Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow thanks. I'll have to try that. I have that cute little pan too.

yo no prob, just make sure that pan doesn't have like, fork gouges and meteor strikes in it if other people have used it.
As long as it's not too scratched up and it's non-stick you'll be golden.
Give or take the temps and timing, that's different for everyone and their stupid pans and stoves and poo poo, you'll figure this one out easy. Give it a few Saturdays and the same general idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you love it put a egg on it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

FULL.
ENGLISH.
BREAKFAST.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Big Beef City posted:

Capers and dill are an excellent pairing on that.

Please do the covering thing, you see how perfectly round the eggs are in the pic I quoted? it's because that's the exact pan size, it's the small little frying pan your set comes with, but it needs to be at least somewhat decent. You'll have a lid for a sauce pan that perfectly matches it, or is drat near close.
Get butter underway in it to a light froth and crack your eggs into it and keep it low (somewhere between a 5.5 and a 7) on an electric, be a little patient. When you see the edges lift and you swirl the butter around them just kinda shimmy the pan by jerking the hand with the wrist. The eggs should slide without breaking, they'll just kinda slip around for SHORT distances in the pan. If they're stuck you did it wrong. If they're swimming in fat or some other liquid, something else has gone wrong.

K. All set. Put like..I dunno, a shotglass of water in the lid and dump it in along the edge of the pan as you turn the lid over onto it, turn up the heat to about 9 and count out 15 seconds and then turn it back down. Count out another few seconds, whatever, then take the lid off, and if there's any water let it steam back off, and..poof, eggs like the picture in approximately 2.5 minutes of them hitting the pan every time.
Yolk will be a lil runny. Don't be a bitch so long as the whites set.

Then again, I'm the guy who will do the whole "use one half of an egg to separate the raw yolk" technique to make caeser dressing to toss with salad and have been doing so for eh...13 years now without getting sick. So...maybe I'm not your egg man.

I don't know what to say about this whole over complication of frying an egg.

It's just part of the English Full Breakfast.

English Men just know how to produce a plate of fried eggs, mushrooms, bacon and sausages without this amount of shite.

I have no explanation.

Probably why yank women get so wet over UK men.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I like to have fish for breakfast. Cold fish leftover from the day before is great for breakfast.
I've never had kedgeree but oh man it sounds brilliant.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

I don't know what to say about this whole over complication of frying an egg.

It's just part of the English Full Breakfast.

English Men just know how to produce a plate of fried eggs, mushrooms, bacon and sausages without this amount of shite.

I have no explanation.

Probably why yank women get so wet over UK men.

He's explaining a specific technique to make sunny side up eggs more like over easy by steaming the top of the egg rather than flipping them.

Also, it's the accent that does it... not the looks. That's for drat sure.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

He's explaining a specific technique to make sunny side up eggs more like over easy by steaming the top of the egg rather than flipping them.

Also, it's the accent that does it... not the looks. That's for drat sure.

Whatever.....

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Fried pork tenderloins represent. On a biscuit or by itself, fresh and hot out of the frypan, hot sauce and/or mustard. Maybe some eggs on the side. Diner coffee served by a lady nonironically calling you "honey". To finish, more biscuits with butter and sorghum/molassess/actual honey to sop up.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

gently caress yes, why did nobody tell me of this before I married an American woman?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Throw away the tomatoes, the gross blood and the beans and we've got a decent breakfast here.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Serious question here- what is a biscuit to the people who need a detailed explanation of how to fry an egg?

I speak the English language as a native, almost as an a aboriginal of England. But we would never put meat on a biscuit.

What the loving hell is going on in your country?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I mean I've read about the history of the USA.

How they thought they were the best after ww2 and then the little yellow people told them no quite convincingly and how they never got over that despite other fights they still feel bad about the bad fight against the yellow man.

But what are biscuits?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I live in England.

We eat tasty biscuits like hobnobs. And fig rolls.

Custard creams, Jaffa cakes and digestives.

Can the US describe biscuits to England without making them sound disgusting?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

I mean I've read about the history of the USA.

How they thought they were the best after ww2 and then the little yellow people told them no quite convincingly and how they never got over that despite other fights they still feel bad about the bad fight against the yellow man.

But what are biscuits?

Not cookies.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They're like little buttery rolls that peel apart and taste like heaven dude.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

That does not help.

Help me here. I've read the Grapes of Wrath.

They don't sound good from reading the greats of US literature

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Biscuits are always what they cook before grandpa dies and ma has a miscarriage.

That's always what Mr Steinbeck lead me to believe about the US.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

That does not help.

