Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I wonder how well that midfield copes against Sevilla. I'll try to be optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tortuga posted:

Well Spartak couldn't even beat whoever that other team is and will probably be punished for the attempted murder

What?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I'm with Bacon. Liverpool seem to have been running on adrenaline to get them qualified for the CL and now the fuel that propelled Liverpool through that initial hurdle is gone and the results are reflecting that. Klopp can get the players to be better than their actual level for stretches at a time, but the real quality level eventually shows through because Klopp's style counts so much on fitness and aggression.

The Coutinho saga has screwed the midfield balance up and the midfield being screwed up is making the defense look even worse than it actually is.

Klopp can work through it, but it's definitely not a given that he'll be able to work through it before the group stage point tally is beyond salvaging.

I'm also having another meltdown about spending money on Oxlade-Chamberlain. I think Henry was right about him. What is his purpose?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

How quickly they forget fat gently caress Mido.

I was watching a documentary on Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Mido gets interviewed pretty extensively due to his time at Ajax (and throwing scissors at Zlatan during a locker room argument). Mido attributes some of his acting out to not dealing well with the weight of expectations placed on him back in Egypt.

It's a pretty weak excuse on Mido's part,, but Salah seems to be working with that kind of pressure.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sticksy posted:

I just remember Steve Bruce growing to hate him after he had a dynamite start to that one season but can't recall the reasoning.

He would come back late from international breaks.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

RideTheSpiral posted:

maybe you shouldnt watch football or claim to support a team you clearly hate idk?

Get this.

Liverpoo

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I’m not ready.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

We can't score penalties anymore ffs

The PL is too competitive.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tsaedje posted:

By the end of the season every squad member will have a goal to his name

Fraudiola will become GODiola.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I might not be remembering transfer activity correctly, but haven’t other leagues been raiding the Bundesliga for talent the past couple of seasons? At some point, given inevitable fluctuations in form, occasional bad luck, and player departures (especially from Dortmund), I would expect some subpar German club performances.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

Tempting fate but I don't really see Spartak getting a win at Anfield. We should be fine.

If the players approach the match like this, Liverpool is doomed.

I don’t know if this is down to Klopp’s bad halftime match talks, but this kind of poo poo mentality preceded him for a long time at Liverpool. I’ve seen Liverpool blow leads like this under Dalglish and Rodgers too.

The club hasn’t had the kind of midfield players you can count on to kill an opposition’s comeback game or intentionally calm a game down since Alonso left and Lucas got his major knee injury. Too many players at Liverpool ape the wrong parts of Gerrard and their passing, ball-retention and game management completely fall apart when pressure ramps up.

And since this kind of player is probably undetectable through wanky data modeling, fans (who are the ones who matter most) will never live to see this gap filled unless some new transfer staff come in.

At least Liverpool didn’t lose today. On to the next match.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I miss that dude.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I really hope the Merseyside Derby doesn’t become a bounty hunter injury fest.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Arsenal got kind of screwed with the quality of teams dropping into the Europa League.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Klopp In or Klopp Out probably belongs in another thread.

In any case, I see where EvilHawk is coming from since Liverpool have not been a defensively sound team since Benitez left. However, that was the case not only under Klopp, but also under Rodgers, under much of the Dalglish tenure, and under Hodgson too. The issues that are keeping Liverpool from getting new defenders and better midfield cover for the defense pre-exist Klopp and firing Klopp will not get rid of those issues. They point to systemic failures in FSG's scouting and transfer staff. Unless getting rid of Klopp brings in a vastly superior manager, a better Sporting Director, and new and better scouts, it's just going to retrigger the same chain of events that we have seen since 1990.

Liverpool has been progressing under Klopp. They are not the Billy Big Bollocks of the league, but Klopp's time has been an improvement from almost anything that has happened since 2009 (except Liverpool's heroic victory over favorites Cardiff City in the 2012 League Cup Final).

Jose posted:

the very competitive premier league became the first league to have 5 teams qualify for the knock out stages

Very competitive, indeed. Maybe... too competitive.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 7, 2017

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Current form:
Team is doing great!

... Should we sack the manager?

Man, what a incredibly toxic, short-term, kneejerk view of developing a club.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but EvilHawk has been watching Liverpool suffer from very similar problems under multiple managers so I can see why his patience is running thin.

I think he expects a bit more transfer action than is realistic given how FSG want to spend and who they have in charge of finding new people, but it's not like he's Roman Abramovich.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
When is the draw?

If Liverpool draw Juventus, I'm going to cry.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Ronaldo just won his 5th ballon d'or. Amazing. Glad to be alive to witness the era of Ronaldo, TRP's favorite player ever. He's now won as many as Messi, the "alien from outer space" and "best player of all time" who "does things with a ball we've never seen before" (puking, growth hormones, epo, blood transfusions, losing finals, passing on his lovely genes to his children thus fating them to a life of wedgies and getting their heads dunked in dirty toilets). drat. Good job all Ronaldo fans, we did it.

We did, didn't we? :unsmith:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Man-U will pick Sevilla apart easily and it will be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
City and Spurs will show Johnny Continental how to play football. Today will be boring.

• Locked thread