Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

Baked beans in tomato sauce? Is that... is that one of those foods that's so bad that you only find it in Britain, or is that just chili without the meat and spices?

Um what

Don't play like that's not an American thing too - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Beans-With-Tomato-Sauce-13-7-oz-Pack-of-12/19475729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

And the comments section is all English expats talking about how happy they are that Walmart is importing their beloved English baked beans from Britain, because the US doesn't make products like this.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

What a sad existence the British endure if they're incapable of a simple pot of baked beans.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My thread is up. Turned out great. Glad to have about 20lbs in the freezer now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836698

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
I have a couple of question for all you chilli gurus out there:

What varieties of chilli are good for chilli? I'm planning to grow/smoke my own and want a good selection with which to experiment. So far I have:

Jalapeņo (and Chipotle when smoked)
Ancho
Guajillo

I don't mind a bit of heat, but not ridiculous heat, which is why I haven't included Habanero. I'm more interested in flavours.

The other question is about growing. My plan is to grow/dry them in the conservatory with a separate container for each variety, and then use the first crop's seed's the following year, and so on. But I read somewhere that the different varieties will cross-fertilise, destroying the purity of each variety. Is this true? If so, is there any way of avoiding it (short of only growing one variety, or growing them in separate properties).

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Oooh an ISCA!! Mildly excited about the options available to me in Australia.

Gonna have a red hot go with a bunch of smoked chillies sitting in vacuum bags in my pantry.

Next weekend.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ponzi posted:

What varieties of chilli are good for chilli? I'm planning to grow/smoke my own and want a good selection with which to experiment. So far I have:

Jalapeņo (and Chipotle when smoked)
Ancho
Guajillo

I don't mind a bit of heat, but not ridiculous heat, which is why I haven't included Habanero. I'm more interested in flavours.

I would add a New Mexico cultivar as a all-round good green chili. These range in heat from mild to ridiculous, so go with an Anaheim variety if you want the milder end of the scale. You might also add a good pickling variety like peperoncini or banana pepper if you like that kind of thing. Keep in mind that there are two major varieties of jalapeno, original and A&M Hybrid II, the latter of which has little heat - if you're growing the hybrid you might add serrano peppers, they're the very bottom of the "starting to get some serious heat" level and what good are chilis without a little heat?

Ponzi posted:

The other question is about growing. My plan is to grow/dry them in the conservatory with a separate container for each variety, and then use the first crop's seed's the following year, and so on. But I read somewhere that the different varieties will cross-fertilise, destroying the purity of each variety. Is this true? If so, is there any way of avoiding it (short of only growing one variety, or growing them in separate properties).

Yeah, sadly enough chilis are all the same or very closely related species and are quite cross-compatible. Thus the A&M Hybrid II, which is a cross between the jalapeno and bell. The plants are self pollinators, so you wouldn't wind up with any surprises (ask me about bell peppers with the heat of serranos, whoops) if you kept them well-separated and in still air, but hybridization is still inevitable and it would be best to start from fresh seed every year if multiple distinct varieties with distinct heat levels is your goal.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

... useful advice ...

Thanks for that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

rndmnmbr posted:

(ask me about bell peppers with the heat of serranos, whoops)

Sounds amazing, is that really something you can do?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I might be able to pull this off, because I'm butchering a few ducks in two weeks and planning on making a small pot of chilli with the feet, wings, necks, and drums.Even if I dont make it in time, I'll still post the thread anyway in my ongoing attempts to make muscovy duck popular.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I went shopping and did a bunch of prep, so I should cook it all tomorrow and post my thread tomorrow or Monday

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I have a chili in the oven ~right now~

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Scientastic posted:

Sounds amazing, is that really something you can do?

Or, make you jalapenos completely heat free. :science:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Or, make you jalapenos completely heat free. :science:

Yeah, this is more likely. For the annuums and baccatums they usually cross breed and lose heat. It's mainly the chinense that people are cross breeding for more heat successfully, even my chinense failures didn't lose any heat. But jalapenos, new mex and amarillos with lower heat than normal was usually the case.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I made a chili https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836873

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Looks good. You had me with that massive amount of beef, the fish sauce, vinegar and cumin seeds. That cheese though, not so sure.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fo3 posted:

Looks good. You had me with that massive amount of beef, the fish sauce, vinegar and cumin seeds. That cheese though, not so sure.

Eh its's just a topping, can be done either way. The cheese was actually a block of bacon cheddar that my wife brought back from a conference in Wisconsin. Went well with the chili but just as good without.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

My controversial BEAN-having chili moved here, per the OP's instructions.

