Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm still going to enter, despite now knowing I can't win. A perfect ICSA entry, well done Ponzi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Congratulations, Ponzi!

You have won a glamorous six hour vacation, and a memorable souvenir of the absolutely brilliant lack of effort, seasoning, and attempt to argue for the superiority of your work employed in this entry.
i'm curious what you expected with such a lax definition of chili within the OP

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ingredients purchased. Cooking this weekend. It snowed today so it's a good time to do this.

As a hint, a lot of my family is from rural northern Arizona, so there will be some regional variation to this chili. It's goooooood......

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Guys and gals, I am actually interested in the ultimate chilli, and await the various genuine entries so I can compare.

My own recipe is not complete, so I can't submit one, but my idea is:

How would a resident of San Antonio make chilli before the age of processed/canned/frozen/globally transported ingredients?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ponzi posted:

Guys and gals, I am actually interested in the ultimate chilli, and await the various genuine entries so I can compare.

My own recipe is not complete, so I can't submit one, but my idea is:

How would a resident of San Antonio make chilli before the age of processed/canned/frozen/globally transported ingredients?

Grab a nearby cow, take it's legs off, stew in hot peppers.

Wait poo poo that's chilli

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nvm

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 22, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sorry, doublepost :tipshat:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Of course I would find this thread the day I actually made chili, so I couldn't take any pictures! :argh:

Oh well, it's all for the best; I know this batch of chili won't be my best. Guess I'll just have to make more chili before the deadline is up...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made some chili today! I have to do some other stuff before I write up my post and submit it, so for now here is a teaser picture! Full post comes later.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Well at least on the upside there is nowhere to go but up in terms of the entries.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just kidding, literally none of that made it into the chili. Please give me props for spending $2 on that fake sausage just so I could jokingly post a picture of it to fake everyone out. Here is my entry.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It is 90 bazillion degrees outside in Northern Michigan, but come cooler weather at the end of this week I will be be entering this contest.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soy chorizo is a hate crime against the fine people of Mexico.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Soy chorizo.

No eres chorizo...eres caca

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
For some reason amazon didn't have multiple tins of chipotles in adobo like it normally did so i bought a 2.8kg tin instead

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jose posted:

For some reason amazon didn't have multiple tins of chipotles in adobo like it normally did so i bought a 2.8kg tin instead

That's a lot of chipotle in adobo. I'd recommend freezing it and grating it over everything you cook for an addition of smoky, spicy flavor to literally everything. It's terrific, believe me. It's the best. Everyone says it's the best method.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Jose posted:

It's also an ingredient in bacon jam.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Midniter posted:

That's a lot of chipotle in adobo. I'd recommend freezing it and grating it over everything you cook for an addition of smoky, spicy flavor to literally everything. It's terrific, believe me. It's the best. Everyone says it's the best method.

yeah thats what i planned to do. it was twice the price (£9ish) to a 200g tin

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Chipotle peppers really are the best.

They also last loving forever after you open them. I'm not even sure they can go bad.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

The Midniter posted:

I can't not read this in a Donald Trump voice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Seriously, the best. I get a big can and blend them until completely smooth, with a little salt and thinning them out as needed with a little cider vinegar and water, then put in a standard squeeze bottle. So easy to add to so many things, and allows you to fine tune to exactly how much you want in a recipe.

Want some chipotle on your burger? Squeeze some on. Want chipotle mac & cheese? Squirt some in there and stir it in. Want am amazing topping for a hot dog? Squeeze pure chipotle on instead of ketchup (gross). Chipotle mayo? Literally 10 seconds of effort to stir some into mayo.

It lasts forever, just loses a little potency over time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
How do canned chipotles compare to dried? Lately I've been pretty big on starting any manner of things by mincing some dried chipotles and toasting them in fat before adding vegetables to saute.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ralith posted:

How do canned chipotles compare to dried? Lately I've been pretty big on starting any manner of things by mincing some dried chipotles and toasting them in fat before adding vegetables to saute.

It's essentially the same as any fresh pepper vs canned:

The dry pepper is, by weight, much more concentrated in the base flavors. So for a dry chipotle, you can expect a big hit of smoked flavor. Fresh chipotles are less intense, but they are packed in Adobo which is delicious and you will have nothing of comparable value to speak of when using dried chipotles.

It depends on what you're looking for, but in this context, chile? Feel free to use dried chipotles. They will form an excellent base to any dried chili powder. You will miss the Adobo, though in this specific end product I think it will not matter too much.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Seriously, the best. I get a big can and blend them until completely smooth, with a little salt and thinning them out as needed with a little cider vinegar and water, then put in a standard squeeze bottle. So easy to add to so many things, and allows you to fine tune to exactly how much you want in a recipe.

This is an amazing idea and I am going to copy you, except I'm going to add more vinegar, because vinegar incredible. I'll bet a nice sherry vinegar would be good in there too. Half apple cider, half sherry.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I made a chili. Then I ate the chili and now I feel too fat to write up a post yet. While I take a moment to rest and cool down, here's my assistant letting me know that while I'm cleaning up I should sweep up this dry food that SOMEONE (he doesn't know who) spilled all around his dish

e: thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835843

Tendales fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 29, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i got some dried chillies on amazon. couldn't get whole chipotle's for some reason but i've got a 2.8kg tin of them in adobo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jose posted:

i got some dried chillies on amazon. couldn't get whole chipotle's for some reason but i've got a 2.8kg tin of them in adobo

Ffffffuck...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dude, do you not have a Mexican grocery near you? Shouldn't be too hard to find locally.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't since i'm in the UK. its why i get them all through amazon

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Jose posted:

I got these chipotles and am pretty happy, though I'm not much of an expert. What listing were all those from?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ralith posted:

I got these chipotles and am pretty happy, though I'm not much of an expert. What listing were all those from?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?_encodi...ab=&vasStoreID=

but i'm in the UK

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh, right, countries are a thing that's relevant to shipping :smith:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dude, do you not have a Mexican grocery near you? Shouldn't be too hard to find locally.

I do but I still like those

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
How NOT to make chili

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its pretty big :thunk:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Chipotles in adobo will last approximately forever in the freezer.

I like to freeze them flat in ziploc bags so I can just tear off a hunk when needed.

e: or just scale your chili recipe to use the entire can

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

My entry is ready. Behold! Chili Just Like My Dad Never Made

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have stuck my prep list to a kitchen cupboard door and invited round several fearless culinary experimenters. The meal may last but a few hours on the 14th, but its effects will reverberate for years to come.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836403

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

edit: Woops.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 5, 2017

• Locked thread