Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Jose posted:

i made chili but forgot to take any photos. It wasn't very hot when i was tasting it while cooking so kept adding habaneros and carolina reapers and now its extremely hot and made my piss burn
Better dilute it with beans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jose posted:

i made chili but forgot to take any photos. It wasn't very hot when i was tasting it while cooking so kept adding habaneros and carolina reapers and now its extremely hot and made my piss burn

Only your rectum and tongue can detect capsaicin so why are you drinking your piss?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, probably want to look into some antibiotics/antivirals.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

As is so often the case, I find myself in complete disagreement with authority. I posit there is no such thing as the "One True Chili". I am sure that on reading my justification, all will agree.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i added a bunch of stuff to mine like anchovies for salt and tomato puree and as bunch of brown sugar and cinnamon powder and its the best chili i've ever made ignoring that its insanely hot because i kept adding ground habaneros and carolina reapers because it was fairly mild when i kept tasting it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After I decided not to use the tomato paste I was really close to putting in some anchovy paste, but I decided my tube of anchovy paste was super old and gross looking so I didn't. But that is a good choice I want to try for sure.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scientastic posted:

As is so often the case, I find myself in complete disagreement with authority. I posit there is no such thing as the "One True Chili". I am sure that on reading my justification, all will agree.

:stare:

God drat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i generally try not to add salt to stews when i can add things that will add salt and more and not be noticeable in the final product. anchovies dissolve really well in stews

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, I generally make beef stew with anchovy paste instead of tomato paste for umami, and while my wife claims to hate anchovy, she cannot tell that I've done this. I had not really thought of it an alternative to salting, although of course anchovy paste has lots of salt.

Most "fish sauce" is just anchovy and water, too - when making a stir fry, I use fish sauce and cut way back on the soy sauce to avoid making it too salty.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837729

I made a chili, ya'll!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some drat fine chilis on this page.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

While I cannot enter my own ICSA, I made chili today for a chili competition at work.

Pork and beef in a Texas Red style. 12 serranos, 6 poblanos, 2 tins of chipotles in adobo. No beans, no tomatoes, no bullshit.

It's good. Probably not going to win because my coworkers are all midwesterners with low spice tolerance, but I like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I would eat that chili, Liquid Communism.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

While I cannot enter my own ICSA, I made chili today for a chili competition at work.

Pork and beef in a Texas Red style. 12 serranos, 6 poblanos, 2 tins of chipotles in adobo. No beans, no tomatoes, no bullshit.

It's good. Probably not going to win because my coworkers are all midwesterners with low spice tolerance, but I like it.

Do you mind sharing the recipe for this?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Do you mind sharing the recipe for this?

Not much to it. Trimmed, cubed and browned off 5lbs of chuck roast in a bit of fat. Browned up 2lbs of coarse ground pork in the fat left from that. Caramelized a diced yellow onion and a clove of garlic on the fond, then deglazed the pan with dark beer.

Seeded and trimmed a dozen fresh serannos and a half dozen poblanos. Roasted until evenly black under the broiler, then skinned. Peppers then go into the blender with two cans of Chipotle in adobo sauce.

Toasted and ground a couple Tbsp cumin seeds, added to the chili paste along with 1/2tsp ground cloves, 1/2tsp ground cinnamon, 1tsp white pepper, 1tbsp cayenne pepper, 2tbsp smoked paprika, a generous pinch of salt, some cracked black pepper, and a little celery seed.

Paste goes in the crock pot with the meat and aromatics, 2 qts of beef stock get added, then taste for seasoning. It wasn't quite there, so I added a couple tbsp of Lea and Perrin's, about 2oz of 70% dark chocolate, half a lime worth of juice, and some molasses.

Simmer 6-8 hours, then add 1/2 cup of cornmeal to thicken and simmer a bit longer.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 18, 2017

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Oh right, I should post the link here. Almost forgot. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838600

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Jose posted:

Dude thank you for saying this.

I get spicy pee on the REGULAR dude. The thing is, it's only when I am eating some insanely spicy poo poo.

Whenever I have informed anybody of my spicy piss they recommend I see a doctor, but I take solidarity in our shared experience. Spicy piss is real. Wave that flag brother.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838847

Done made some Chili now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We're coming up on The Final Day.

If you want in, get your chili posted!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
There are so many great entries...is there any way to have a runoff with the top two vote-getters?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
There is zero chance of me getting the placenta chili done this week, so it looks like I’ll have to skip the actual competition part. Good news, though, I have a friend coming over next week to babysit while I actually make the dang chili.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Taima posted:

Dude thank you for saying this.

I get spicy pee on the REGULAR dude. The thing is, it's only when I am eating some insanely spicy poo poo.

Whenever I have informed anybody of my spicy piss they recommend I see a doctor, but I take solidarity in our shared experience. Spicy piss is real. Wave that flag brother.

Congrats on having rectal cells growing in your dick.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Please don't cloaca shame in this forum.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

marshalljim posted:

Congrats on having rectal cells growing in your dick.

People who haven't had spicy pee haven't had anything spicy enough brother. Man up and make a one-person bowl of curry with a fistful of Thai bird chilis and tell me yo pee isn't on a first class train to spicy town.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have done multiple spicy food challenges, and make my own ghost pepper hot sauce. I have never had my pee burn for non-bacterial reasons.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I have done multiple spicy food challenges, and make my own ghost pepper hot sauce. I have never had my pee burn for non-bacterial reasons.
ghost doesn't do it for me, I gotta go reaper or scorpion and high quantity to feel the burn.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ueah im not really sure what to say, it only burns when i eat super, super spicy food and no other symptoms otherwise soooo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

THE BATTLE HAS ENDED.

Thank you all for your entries! The voting thread will go up later today, and soon we will know whose chili reigns supreme!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Where's the voting thread?? I've been avoiding reading the entries until it's posted so I can wallow in the glory of chili all day, where is it?!?!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It has been slightly delayed on acount of my face being melted by work. It shold be up shortly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Liquid Communism posted:

my face being melted

Too much chili?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Liquid Communism posted:

my face being melted by work.

Yeah yeah yeah but did work make your pee burn?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Too much chili?

Not enough chili, too many maintenance windows.

BEHOLD, THE VOTING THREAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Voting is ended! Congratulations Scientastic, on the vast and enthusiastic approval of your peers!

My thanks to everyone who entered, this has been a great turnout, and a ton of really good entries.

• Locked thread