Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cool poo poo guys tell us more about your driving school experiences, eagerly looking forward to future updates!

be sure to post your sick gaming pc specs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

RULES OF NATURE

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

it's a shame minidiscs never caught on as computer storage media because they were cyberpunk as gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
be nice if this meme died for our sins imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

dril

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm the safety critical gaming console

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Things like that just make me feel old. I remember having a PC with through-hole chips and a passively cooled CPU. We've moved on a long way since the days when hobbyists could design and build their own computer system by wire wrapping chips or whatever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah apple and their like, much like the boomers that founded them, have done a great job of pulling the ladder up behind them, even if we discount the drastically higher baseline of technological sophistication these days.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
On the one hand yes, but on the other hand we've had Enough Computer for about 10 years now, and the thing about technological progress is that it monotonically trends upwards. It will never be harder to make software and hardware than it is today, and the same is true of tomorrow and the day after. Now, open hardware is an exciting world that has barely been explored, but it has significant capital requirements that aren't going to be fulfilled easily due to the lack of a sufficiently lucrative business model behind it.

A Core 2 Duo with 8GB of RAM from like 2007 is Enough Computer for most tasks these days. Bullshit bloated code can bring even the most powerful systems to their knees, but it's really not a herculean undertaking to write programs that get things done on 10 year old hardware. Back in the early 90s, yes, Microsoft was legitimately a technological power house because of their institutional skills in making really lovely hardware do the sorts of things we now think of as ordinary computing tasks. This was a big deal on the hardware platforms we had back then.

What I'd like to see is more open and more readily available hardware of mid-2000s caliber. For example, a production-strength RISC-V application SoC with fully open HDL, manufactured on gross disgusting obsolete processes like *shudder* 100nm or whatever, but manufactured by many different manufacturers in many different countries. And without a loving NSA back door in the chip itself that has a direct hardware connection to the NIC for what I'm sure are totally benign reasons.

Maybe some day, many decades from now, there will be a similarly open HDL 4G baseband chip, running open source firmware that can be deterministically compiled to a particular binary. Approved builds would be digitally signed by the FCC or other such body and production chips would be fused with a regulatory body's public key, so you can't hack up the software radio to have it interfere with other licensed radio traffic, but you could at least trace the provenance of the approved binary running on your cellular baseband and be reasonably assured that it isn't doing anything terribly nefarious.

(yes I know hard IP blocks are a rather large and hairy fly in this particular ointment, particularly for mixed-signal stuff like an SDR baseband)

Source: Sapozhnik, The Something Awful Forums.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I turn 35 next month and I've been thinking of a tattoo

I'm not a polite member of society so I can get whatever I want wherever I want

get a 6 tattooed on your skin somewhere every time you eat a 6 for anime

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZahHXPPe_c

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you ever have one of those days when all the threads you are reading start leaking into each other

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
full head shaving crew checking in

pattern baldness a gently caress, though i was legitimately concerned people might think i was down with the 1488 crew for the first few years.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
enjoy your salmonella

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

NeXT ended like all steve jobs adventures

new die hard lookin wack

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

yessssssssssssss

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ban for ani...

oh.

eh, we'll let this one slide.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if moving to the usa didn't pan out my backup plan was to go to germany

probably should have done that anyway tbh, at least that way years 25-32 of my life wouldn't have been basically a complete waste :smith: (it worked out in the end but i question whether the drudgery was worth it)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

how much for one with a numpad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
im the shame

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's neat that humans can easily withstand temperatures 50 degrees (C) below their body temperature, but only 10 degrees above is extremely uncomfortable, and 20 is potentially fatal

not butt naked you can't and if you're going to bring high-falutin technology like "clothes" to bear on the task then who gives a gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
+/- 20c though

well, being naked in 10c weather is not particularly fun but it's not going to kill you

50c otoh is absolutely not a fun time under any circumstances

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/adam_lewis/status/919466814785990656

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

if you take your dads name often people will just end up calling you junior

god drat

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/johnregehr/status/920691341738123264

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
soda is disgusting and even if it was some sort of miracle cure i would only drink it grudgingly

:goonsay: as gently caress i know but if your diet wasn't drenched in sugar your body would react exactly the same way.

related pro click:

http://www.endofshiftreport.com/2015/07/a-colleague-of-mine-related-tale-of-pt.html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
flavored or unflavored seltzer is the good poo poo

fruit flavored seltzer is nice because it makes the taste more interesting but it doesn't have any of the disgusting sweetness

i mean i'll still chow the gently caress down on a bacon egg n cheese breakfast roll every day but sugar is kind of ehh imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why would a person with cast iron job security not use said job security to occasionally troll the gently caress out of some noobs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/922557173883920384

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
minidiscs were rad as hell

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
an msx with a minidisc drive would be basically peak vaporwave

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
spook

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that image is :nms:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what is it about the human brain that causes the default impulse toward other animals to be FEED, GROOM as opposed to EAT or FLEE

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm j/s it would make a lot more sense in a way if people had to consciously restrain themselves from wanting to grab small passing animals and just start munching on them, seeing as meat is an essential part of our diet

but even the most twisted hosed up psychopaths don't have any trace of a predatory instinct

it's kind of weird when you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
empathy is not a consequence of sapience, animals demonstrate it all the time.

maybe it's to do with the feast/famine nature of predatory existence. civilized humans don't get capital-H Hungry very often. hunting and killing prey is a risky and energetic activity so why bother when your batteries are fully topped up. i'd imagine some north korean suffering one of their wonderful god-king's endless famines would view a cute baby cow through very different eyes to an average american.

• Locked thread