defend their choice to be a drag on society.
ITT a guy angryposting in a USPOL thread all morning on a workday calls people drags on society

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

It's really too bad the Democrats are going to agree to this and call it a victory.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ugato posted:

I'm curious if you have this somewhere just to c/p in or you actually typed all of it out again
You could c/p this entire debate from 1994.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I think the most practical path is probably to start requiring licenses for any public transport of a firearm, with background checks and screenings and training and renewal requirements.

There are too many guns out there for anything else to be practical, but the more they're just a drat nuisance, the fewer and fewer people will bother.
So treat DC v. Heller like the right treats Roe v. Wade ?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I would love to see the tortured interpretation of the Commerce Clause that would made that legal.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Well, maybe then guns should be at least as regulated as cars. Because currently they are much less regulated.
You're wrong.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

How so? Are guns taxed, registered, and insured?
What OAL is a felony for your car? How many American parts does it require to be kegal? How many law enforcement agencies did the dealer call before he could legally sell it to you? How long did it take to get a tax stamp for the muffler?

Car/Gun analogies are stupid. Firearms in the US may not be as regulated as you'd like but they are heavily regulated and penalties for loving up tend to be harsh.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

It's 100% legal for me to go to a car show and buy a municipal bus and start working routes.

My illegal food truck business is booming as well. We are food grade "X".

Illegal food trucks are the best kind.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

The best part about gun chat is the outliers who'd normally be posting about guillotines and siezing the means of production who suddenly become deeply concerned with constitutional rights, legal precedent and the efficacy of government regulation.
I feel like someone must have beaten you with a copy of God and the State when you were young.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Tropical Storm Nate is on a direct course for New Orleans right now and will likely become a hurricane within the next few days. Most predictions have it staying pretty weak but, well, they said much the same thing about Maria...
Louisiana is slightly more functional than Puerto Rico, and borders states that are actually functional (not Mississippi) so they will probably do alright.

JeffersonClay posted:

Not at all, anarchism was totally my jam when I was fourteen.
Young JeffersonClay was so cool. What happened to him?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tarantula posted:

But I don't even see gun control advocates bring it up
It's been brought up like 10 times in the last 3 pages.

The answer to your question is that as far as US constitutional law is concerned it either means nothing at all or that we can't have sawed-off shotguns. Depending on how the court is feeling on any given day.

Further proof that Vermont is the best.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Rigel posted:

3rd amendment is not really confusing, though. Its useless, but we're not confused about its meaning.
IIRC the 3rd has one SCOTUS case ever.

The 10th is the real joke one. It's totally meaningless.

Edit: I was wrong, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Engblom v. Carey.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

If you want to get really confused try to work out how you reconcile the ruling in United States v. Miller with the ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller when laws based on both are still in effect and being upheld in federal courts.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

shut up about posters and do the politics posts. if out of some weird masochism dr posts in the thunderdome you can rake him over the coals there
The Thunderdome thread is actually better than this one right now. Please do not encourage the two worst posters in D&D to post in it tia.

I just checked Twitter for the first time in months and discovered that the NASCAR drivers I follow are significantly to the left of the Democrats I follow. Im loving confused.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm absolutely 100% on board with the hypothetical proposition "there are gun control measures that have an unacceptable cost benefit ratio despite saving nonzero lives". But then, I HAVE been an economist for around a decade. :v: Even did some safety cost benefit work! Number of lives saved per dollar, looking for innovations to recommend and ranking stuff.

For those playing along at home, I don't recall any states offhand willing to spend more than twelve million bucks per life saved, and the standard is usually more like six million or less? Relatedly this is why Trump's dumb budget plan to cut the Chemical Safety Board makes me mad, because if they save, like, one life a decade and have no other benefit whatsoever, they're a pretty good deal.

Being the CSB has got to be depressing. Their job is to make obvious recommendations to companies that are just waiting for their US facilities to explode so they can collect the insurance and move to China.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

i would wager that there are a poo poo ton of sex offenders among the rich and powerful
There are a poo poo ton of sex offenders in general. The rich just get away with it more because of the massive power disparity money creates.