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 10, 2017

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Coming soon:

A Texan transplant in Utah tries to make not Texas Red, sabotages himself subconsciously and makes Texas Red.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Falstaff posted:

I run an every-other-week tabletop nerd game, and I like to cook meals for my group when I do, so after I saw this thread I figured I'd make some chili and record my efforts for the contest.

To me, a proper chili must have both beans and beef.

Stopped reading right here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He's 100% right though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Proper chili is strictly meat-only, for my money.

Want beans? You can add beans later.

gently caress you, though. Don't put that poo poo in my loving chili. Do it for your own drat self.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Stopped reading right here.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Proper chili is strictly meat-only, for my money.

Want beans? You can add beans later.

gently caress you, though. Don't put that poo poo in my loving chili. Do it for your own drat self.

Here's a thought. Put up or shut up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
In the same way that carbonara is not carbonara if you put cream in it, chili is not chili if you put beans in it. More of a goulash at that point.

Can it still taste good? Sure. Is it chili? Nope.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

In the same way that carbonara is not carbonara if you put cream in it, chili is not chili if you put beans in it. More of a goulash at that point.

Can it still taste good? Sure. Is it chili? Nope.

You have that backwards. There are three required ingredients for a dish to be considered chili: Chilies, red meat, beans. Everything else is extraneous, removing one or more of those things makes it not chili. This is basic stuff.

That's not to say dishes lacking one of those things can't be good, but they aren't technically chili.

:goonsay:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

You have that backwards. There are three required ingredients for a dish to be considered chili: Chilies, red meat, beans. Everything else is extraneous, removing one or more of those things makes it not chili. This is basic stuff.

That's not to say dishes lacking one of those things can't be good, but they aren't technically chili.

No. That is not correct. The creators of the dish disagree with you. Chili con carne was "invented" by one of two men, Dewitt Clinton Pendery (Ft. Worth) or William Gebhardt (San Antonio), depending on who you believe. It is a Texas creation, and does not have beans. If you add beans, more power to you, but it no longer meets the definition of Chili. Feel free to add another descriptor to it like "Cincinatti Chili" or, "Chili with beans" though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anything more than dried beef, dried chili peppers, suet, and salt is not technically chili.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

No. That is not correct. The creators of the dish disagree with you. Chili con carne was "invented" by one of two men, Dewitt Clinton Pendery (Ft. Worth) or William Gebhardt (San Antonio), depending on who you believe. It is a Texas creation, and does not have beans. If you add beans, more power to you, but it no longer meets the definition of Chili. Feel free to add another descriptor to it like "Cincinatti Chili" or, "Chili with beans" though.

:lol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Chili is ready

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836974

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Does chili have to be eaten in a bowl?

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I have never entered an ICSA before, but the weather is getting cool and I do love me some chili... The closest grocery store only had dried cascabels for $10 an oz. Can't get very far with that now can I?

So I did a thing with the internet and suddenly a box showed up at my door.

Now we're talkin. 2lb 4oz of DELICIOUS smelling dried peppers

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bootcha posted:

Does chili have to be eaten in a bowl?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM THE MAKERS OF CHILI!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Texas-ish style chili simmering in a pot right now. Thread with a full write-up to follow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hi Falstaff, that's a good looking entry! Please post it as a separate post and link to the thread, to make the upcoming voting easier!

I see Doom Rooster has posted their entry into debate, but you three need to ante up if you're going to claim to know what chili means. :getin:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, this is more likely. For the annuums and baccatums they usually cross breed and lose heat. It's mainly the chinense that people are cross breeding for more heat successfully, even my chinense failures didn't lose any heat. But jalapenos, new mex and amarillos with lower heat than normal was usually the case.

Yeah, I planted all my chilis together like a dumbass, in the Texas wind. The bells and serranos were right next to each other, so that's what I figured, but there were habaneros and birds-eye chilis in the mix too. The bells were mostly fine, but my little cousin was the unlucky recipient of an extra-spicy stuffed bell pepper.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Liquid Communism posted:

Hi Falstaff, that's a good looking entry! Please post it as a separate post and link to the thread, to make the upcoming voting easier!

Sorry, wasn't aware of the procedure. Will do.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hey remember that write-up I said I was gonna do about my chili? It's here!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Whoops guess I'm supposed to link my poo poo here!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837475

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here is my chili entry.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i made chili but forgot to take any photos. It wasn't very hot when i was tasting it while cooking so kept adding habaneros and carolina reapers and now its extremely hot and made my piss burn

• Locked thread