Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

yeah, and npm promptly adopted those features. so there's no reason to use yarn now.

probably in the most idiotic way possible, so there may well be a reason to use yarn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

probably in the most idiotic way possible, so there may well be a reason to use yarn

I'd be interested to know why. It's easier for me to tell my team "upgrade to npm 5" than it is to "install this new thing".

burning swine
May 26, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

i don't remember if it's actual electron but vs code is the only good thing i can think of and it still manages to be a pig compared to anything native.

vs code deserves some praise for drinking sublimetext's milkshake and doing it for free, but lol it's a text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on very fast hardware

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vs code deserves some praise for drinking sublimetext's milkshake and doing it for free, but lol it's a text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on very fast hardware

starts up instantly for me.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im sure vs code is great for some workflows, but it chugs on my projects

sublimetext is a good editor and shareware is a fine model for tools, happy to pay for my license

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what lovely framework does slack use that allows it to pin the processor in a three thousand dollar computer with a chat client

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

qirex posted:

what lovely framework does slack use that allows it to pin the processor in a three thousand dollar computer with a chat client

electron!

Breakfast All Day posted:

i want to do all my group collaboration through a glorified irc/wiki, but i want to do it at 5 fps with 800ms of latency on a $20k workstation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

back when I was working on desktop software they used wx for cross platform stuff and it was bad but it at least wasn't slow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
vlc was/is based on wxwidgets iirc

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

I'd be interested to know why. It's easier for me to tell my team "upgrade to npm 5" than it is to "install this new thing".

i don't use terrible build systems like npm so i've never needed to use yarn, but i'm p sure npm hosed up whatever yarn was doing more than yarn did

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

every npm and node user ever posted:

Joe is a Pythonista from Leicester, England, although these days he is mainly found making C++ and JS do strange things. In his spare time he plays the ukulele, and occasionally manages the crossword.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

vlc was/is based on wxwidgets iirc

why does vlc have to rebuild it's font cache every goddamn time it starts up?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

vlc is good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
m'lady

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's wild how loving terrible text editors still are. computers loving suck rear end what a mistake

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

i don't use terrible build systems like npm so i've never needed to use yarn, but i'm p sure npm hosed up whatever yarn was doing more than yarn did

ah, so you're just talking out of your rear end. got it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

it's wild how loving terrible text editors still are. computers loving suck rear end what a mistake

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bbedit is still the best text editor

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

non-cs peeps in my office asking why their GitHub app is suddenly slow after update today so i come look at it and lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

emacs is an unusable pile of rear end that requires you to know an esoteric dead language to operate

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

non-cs peeps in my office asking why their GitHub app is suddenly slow after update today so i come look at it and lol

what is the point of the github app?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like girthub

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

emacs is an unusable pile of rear end that requires you to know an esoteric dead language to operate

1. you don't need to know any lisp to use emacs

2. even with the dead gay lisp, emacs is still better than any other editor. what would you rather use? javascript?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

akadajet posted:

what is the point of the github app?

normal people who work with code or other version controlled data can have a friendly gui without opening the scary text thing

some students/interns try to get away with it sometimes too but i will hunt them down and force them to walk uphill both ways in the terminal just like i had to

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i mean, there are good gui clients out there for git that aren't github specific.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

i mean, there are good gui clients out there for git that aren't github specific.

but what about their brand??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

but what about their brand??

you can't say github without thinking of sexual harassment scandals involving the founders!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
git uis are only useful for viewing the hellish commit graph you have cursed everyone with

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

git uis are only useful for viewing the hellish commit graph you have cursed everyone with

Yeah. But if you have to work with Windows programmers, a lot of them are super intimidated by the git CLI (because it is trash from the garbage)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
most *nix clis are garbage, it's part of the charm

a charm that windows replied to with "hold my beer"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lancemantis posted:

lol if you've never done an octopus merge

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if your commit graph doesn't look like an incredibly difficult guitar hero song

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
git is poo poo and its terrible cli is because its a lovely version system. also if you're using a command line during development you've hosed up hardcore

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

also if you're using a command line during development you've hosed up hardcore

shaggar was :wrong:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what would you ever need a command line for?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
executing commands? writing an ad hoc shell pipeline is quick and easy once you know how. it's not reasonable to expect of end users because of the learning curve, but developers are the ideal target audience for the command line. the shell and core utilities give you primitives that can be combined very powerfully, similarly to the programming languages we already stare at all day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what commands would I ever run though? ping? traceroute? not very useful for development

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

git is poo poo and its terrible cli is because its a lovely version system. also if you're using a command line during development you've hosed up hardcore

shaggar would rather use visual source safe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
between vss and git its a toss up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

ah, so you're just talking out of your rear end. got it.

why would i talk out of anything else when it comes to the js ecosystem?

you expect me to subject myself to this bullshit?

• Locked thread