Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

gently caress I forgot to buy everyone gifts

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

what do you usually get your loved ones on 9/11

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
a 767 right in their fuckin face

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

Osama is laughing at us all

The fact that OBL is crab food on the bottom of the Arabian Sea is one of the few good things to come out of the GWoT.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

The fact that OBL is crab food on the bottom of the Arabian Sea is one of the few good things to come out of the GWoT.

this is how you get a bag full of jet fuel for 9/11

don't be like this guy!!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
tanks lexy bby !

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

happy 9/11! lets make it a great one (as if every 9/11 isnt great ^_^)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Kind of tempted to post one of the videos in my family's group text

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
ayy gurl are u jet fuel cuz u melted my steel beam

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just finished my 9/11 baking, todsy is going to be great!!!!!!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
love to get in some of those sweet 9/11 sales

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
nine a-lovin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the real 9/11 Truth is that the emergency services did it so no one would ever forget 911

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/b_ofrights/status/907231418153136128

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al! posted:

just finished my 9/11 baking, todsy is going to be great!!!!!!

tell me, what do you make for the Moment of Remembrance??

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Weeping Wound posted:

tell me, what do you make for the Moment of Remembrance??

chili, ironically

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

It's important to take a moment and remember what we've lost

Specifically, my local Costco is doing a facility upgrade, so there are no more rotisserie chickens available from 9/11 until like mid-October

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress yeah inject this poo poo into my veins

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LGD posted:

It's important to take a moment and remember what we've lost

Specifically, my local Costco is doing a facility upgrade, so there are no more rotisserie chickens available from 9/11 until like mid-October

please tell me it's not the clackamas costco :qq:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Weeping Wound posted:

I forgot to put up the 9/11 decorations :(

it's like Christmas but I get to take down two things in my living room at the end of the day

, and then burn down a third while claiming it came down on its own

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-subway-promotion-to-honor-subtember-11-33768

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what did the hulkster know?!?!?!?!?!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I tried but could not get the great taste of spaghettios with hot dog slices out of my head for long enough :smith:

Thinkin bout dem os.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

We need an emote that's basically the opposite of :allbuttons:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The police and firefighters at the WTC were all crisis actors that weren't told about the controlled demolition. No first responders died that day LOOK IT UP!!!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I'm having a fairly traditional New York City 9/11.

Today before work I looked at the "Freedom Tower" and thought about how I had never heard anyone not on TV or over the age of 10 call it that.

By the way, I am a 3rd grade teacher and the kids don't even know what the gently caress a 9/11 is. It's my 6th year doing this job and it's the first year we haven't done the "what does 9/11 mean to you" serious safe space talk.

That's what I clicked on the thread for

I remember the first time I saw it on BYOB in like 2006

that's when 9/11 became real for me

MariusLecter posted:

Osama is laughing at us all

Osama sees how hosed up America got over the last 16 years and wishes he could have dialed it back a bit, death makes you mellow like that I guess

One last thing, look out motorists! 9/11 is now 16 and ON THE ROAD!

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Sep 11, 2017

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
i celebrate 9/11 by watching the star wars special editions

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Day Nothing Changed

It’s 9/11 again – and almost nobody is commemorating the anniversary. It didn’t even occur to me to use my print column space for the purpose, given all the ongoing current horrors. But since I have a bit of time before my 14-hour flight, I thought I’d take a few minutes to talk about what was supposed to happen after 9/11, but didn’t.

In the weeks and months after the atrocity, news media had a narrative about what it meant – basically, that it was a Pearl Harbor moment that brought America together with a new seriousness and resolve. This was comforting and reassuring. It was also totally false, literally from the first minutes.

The truth, as we now know, is that Bush administration officials rejoiced, even as the fires were still burning, at the opportunity they now had to fight the unrelated war they always wanted. But that wasn’t all: Republicans in Congress also saw opportunity for partisan gain from the start. Within less than two days Congressional staffers were telling me about GOP efforts to exploit the atrocity to ram through a cut in capital gains taxes.

The thing was, people just didn’t want to hear about this reality. When I wrote a column relaying what was happening in Congress, I was flooded with angry mail from readers – readers angry not at Republicans for exploiting the event, but at me for reporting it. “How can I tell that to my young son?” wrote one furious correspondent.

It took years for people to accept the shameful truth. And it took even longer for the news media: a plurality of voters had concluded that the Iraq war was sold with lies long before it was considered acceptable to say this in polite company.

Why didn’t 9/11 change anything? Partly because unlike Pearl Harbor, terrorism wasn’t and isn’t an existential threat. Yes, it’s scary; but you had to be an idiot to think that there was any risk of an Islamic takeover of the West. This meant that domestic political villains felt free both to continue their villainy and to treat terror just as another thing to exploit.

Beyond that, by 2001 we were already deep into extreme polarization driven by the radicalization of the GOP. (No, it’s not “both sides.”) Anyone who says that Trump has made the Republican Party unrecognizable has forgotten about Tom DeLay.

In fact, you have to wonder what the response to Pearl Harbor would have been if the GOP of 1941 had been what it was in 2001. I suspect Republicans would have declared that it was FDR’s fault and opposed government borrowing to pay for World War II, not to mention price controls and rationing.

In any case, at this point we can see that 9/11’s place in the American story ended up being almost the opposite of Pearl Harbor’s. The first day of infamy brought the country together and showed our fundamental strength. The second tore us further apart, and highlighted our political decay.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Al! posted:

please tell me it's not the clackamas costco :qq:

Nah, Tigard, so you should be good