Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Feyenoord pull ahead of Napolol, I'm not even sure the keeper tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I really hope the Merseyside Derby doesn’t become a bounty hunter injury fest.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Homeless Waxtap go through, really felms the heart

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Brony Car posted:

I really hope the Merseyside Derby doesn’t become a bounty hunter injury fest.
It's Sam.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sphyre posted:

i wish there was some way to describe the sense of optimism i have about liverpool's prospects at this point in the season

Perhaps a graph?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pik_d posted:

Feyenoord pull ahead of Napolol, I'm not even sure the keeper tried

lmao, they must've seen the City - Waxtap scoreline and just given up

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sphyre posted:

i wish there was some way to describe the sense of optimism i have about liverpool's prospects at this point in the season
Wait until they lose to Everton at Anfield and reality will set in again

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Napolol

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol remember when evilhawk wanted to sack klopp like two months ago

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

oliwan posted:

feyenoord ftw 2day

oliwan posted:

feyenoord ftw 2day

oliwan posted:

feyenoord ftw 2day

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
GUARDIOLA OUT

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Pep fluffed Napoli/Sarri for months and then poo poo the bed on purpose so that he wouldn't risk facing them in the quarters. Nice mind games.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Arsenal got kind of screwed with the quality of teams dropping into the Europa League.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Brony Car posted:

Arsenal got kind of screwed with the quality of teams dropping into the Europa League.

Good

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
If not for Chelsea, England would’ve topped all 5 of their groups. Cool and good.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vyelkin posted:

Lmao I do.

Btw: 2 easy.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
That group stage was an utterly boring slog. The champions league format is awful. Months and months of meaningless matches for players to get injured in.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
we got a bunch of fenian tears and brodger's boom busting, it wasn't all bad

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

vyelkin posted:

To be fair from what I saw of the Brighton match (didn’t see anything last night) whilst them Pools are a dream going forward if they come up against a competent attack they are gonna struggle. If it works for them that’s great but I think Klopp’s failure to sort the defence out is an issue, he’s been there long enough.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bacon Terrorist posted:

To be fair from what I saw of the Brighton match (didn’t see anything last night) whilst them Pools are a dream going forward if they come up against a competent attack they are gonna struggle. If it works for them that’s great but I think Klopp’s failure to sort the defence out is an issue, he’s been there long enough.

Precisely this. It's all well and good blowing away the poo poo teams 7-0, but we're still seeing the same defensive issues basically every week. Getting through the group stages was job 1. I still want to see us get into the CL places for next season, and make a decent run in the FA cup. Otherwise, at the end of the season, I think we should consider other options. I don't really know why that's a controversial opinion - if you don't meet your goals you should have to face questions?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

Precisely this. It's all well and good blowing away the poo poo teams 7-0, but we're still seeing the same defensive issues basically every week. Getting through the group stages was job 1. I still want to see us get into the CL places for next season, and make a decent run in the FA cup. Otherwise, at the end of the season, I think we should consider other options. I don't really know why that's a controversial opinion - if you don't meet your goals you should have to face questions?

its an insane opinion m8

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

RideTheSpiral posted:

its an insane opinion m8

Why?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

because the team is fourth in the league and topped it’s champions league group and is playing some of the most exciting football in europe

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

RideTheSpiral posted:

because the team is fourth in the league and topped it’s champions league group and is playing some of the most exciting football in europe

Yeah that's cool and I don't want to sack him immediately. I don't really want to sack him at all. But if we don't meet our goals at the end of the season (as a direct result of him failing to fix the glaring problems in the squad) then shouldn't we look to see if there's someone else who can do that?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah that's cool and I don't want to sack him immediately. I don't really want to sack him at all. But if we don't meet our goals at the end of the season (as a direct result of him failing to fix the glaring problems in the squad) then shouldn't we look to see if there's someone else who can do that?

Embrace the boom. Cmon sing with me, "SiX TIIIIMEs, WE'LL WIN IT sIX TIMES!!!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EvilHawk posted:

maybe give the manager who likes time to build a team a bit more time to build a team imo

the very competitive premier league became the first league to have 5 teams qualify for the knock out stages

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 7, 2017

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Serious question: If not Klopp, who?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Klopp In or Klopp Out probably belongs in another thread.

In any case, I see where EvilHawk is coming from since Liverpool have not been a defensively sound team since Benitez left. However, that was the case not only under Klopp, but also under Rodgers, under much of the Dalglish tenure, and under Hodgson too. The issues that are keeping Liverpool from getting new defenders and better midfield cover for the defense pre-exist Klopp and firing Klopp will not get rid of those issues. They point to systemic failures in FSG's scouting and transfer staff. Unless getting rid of Klopp brings in a vastly superior manager, a better Sporting Director, and new and better scouts, it's just going to retrigger the same chain of events that we have seen since 1990.

Liverpool has been progressing under Klopp. They are not the Billy Big Bollocks of the league, but Klopp's time has been an improvement from almost anything that has happened since 2009 (except Liverpool's heroic victory over favorites Cardiff City in the 2012 League Cup Final).

Jose posted:

the very competitive premier league became the first league to have 5 teams qualify for the knock out stages

Very competitive, indeed. Maybe... too competitive.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 7, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EvilHawk posted:

This is a legitimately insane opinion and the only reason you feel comfortable holding it is your wholly unrealistic ambitions for what Liverpool FC should be in 2017.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm a thorough convert to the "score lots of goals and give up lots of goals and probably not win anything of note" approach

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

none of the first seeds won their group lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is a legitimately insane opinion and the only reason you feel comfortable holding it is your wholly unrealistic ambitions for what Liverpool FC should be in 2017.

Yeah, this.

Liverpool have a squad that should probably be in 4th in the Premier League (they are!) and should be topping a very mediocre Champions League group (they did!).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

In the coefficient ranking of UEFA nations according to their European performance for this season alone, Belgium and Netherlands rank 33rd and 34th respectively. That’s below Albania, Moldova, Lithuania, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan, amongst many others.

lol

edit: klopp out imo

https://twitter.com/RichJolly/status/938521399299313664

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 7, 2017

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jesus christ you guys I'm not having the same arguments over and over. Klopp is fine but should do more to fix the problems that were there when he started.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

Jesus christ you guys I'm not having the same arguments over and over. Klopp is fine but should do more to fix the problems that were there when he started.

maybe you get mou in and play poo poo football and get some 0-0 draws and be happy

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

He seems dead set on acquiring VVD in the January window so let's see if he can pull that off. If VVD remains unavailable, can he adjust and find more help.

Klopp owns.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Doing more by sacking Klopp am I right?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Current form:
Team is doing great!

... Should we sack the manager?

Man, what a incredibly toxic, short-term, kneejerk view of developing a club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Current form:
Team is doing great!

... Should we sack the manager?

Man, what a incredibly toxic, short-term, kneejerk view of developing a club.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but EvilHawk has been watching Liverpool suffer from very similar problems under multiple managers so I can see why his patience is running thin.

I think he expects a bit more transfer action than is realistic given how FSG want to spend and who they have in charge of finding new people, but it's not like he's Roman Abramovich.

• Locked thread