Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gas?
ya
na
who cares
gently caress you
View Results

• Locked thread
Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Burr's pretty hit and miss with me. When he's slightly constrained by being on Conan I think he generates some really great stuff. When he's more free to do and say whatever's on his mind I don't often find him as interesting. There's a taste of, I don't know, bland bitterness to his setups sometimes. Like it doesn't land as humorous, or insightful, or witty, or even really raw. Just an angry guy being angry. For all I know he's changed but that's how a lot of his earlier stuff strikes me. Anyway his great Lance Armstrong clip was dropped earlier so here's my other favorite of his. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6fv9UUlQ8

Dark humor's really touch and go for me, though, and I'll admit that. Like I'm pretty much pro-Patrice O'Neal but I can't stand Bill Hicks. For those two at least there's a lot to do with the delivery. O'Neal made an awful punchline sound like an inevitability that you might as well laugh at. Hicks always reminded me of someone I knew in high school who thought they were deep and liked to joke about bringing a gun to school. That's just me though. Also--and this is a blatantly unfair comparison--I find Louis CK's presentation of growth and understanding and sucker punch comedy to be much more interesting and relatable than Hicks' style.

To contribute, this was my favorite standup joke when I was a kid. Feel free to judge me for it. Comedy Central spliced it to use as a bumper for a while back when they did stuff like that in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKS1MDNHMY8&t=70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread