Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As a cellphone junkie since I got a Nokia 6110 back in the day, the 6+ is my longest serving phone, and I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade this year were it not for the redesigned iPhone X.

I've been wanting to replace my Fitbit with an Apple Watch, but I'll hold off until the battery life is doubled. I forget to charge my Fitbit all the time, and the ability to last a second day without charging is critical. I'd have also been more interested in a 4K Apple TV a year ago, but since then I have upgraded my TV, and my old Apple TV is just collecting dust. I have no need for a 4K Apple TV unless a ton of 4K content becomes available on something other than Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

I'll be refreshing the website non-stop at 3AM on Friday to get an iPhone X, but if inventory is as constrained as rumored to be, and shipping dates slip into December/January, I might just wait for next year's model and keep my upgrade cycles somewhat in sync with product releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Khablam posted:

Steps you take pootling about your apartment don't actually count. In any situation worth step-counting you're going to have your phone on you. It's built in gps-assisted counter is really good.

You don't need a watch unless you really want one for whatever reason.

I don't need a watch. If anything, I often have weeks where I forget to charge my Fitbit, and go without it, but psychologically, it provides more motivation to walk 20 blocks over taking the train. I used to use the step tracker on the phone before I got a Fitbit, but I feel the need to justify wearing a step tracker, and end up walking a lot more when I wear it. I also find having a smart watch helps for little things like checking the time or a text message, because I'll take a quick glance and get back to whatever I was doing, whereas when I take out my phone, I'll scroll through all of my news notifications, catch up on my different Whatsapp groups, and end up wasting time.

Sure I could get over this with a little more discipline, but a technological solution is just so much easier. If the Apple Watch could last 2 full days, I'm sold.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I've been to almost every Apple store in NYC and the DC metro area, and never seen any of these things in their store.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Seriously. Apple always gives a loving clinic on how to build a proper presentation. NOTE THE LACK OF BULLET POINTS. Don't make slides full of words and read them, ffs.

It's maybe the thing I've learned most for Apple. gently caress PowerPoint templates.

It's the first thing you learn that at every business school.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Someone should tell that lady that exercising immediately before bed leads to poor sleep quality.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Gymkit seems useless. I haven't seen a gym that has switched over to lightning connectors on the machines, let alone some new tech for Apple Watch.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Without a better battery, this is underwhelming.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Apple TV 4K is a little late. If you didn't buy one of those $500 4K TVs, your TV probably already has 4K capable Netflix/Amazon/Hulu built in.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm probably missing something fundamental, but why do I want an Apple TV if I have a PS4 that already has Netflix and Amazon etc apps?

If you have a TV that has 4K + HDR, you wouldn't even need the PS4.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Vegetable posted:

4k live sports would be pretty crazy, is that what they're offering though? can't figure it out

What is crazy that this sports obsessed nation still doesn't have 4K sports, when countries in Europe have been doing it for years.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Khablam posted:

This segment is a really nice ad about why you'd be better with any given console than an Apple TV.

I don't know why Apple do these half-baked gaming displays. Forget about gaming until you are ready to commit to it fully, and bundle in a controller.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

WAIT WAIT I STILL SAW A HOME BUTTON

Isn't the 8 separate to the X?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It won’t be.

Supposed to be. A base model 5.5in iPhone is what? 750? The X is rumored to be "only" 999.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
AR seems incredibly awkward to use for long periods of time. It's a gimmick that is going to end up like 3D until we get AR glasses.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

ManSedan posted:

That baseball thing was pretty dope.

Going to the game just to watch the game through your phone seems dumb.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Apple including wireless charging without selling their own wireless charger...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
If you get through to the Apple Store 3:00:01 EST on Friday you will get a January 2018 ship date for the iPhone X.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Why does the iPhone 8 even exist?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm sold. iPhone ple8 arrived stillborn.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
So an identical twin can unlock their siblings phone?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This may be easy, but it's not as easy as it was with the home button. I'm still getting the X over the 8.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Rick posted:

drat bleeding into November.

And that is just for people who get through to the site in the first millisecond.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

The X is AT&T Exclusive in the US

It's available with every major carrier.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
There is an $8 difference between the 8+ and X if you finance the phone through your carrier, and $10 difference through the Apple Upgrade Program. If those amounts are significant to you, you probably shouldn't be in the market for the latest iPhone in the first place.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Me. It is the exact same device as the iPhone X, except without the unnecessary extra few millimeters of screen space on the top and bottom, the dumb unnecessary FaceID system (complete with ANIMOJIS!!!), and it uses an Arabic numeral instead of a Roman one in its name.

Obviously I'm loving around but it doesn't look like there will be absolutely any difference performance-wise between the X and 8, and very few differences feature and design-wise. I'm actually rather shocked.

It's clear Apple were really pushing things just to get it out this fall, let alone release it with substantive upgrades from the 8. Next year's version will likely be highly polished, and be a huge upgrade in terms of ease of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

mattfl posted:

I think this line gets said at every single Apple product launch

Apple product version 1 is always rough around the edges.

• Locked thread