Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Binary Badger posted:

STILL ONLY 12 MEGAPIXELS on the X

And?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Well with the upgrade from the 7s it's only 80 in tax or whatever and an additional 10 or something a month maybe

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

logikv9 posted:

do you want an iphone X or one of the lowest-tiers macbook? because they're basically the same price

Yea but you use one about 100x more often and for more things

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

My upgrade contract with Verizon explicitly states I can upgrade from my current phone to any new model after one year. All of the difference in cost to Verizon will simply go to higher monthly payments anyway so it's not a matter of "letting you do something" because you're going to pay more

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sphyre posted:

who on earth is going to buy the iphone 8?

Between 8 and X about 80 million people

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

eriddy posted:

What's the use case for a Apple Watch with LTE? When do you have a watch and not your phone? Not hating, just curious.

Your kid can play with your phone and you can go do something else and take calls, pay for poo poo etc from your watch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

Apple product version 1 is always rough around the edges.

The first Apple Watch was great, subsequent patches made it faster but it was great out of the box. Airpods are great too.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 12, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

Once TouchID works under the glass they will probably just be like "Hey we heard you all missed TouchID and hated the slow FaceID, so we brought it back!"

"Faceid" already works good on some laptops like the Spectre. If it's better than several current laptops then it'll be really good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I find it funny that they skipped 7S to try to mask the fact that 7 was just 6SS and 8 is 6SSS. Literally four years of incremental improvements (sometimes even regressions!) on the same design in a market that has changed rapidly around them. It's a drat shame they've been rewarded for their blatant coasting this whole time. Granted the software is usually a lot better than android but still, this feels like a day late and a dollar short.

Has it been evolving rapidly? How so?

Some phones have like VR and other poo poo that no one cares about or uses?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 12, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So a very few phones are bezel free now. A very few phones have oled screens. A very few have other features the Samsung high end model and iPhone have. The pixel is further behind. So the industry is basically one phone versus another phone with a few cheaper ones with massive trade offs. What was revolutionary about the new s8? Seems like we're well past the revolutionary phase of the industry and firmly sit in the incremental period.

Is it worth noting that rushing unreliable features to market doesn't get you bonus points for being first ("waterproofing")

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 12, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I can appreciate your impassioned defense of stagnation in consumer electronics. On the other hand, 999 US Dollars for a phone that does not innovate, has a number of troubling compromises, and does not compare well with a cheaper flagship that came out 5 months ago is not a very compelling proposition to me.

Doesn't compare well? Well that's like your opinion. Maybe you need every model year phone to be hugely better than it's competitor but that's not a healthy way to look at electronics. For me I choose based on a number of factors, one of which is the phone that literally laps its opponent in speed tests multiple times

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How well does it work ?

Im not concerned about Face ID not working or recognizing my face

Im worried that we're gonna have to do exaggerated motions to unlock it like Craig did on the keynote, instead of calmly putting my finger on the home button while I'm not even looking at the device

I have it on a Spectre laptop and it works great. You open it and boom it recognizes you nearly instantly.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's not like touch ID was perfect. Your skin had to make contact, so cold weather climates with gloves were a nuisance situation. Wet fingers sometimes cause problems. You still find yourself entering codes in many situations rather than using touchID. Yea, it's cool, but it's not so incredibly amazing that moving away from it is a bad thing per se.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Ummm pretty much everything you just said can also be said about touchscreen technology.

Yes even the best technology is imperfect, so one day when we have brain implants to activate functions on our phone we can move past the touch part entirely

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Coverage and speeds etc. also still varies across Korea and Japan despite being smaller and more invested in being connected. Tokyo, Kyoto, Busan and Seoul often dominate the conversation on these matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I mean the pricing was entirely expected to me. We're at or near capacity for OLED production. Apple is always expected to sell between 80-100 million phones in a given period of time. There is no way they could produce these screens for every single phone so they tiered it. They offered it at a luxury model for die hards, probably 20 million or so will sell and the screens will trickle down as they get production under control. We've seen this before with other products from other companies.

• Locked thread