Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Lots of fancy concept art here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

who\s gonna get a series3 non cellular when u can just get a series 1 still llol

If you want GPS and Swimproof you would still go for the S3 without cellular.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Unless they do something really innovative here, the Apple TV refresh should have just been something that showed up on the store some day. Pretty much every other streaming box is offering 4K and HDR at this point.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

i'm going to watch traffic videos on my new apple tv 4k hdr

Those videos are quite mesmerizing. The one with a flyover of LAX is also great.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow, automatically updating your existing library to 4K is pretty huge.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress have they not gotten the Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV ready yet?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Super Mario Run 2, here we go guys.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

Wait, True Tone has only been on iPads all this time?

By all this time, you mean about 18 months and yes. This display will be noticeably better for reading.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DJT has a tweet for everything.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

the iPhone 8 is such a disappointment that no one in my office will suddenly start complaining they need a new phone, so that's a plus

I will go for the 8+ because I have a 16GB 6S (worst mistake ever) and can't justify spending $1,100 for an X with 256 gb of storage.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No price on the 256GB?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is anyone actually going to pre-order the 8

I am.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's all remember that Windows also skipped 9.

RIP the number 9.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

There is an $8 difference between the 8+ and X if you finance the phone through your carrier, and $10 difference through the Apple Upgrade Program. If those amounts are significant to you, you probably shouldn't be in the market for the latest iPhone in the first place.

One of those phones you can buy in ten days. The other you may be lucky to get by Christmas.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I've never had any problem reselling my iPhone for at least 60% of original value

Buy an 8 and use it while the early adopters buy the X and Apple smooths out the inevitable issues with it

Exactly, I will happily buy an 8+ next week on a 12 month upgrade plan. Then if the next years model had TouchID and the other stuff I like I will upgrade again.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The hardware of the phone costs probably like 70 bucks. It's really stunning that they think enough people will pay the grand.

If you have a 7 or 7+ with anything other than 32GB you are pretty much at a grand anyways. It's not unreasonable for them to think that people will shell out a grand for the new hotness and first re-design in 4 years.

There's also the rumors that Apple cannot produce anywhere near enough of these things to satisfy demand. Hence the November release date. Rumor has it they are making about 10,000 units per day. Even if the phone only launches in Western markets on 11/3, it will be very hard to come by with those quantities.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

I thought you guys (Americans) moved away from contracts? Instead they just put you on a payment plan for the phone? The cost of breaking the 'contract' is exactly what you still owe on the phone? And they use the MSRP so they don't charge interest? Making it effectively a 0% loan? It's more or less what we do in Canada now too, I was pretty sure the US was doing the same thing. It still lets them lock people in to expensive phones over time, it's just a lot more explicit now ... and once you've paid off the phone, you don't have to pay the higher monthly fee.

But anyhow, try paying for cell phone service in Canada if you think the US is expensive! ;-)

Most carriers have moved away from that. They just replaced it with the payment plans and now it's a bit more transparent how much of each bill is going towards the hardware and how much is going towards the service.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

Also I definitely paid $700 for the very first iPhone, which wasn't subsidized

I got this one in August of 2007 when the price dropped to $399. Was still a remarkable device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So iOS 10's big push was to put more information/functionality on the lock screen. If you wanted to drill down into something then you could 3D touch it and then Touch ID to unlock and it would bring you right there.

How does this work with Face ID? So now you could have a number of notifications on the lock screen, and just the act of looking at it unlocks the phone and brings you to the home screen. What if you just want to glance at he phone to read a couple texts?

• Locked thread