Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I had scrambled eggs on an airplane for breakfast. They were weird in both flavor and texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Don't eat eggs of an airplane

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poverty goat posted:

I have a fever dream of a Benedict topped w/ hardcore full cream she-crab soup w/ extra crabmeat and some scallops cooked in it but in practice I think it might come out too sweet as a hollandaise replacement

Maybe a thick slice of sharp cheddar underneath the soup and left to melt and get gooey would fix that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe a thick slice of sharp cheddar underneath the soup and left to melt and get gooey would fix that.

I actually just threw together a test batch and it was delicious but the soup needs to be a lot thicker to sit up and look good

Next time I'll just sautee the scallops in butter then roux the scallop butter like I'm making scallop gravy (have those words ever been uttered together? I feel like I'm breaking new ground here) and then add straight shecrab soup. Should work, I reckon, unless combining two rouxes violates some kind of cosmic emulsion law (of which there are many)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
This is the first I've heard of shecrab soup and it sounds incredible. Do you have a recipe you go off of?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

This is the first I've heard of shecrab soup and it sounds incredible. Do you have a recipe you go off of?
Lightly brown a roux w/some bay leaves then add cream, crab base, magic blackened redfish seasoning and Sherry to taste.

Thats my lazyass roe-less restaurant style shecrab soup recipe. Traditionally it gets a lot of sherry and is then ladelled into bowls partially filled with warm sherry so you should get some real sherry not cooking sherry as cooking sherry is full of salt to deter you from drinking it and you'll never be able to add enough without ruining it

Also good luck finding crab base if you aren't friendly with a restauranteur who can order it from Sysco or something

E: oh and canned crabmeat

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 29, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hp sauce is insanely good and its a shame you can't get it in america

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jose posted:

Hp sauce is insanely good and its a shame you can't get it in america

quote:

HP Sauce has a tomato base, blended with malt vinegar and spirit vinegar, Sugars(molasses, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar), dates, cornflour, rye flour, salt, spices and tamarind.
So it's British ketchup

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its not as sweet and a more sour than ketchup

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jose posted:

british bacon isn't ham and idk what you ate that you think thats the case

British bacon is ham. It's the same as Canadian bacon except you leave some of the fat on it whereas the Canadians do not. Canadian bacon is also ham. Both are bad.

Neither is bacon because neither is pork belly. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

Its not as sweet and a more sour than ketchup

Sounds kind of like a sweeter A1 sauce. So maybe start with A1 as a base?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can get hp sauce all over the loving place in the states

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it like one of those things that you can find it, but it's different like the Heinz beans thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No it's called going to goddamn Walmart or something

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I had a little pecan tart for breakfast.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

poverty goat posted:

Traditionally it gets a lot of sherry and is then ladelled into bowls partially filled with warm sherry

holy poo poo, my kind of soup

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

poverty goat posted:

Lightly brown a roux w/some bay leaves then add cream, crab base, magic blackened redfish seasoning and Sherry to taste.

Thats my lazyass roe-less restaurant style shecrab soup recipe. Traditionally it gets a lot of sherry and is then ladelled into bowls partially filled with warm sherry so you should get some real sherry not cooking sherry as cooking sherry is full of salt to deter you from drinking it and you'll never be able to add enough without ruining it

Also good luck finding crab base if you aren't friendly with a restauranteur who can order it from Sysco or something

people should never use "cooking wines". i've never run into a situation where a cheap 5 dollar bottle of red/white wine isn't 100x better than cooking wines.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah I've never really understood the point of them. If you're going to drink them because you have a problem you're better off just omitting it entirely and/or using literally any other substitute

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

holy poo poo, my kind of soup

Don't let the spoon fool you, it's a crab gravy cocktail

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

poverty goat posted:

you can make your own crab stock by pressure cooking a shitload of crab bodies, shells and roe with some herbs. takes 20 minutes and its cheap as gently caress since you just use the carcasses.

it's insanely, crazily better than that sysco poo poo. ugh.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I had a Jamaican Spicy Beef patty for breakfast today

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

the black husserl posted:

you can make your own crab stock by pressure cooking a shitload of crab bodies, shells and roe with some herbs. takes 20 minutes and its cheap as gently caress since you just use the carcasses.

Making my own stock always seemed like such a pain in the rear end until I realized that it's simple enough to drink and do all day. Then one day after thanksgiving I had a huge turkey carcass so I followed a recipe I found online and made a TON of turkey stock - I made it so concentrated that I could pour it into a few ice-cube trays to freeze, so I could just plop a few stock-cubes into whatever I was making.

Ever since then, I make a lot stock and either cook with it or make little soup kits for my friends when they're sick or busy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I don't actually have a lot of crab carcasses at my fingertips tho

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

What? Crabs are probably the single most expensive seafood that you can find.

Anyway, I had a hot pocket for breakfast. :smithicide:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im thinkin i might make a big arse beefy stew tonight :discourse:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What? Crabs are probably the single most expensive seafood that you can find.

Expensive in time and effort and space

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

im thinkin i might make a big arse beefy stew tonight :discourse:

Beef stew is a bold move for breakfast and I'm having thoughts about some sort of goulash breakfast burrito

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's ok to eat whatever you ate for dinner for breakfast so long as you eat it cold or reheat it in a skillet with your eggs

Poach an egg in the stew is what I'm saying

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

reheat the stew in the microwave and rub it on your nipples.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

poverty goat posted:

It's ok to eat whatever you ate for dinner for breakfast so long as you eat it cold or reheat it in a skillet with your eggs

Poach an egg in the stew is what I'm saying

shakshuka goulash would be a great breakfast

shakshuka owns a lot

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's also fun to say

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

is breakfast for dinner still breakfast though????

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cooking wines are great if you're a degenerate as they have salt to dissuade you from drinking all the wine and actually having something to cook with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

idk why you'd ever buy that

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

afaik it has more to do with selling it as a grocery item in a grocery store without having to pay liquor tax or adhere to arcane local laws governing the sale of alcohol, kind of like denatured alcohol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this isn't really breakfast related but i'll post it here anyway since i'll use them in breakfast. i just got a bunch of dried peppers off amazon

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Once I bought a little bag of Chipotle's from Amazon and they sent me a whole case of them so now I'm set for life

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i also bought a 2.8kg tin of chipotles in adobo it was twice the price of the 200g tins and amazon had nothing other tha the 200g tins or the 2.8kg tin lol

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
There shouldn't be a great deal of hate for "Ramsay eggs", as they are absolutely delicious but extremely time-consuming. For me, brewing coffee and buttering a pan is the start of the "breakfast" day. I'm not going to keep CRÈME FRAÎCHE in my fridge and you don't exactly need it for Ramsay eggs. But the whole ritual of stirring the eggs and removing them and adding them on the heat over and over and over is just not practical until I have some coffee flowing through my veins.

What is practical is using a decent amount of butter in frying eggs. I like to keep the yoke as uncooked as possible. Over medium heat, crack an egg over some pretty hot butter and I place a cover over the top to steam the egg and keep it from being raw. Pour some butter from around the pan over the top of the egg to sear all of that flavor in and then simply serve.

I miss having a natural gas stove, as I am now using electric and the heat management is nowhere near the same. But I can still get it somewhat close.

This is a really amazing video regarding artisanal butchery and the wonderful aspects of pigs. I try each and every year to go vegan because well - meat is technically murder and slavery - but I can't do it because of the incredible taste and artistry that goes into food that we don't necessarily appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtnsZ2JaKso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
"A little butter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5HYmyX5jA

• Locked thread