Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is all interesting and I want to set this up. My first thought was to put it on my Edge Router Lite but some threads I’ve read stated it was probably too slow and not enough RAM to push more than a few mbps which isn’t sufficient for me as I’d like to be able to stream say Netflix in 1080p. My next thought was a Raspberry Pi but that’s probably too slow too.

Is there anything out there that would be less than say $50 or so that is sufficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just wanted to do it on my router cause I thought I wanted to own the entire stack down to hardware, but then I thought about what the point of this was (securing my public WiFi) and didn’t care anymore. Gave it a shot with DO since I already had an account there and since I’m staying at hotels right now and it works great. Will look more in depth into the options later cause I don’t need it to generate any android anythings for me.

As an aside I had no idea iOS had a feature to auto join VPN connections when on WiFi (with whitelisting) which is really cool.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

apropos man posted:

I tried algo the other day and the script returned an error pertaining to a missing selinux python dependency.

I was using a DigitalOcean Ubuntu droplet and running the script from my Fedora machine.

Any ideas?'

The deployment script automatically spins up a new DO Droplet for you, so whatever Droplet(s) you already have doesn't matter.

Try doing this on your Fedora machine:

code:
sudo dnf install -y libselinux-python
And then run the algo script again.

... or do what I did (I also deployed this from a Fedora laptop last night) and just create a Ubuntu docker container to do the deployment. If that lat part doesn't make sense to you then just ignore it and hope that my first suggestion works :v:

You might also want to take a look at deploy from redhat/centos6. Instead of yum you'd want to use dnf

I think the relevant parts you'd want to copy and paste are:

code:
sudo dnf install -y epel-release
You might have to reboot at this point. Then,

code:
sudo dnf install -y openssl-devel libffi-devel automake gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel wget unzip ansible nano

# Upgrade pip itself
sudo pip -q install --upgrade pip
# python-devel needed to prevent setup.py crash
sudo pip -q install pycrypto       
# pycrypto 2.7.1 needed for latest security patch
sudo pip -q install setuptools --upgrade
# virtualenv to make installing dependencies easier
sudo pip -q install virtualenv

wget -q [url]https://github.com/trailofbits/algo/archive/master.zip[/url]
unzip master.zip
cd algo-master || echo "No Algo directory found"

# Set up a virtualenv and install the local Algo dependencies (must be run from algo-master)
virtualenv env && source env/bin/activate
pip -q install -r requirements.txt

# Edit the userlist and any other settings you desire
nano config.cfg
# Now you can run the Algo installer!
./algo
e: Even more alternatively, just spin up a DO Droplet with Ubuntu to deploy to another DO Droplet :v:. In that case, just create a Ubuntu (Xenial) Droplet or use an existing one, then ssh into it, and then follow all the standard instructions. You might have to

code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-client
On a fresh Ubuntu image. After algo is deployed you can just delete the droplet you used to deploy from (same goes for the docker route in that you can just delete the container).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 26, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

apropos man posted:

Cheers. I had actually installed libselinux-python the other night when I tried it. It's still in my dnf history. This is the error I continually get:

code:
TASK [Ensure the dynamic inventory exists] *************************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "failed": true, "msg": "Aborting, target uses selinux but python bindings (libselinux-python) aren't installed!"}
However, your suggestion of using an Ubuntu VM or droplet in order to create another droplet makes sense. I think I'll try an Ubuntu VM using GNOME Boxes in Fedora and if that fails I'll use the 'droplet to create a droplet' trick.

I didn't know that the DO API keys were universal to your account, and could be used to create a new droplet. I'd just assumed that the API key was specific to your droplet, since I've only usually got one droplet on the go at any one time. So you live and learn. Cheers.

Oh I think I know what the problem is now. The algo script is trying to do everything in a virtualenv that it creates, but of course libselinux-python is not installed there nor is it available in PyPI so it can't be pip installed. Here's more info about it and apparently you can just copy some files and/or change a setting (both routes are on that page) but eh, I would just go with a Ubuntu VM instead of trying to hack around this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So how exactly do I connect to my vpn server with Fedora (25)? I installed NetworkManager-strongswan and NetwrkManager-strongswan-gnome but can't figure out how to configure it properly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Algo is for making your internet connections on public WiFi safer, not for :filez:. Digital Ocean, Amazon, Microsoft, etc, are all going to throw you under the bus for pirating because their primary business comes from enterprise users and companies, not people paying $5/month.

(I’m assuming this is what you mean by “p2p file sharing” because if it was 100% legal than why would you care what country? You’d just pick a data center physically close to you for the reduced bandwidth.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Or encrypt it and then you don’t need a VPN?

• Locked thread