Also Keith Ellison is dreamy but I'm still probably going to vote for Dale Jr again in 2020.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Old James posted:

Condiv, just because Obama spent time around Hollywood celebrities does not mean he had any knowledge of what Harvey Weinstein was up to.

Who would tell him? Obama is a busy guy
I too am often too busy to wonder if the guy masturbating into a ficus might not be a good person to hang out with.

Its too bad America doesn't have an entire federal agency dedicated to making sure nobody weird gets near the President. A service of some kind...

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 11, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Old James posted:

If you met Brad Pitt would you talk about your favorite movies he starred in, or would you tell him about how your Boy Scout leader made you share his sleeping bag?
I'd sexually assault him and then wait for you to rush to my defense.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

He sortof does, presuming he has no direct knowledge. It's the same reason that newspapers will refer to criminals as "the alleged criminal" even though the criminal is on tape committing the crime, a la the '"Who can believe it? Me, David Garvin, stealin' TV's?" bit from Role Models. Stating it that way avoids opening yourself up to a theoretical later slander lawsuit (i.e., Weinstein is charged, the jury does not convict, he sues for slander). It also at least theoretically helps avoid, as much as possible, potential complications if Weinstein is ever charged with a crime and then argues that potential jurors are tainted because Obama said all those hurtful lies etc.

Both of those are relatively negligible issues admittedly but once you've gotten into the mindset and habit of that kind of phrasing -- and lawyers generally have -- you keep using it out of habit. This is especially true if the statements were written by spokespeople or spokeslawyers.
Neither Obama nor Clinton had any such issues with calling Trump out on being a rapist shitbag (after he stopped giving then money).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Hello, I am a black identity extremist.

In short: gently caress the FBI, and gently caress white fragility.

Do I have to be black to join the extremism?

I mean I don't really have an opinion on black identity I just want to set a dumpster on fire because I'm sad and because I am definitely white enough to get away with it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

DrHammond posted:

What in tarnation is an "opinion on black identity"?
I don't know but I suspect white people who have one probably identified with the wrong characters in Hogan's Heroes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm visiting Florida for work and all I can say is gently caress this place I hope it drowns. Sorry Florigoons, take one for the team.
gently caress you! You can't drown us our air is already basically water. While the global warming super-storms devastate the rest of the country we will be barbecuing and bullshitting about how it's nothing compared to Irma/Ivan/Andrew.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you use the post office?
No one likes the post office.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

You're conservative/not leftist, aren't you?
No. I'm a filthy lefty but that doesn't make the post office fun.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

You're white, aren't you?
ITT the only non-racist vote is a vote for a slave owner.

I'll vote for a Democrat when they put someone who isn't a despicable human on the ballot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

You have to vote for them in the democratic primary for that to happen.
I do and I'm praying we manage to primary noted geriatric shitbird Bill Nalson but consisting the current state of the FL Dems im not optimistic.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

persuadable voters
Is this the new term for the mythical "Moderate Republican" the DNC has spent the last 30 years trying to find?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Pelosi is a geriatric millionaire from one of the worst cities in America for income inequality. The fact that "competent politician" is the best anyone can come up with in her favor is in itself damning.

No one over 65 should even be allowed to vote let alone serve in congress.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Being able to effectively crush local primary opponents doesn't make you a good representative. If we wish to define the job of pokiticians as "stay in power forever" then both Pelosi and McConnell are excrement at their jobs and Strom Thurmond was basically Superman.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like no loving poo poo.

I don't particularly like Pelosi but she is objectively very loving good at her job of whipping House votes and that is valuable as all hell.
She is good at keepiing all the cats in the herd going in the same direction. Too bad it's a poo poo direction.

Boon posted:

Good job indeed.
Thanks.

I mean really thank god you're here to defend them or how would old rich white people ever get their voices heard in America?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Why do you oppose the Public Option and regulating carbon emissions?
I forgot we had those things.

• Locked thread