Help me here. I've read the Grapes of Wrath.

They don't sound good from reading the greats of US literature

This is a standard biscuit. Basically what Tinfoil said.

A lot of people just split them in half and spread butter on them but there are a lot of different uses. Biscuits and gravy being another popular use. They're really light and fluffy and buttery compared to other types of rolls/pastries or whatever you want to call them here. Very good.

Wait, that's kind of a lie. I've had some really dense biscuits before. I like them to be light and fluffy though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 13, 2017

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Biscuits are like my favorite food, and the cook in my life always gets super agitated when they make biscuits and I eat like, half of them at once because I'm an rear end in a top hat.

I love lots of normal, cheap breakfast stuff like sausage links and bacon and french toast and and and.

If I could taste a single thing besides salty and super-spicy right now, I'd try making a trashy omelette and a plate of biscuits right now, but I guess we're having something else already.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

This is a standard biscuit. Basically what Tinfoil said.

A lot of people just split them in half and spread butter on them but there are a lot of different uses. Biscuits and gravy being another popular use. Their really light and fluffy and buttery compared to other types of rolls/pastries or whatever you want to call them here. Very good.

That there is a scone.

Not a biscuit. How you pronounce the word scone splits this nation in half. We still have not recovered.

Imagine a country split between thinking people of a different colour could be kept as slaves and didn't count as real people and a country that pronounced scone differently.

It was that serious.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

General China posted:

That there is a scone.

Not a biscuit. How you pronounce the word scone splits this nation in half. We still have not recovered.

Imagine a country split between thinking people of a different colour could be kept as slaves and didn't count as real people and a country that pronounced scone differently.

It was that serious.

It says biscuit on the tin, therefore it's a biscuit. I've had a scone, and that is no scone. A scone is MUCH more dense.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

That there is a scone.

It was that serious.

What? Phonetically, how do you pronounce scone?

Here it's skone. Like an ice cream cone.

And yeah, what BBC said. I thought to you guys a scone was a sweet thing.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
It is that serious.

The pronunciation of scone is a a very important signifier of culture in the UK.

All I'm saying is- ask anybody who was a member of the IRA to pronounce scone.

And then ask them to start collecting money in Boston for bombs set off by brown people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

It is that serious.

The pronunciation of scone is a a very important signifier of culture in the UK.

All I'm saying is- ask anybody who was a member of the IRA to pronounce scone.

And then ask them to start collecting money in Boston for bombs set off by brown people.

Clearly you aren't a very stable person but I'm curious as to how you say scone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Clearly you aren't a very stable person but I'm curious as to how you say scone.

Like Chone Figgins.

Shawn.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
USA biscuits are closer to a UK scone than a UK biscuit

a USA biscuit is about 300x better than both but they're all different things

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My mom used to be a waitress and have a guy that would come in for breakfast and demand his scrambled eggs SNOTTY, and he'd shout it every time.

I hope this story can stay with you now too.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Skon.

The northerner English version.

Down south it is pronounced scoooourn.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those pronunciations are interesting.

I'm always curious about that stuff. I like linguistics or whatever you want to call the differences between languages/colloquial things.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

I'm always curious about that stuff. I like linguistics or whatever you want to call the differences between languages/colloquial things.

Fascinates me too.

I only know about the English versions. I'm sort of looking forward to when we all speak Arabic.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

regional dialects.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

A USA buttermilk biscuit is not a loving scone jesus christ

I have never eaten a scone that I would describe as "flaky" or "fluffy", which is what US biscuits are.

Scones are good tho but they are dense and often crumbly

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Who cares how you pronounce it, throw some sausage gravy on it.

:getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sausage gravy on scones? Eww.

I don't even like scones in the first place. I don't like sweets.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
General China, I feel sorry for you

I hope that someday you will be fortunate enough to travel to America and learn what you've been missing

Well that's good, because biscuits have a much more bready/buttery taste.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I loving love breakfast.

Eggs Benedict on an english muffin with home fries. :discourse:

Hell yeah, Eggs Benedict (and variations thereof) is pretty much the definitive savory breakfast meal IMO. I cant even remember the last time I ordered something else for breakfast because why would I? Also, crispy homefries on the side is a pro move.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sometimes I make Breakfast.....for dinner

bitCH!!!!

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Then it's a good thing that they're not scones!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It was a joke, you see.

he said "Who cares how you pronounce it, throw some sausage gravy on it." With scones being the last thing mentioned. Therefore "it" would be scones as the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

It was a joke, you see.

I had my suspicions, but had to assume the worst given some of the things being said in here about biscuits.

• Locked thread