Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

the only thing that surprises me about this is that someone actually heard a unisys commercial somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

As someone turning 30 next year, this is the most terrifying halloween-related thing I've ever seen

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

i've never even heard of this before today but I listened to the new episode of My Brother, My Brother, and Me on the way to work this morning so now I've heard it twice in the last 45 minutes

tim curry is rad as hell

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
i get that it's the toppings that are nasty but i'm equally grossed out by the amount of tectonic drift that the toppings have undergone

it looks like it was delivered at mach 3 or something

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Schadenboner posted:

Smoking in front of my PC then having to open it up to put in more ram is both what got me into IT and got me to quit smoking.

one of the worst days at my old job was when the local cigar shop brought in their failing PoS pc. it had been running 24/7/365 for years in a shop where multiple people were constantly smoking cigars.

heavy, sticky, bright-orange dust that was inches thick on nearly every surface. it was horrifying.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0HYKa9LHI

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just tell everyone I'm rodtronics and i made the gifs

Hi there, my name is Rod Tronics. These are my gifs.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
ISPs won't change anything directly affecting users because they're all publicly-traded companies, and the PR blowback would inevitably cost them money/investors (at least in the short-term). they'll go for the "paid-prioritization" route that they're already saying they want to do using QoS rules that companies can pay for to get an edge. Netflix pays for prioritization, for example, so during the 7-10pm window of time where something like 75% of all consumer internet traffic in the US is web streaming, Netflix gets an edge over their competitors like Hulu, which will potentially load slower and seem like a shittier service unless they pay for prioritization as well.

of course, then netflix and hulu and etc. will charge the end-users more to make up for the cost of prioritization. consumers pay for it in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

MSPain posted:

Really, it's extortion. It's the same business model as a highwayman.

this is 100% true, though I think a more accurate metaphor is paying protection to the mob

• Locked thread