Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sourcetree is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. you don't need to know any lisp to use emacs

2. even with the dead gay lisp, emacs is still better than any other editor. what would you rather use? javascript?

eight megabytes and constantly swapping :xd:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lancemantis posted:

git uis are only useful for viewing the hellish commit graph you have cursed everyone with

this was a project from this summer. i stopped fooling with it for a while and forgot what i was doing and how i made it work

those aren't my branches and i don't know how to program anything or properly use git but i mashed together everyone else's forks of the project with cool features and it worked somehow

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

certainly looks like you know how to use git

only thing I'd suggest is merging everything to a dev branch before master so you've got it all together before switching to master

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress is a HEAD

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
git terminology is definitely a bit retarded but getting poo poo done in it really isn't hard

:qq: i have to use a cli and remember like 8 commands to do my job :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

trying to delete poo poo in git is super hard. beyond forcing the changes upstream and poo poo.

i wanted to delete one version of a file from history cause oops i'm an idiot and it had a password in it. I had a commit with a good version of the file in history, and i'd have preferred the git repo pretended the file was created from that point on and forget my idiocy. but I couldn't find a way to do it without nuking every instance of that file from history. and the command for that is stupidly complex.

code:
git filter-branch --tag-name-filter cat --index-filter 'git rm -r --cached --ignore-unmatch delete_this_stupid_file.txt' --prune-empty -f -- --all

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
just change your password lol

and use git commit -v / git add -p to prevent needing to do this in the first place

alternatively: set all your passwords to hunter2 so that people think it's a joke when you commit them

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

just change your password lol

and use git commit -v / git add -p to prevent needing to do this in the first place

alternatively: set all your passwords to hunter2 so that people think it's a joke when you commit them

i'd love to, but the system i'm working on replacing is so creaky and fragile that if i changed a password, everything would break and everyone would binch me out

i mean it's not like this password has almost certainly been lost already since our stuff was using plain http and was sending an application this password outside of the system weakly encrypted (and still is)

i'm setting up a new system where backend service passwords don't have to leave our backend for our apps to do work, and the engineer who's been here longer than me is very upset that I'm asking him to update his old, poorly written processing lang apps.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

what the gently caress is a HEAD

ask your mom

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

trying to delete poo poo in git is super hard. beyond forcing the changes upstream and poo poo.

i wanted to delete one version of a file from history cause oops i'm an idiot and it had a password in it. I had a commit with a good version of the file in history, and i'd have preferred the git repo pretended the file was created from that point on and forget my idiocy. but I couldn't find a way to do it without nuking every instance of that file from history. and the command for that is stupidly complex.

code:
git filter-branch --tag-name-filter cat --index-filter 'git rm -r --cached --ignore-unmatch delete_this_stupid_file.txt' --prune-empty -f -- --all

https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
honestly most git syntax isn't really that awful compared to the abhorrent amalgamations of gawk, sed, grep, and others that I use to mangle data on a regular basis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

it's wild how loving terrible text editors still are. computers loving suck rear end what a mistake

agreed

i don't really know what this thread is about but i saw a reference to Atom in it and holy poo poo, guys, way to make a plain-text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on a 4GHz computer with 32GB of RAM, and actually visibly lags

also, in windows Atom installs itself to some bizarre path of its own inside a hidden folder in your user directory, and does not let you change the install location. this is the devs' response to people asking "why?":
https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/7095

quote:

decaylong commented on Jun 3, 2015
Why the default install location is "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\atom" , that's sh
!t. Hope that can choosing by users.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 4, 2015
Three are two possible locations that Squirrel will install to:

%LocalAppData%\Atom - the default
C:\ProgramData\Atom\USERNAME - the install location that is set when the first location cannot be written to / executed from, because of Group Policy
AtomSetup.exe --machine will just end up installing to one of these two places, but for all users (i.e. upon a new user logging in, we will proceed to install to that location)

quote:

Hope that can choosing by users.
Squirrel will never offer this choice, sorry!

quote:

hichris1234 commented on Jun 26, 2015
This is horrible. I have an SSD as my main drive and I typically want things on my regular HDD. How can I not choose where to install a program?

I'd even help contribute to change this.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 26, 2015
@hichris1234 Once the app is installed, you can move %LocalAppData%\Atom to wherever you want, then use mklink /D %LocalAppData%\Atom D:\Path\To\Where\You\Put\Atom and everything will work, even updates.

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Jun 27, 2015

quote:

But I shouldn't need to. Look at any program on Windows. Try to install it. In the installer, 99% of the time there's an option for "where do you want to install this program?" (I can think of only a few exceptions, such as Chrome). However, for Atom, there isn't.
Don't care what 20 years of bad software has done in the past! Users shouldn't be asked arbitrary dumb questions like this, they double-click Setup and their program runs. That's it. Squirrel will never, ever, ever, ever, ever change this.

and it goes on and on and on, until finally the true reason comes out:

quote:

paulcbetts commented on Aug 17, 2015

quote:

It seems this decision is based on trying to apply a principle from the Mac/Linux world to the Windows world
Nope! This decision is made so that updates can happen in the background without UAC prompts. If you want to read more about the reasons behind how the installer works, check here:

https://github.com/squirrel/squirrel.windows#what-do-we-want

:thumbsup:

what is the loving problem that awful spergs have with UAC anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

bbedit is still the best text editor

agreeing with this

sublime is the next best substitute but i miss bbedit

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

a trained revulsion for popups

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well they need to dig their heads out of their asses on that one because a popup saying "something is trying to install software on your machine" is always cool and good -- especially if that something is a piece of open sores garbage that the github devs swear is totally perfect and safe and bug-free

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

doesn't that mean letting basically any other software on the computer gently caress with your atom install without permission

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

doesn't that mean letting basically any other software on the computer gently caress with your atom install without permission

like delete it if its found

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh hell yes

and it's java too!

:peanut:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ive mostly only used it to purge stuff that should have been in git-lfs from repos

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Condiv posted:

oh hell yes

and it's java too!

:peanut:

actually its scala

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

"Beautiful : If you need to, you can use the beautiful Scala language to customise the BFG. Which has got to be better than Bash scripting at least some of the time."

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

agreed

i don't really know what this thread is about but i saw a reference to Atom in it and holy poo poo, guys, way to make a plain-text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on a 4GHz computer with 32GB of RAM, and actually visibly [

words

just a mite conceited to automatically assume your program can throw its weight around in the same manner as the most popular third party download on the platform

that being said since they're pretty much shipping a browser runtime they probably need to fastidiously keep it updated lest your identity get stolen by a fleece-wearing russian sex offender

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

actually its scala

even better! love me some scala

lancemantis posted:

ive mostly only used it to purge stuff that should have been in git-lfs from repos

sounds like it handles my problem case really well so i'm definitely gonna keep it around. never want to manually deal with file deletion in git again :negative:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

apparently this is why

quote:

paulcbetts 
commented almost 2 years ago

The experience of installing Windows software by convention, is awful. Updates are awful, the install experience is awful. Nobody writes desktop software on Windows, because it's awful. Why would we follow that convention?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ahem gnu emacs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

just a mite conceited to automatically assume your program can throw its weight around in the same manner as the most popular third party download on the platform

that being said since they're pretty much shipping a browser runtime they probably need to fastidiously keep it updated lest your identity get stolen by a fleece-wearing russian sex offender

https://github.com/pfrazee/electron-browser

https://github.com/beakerbrowser/beaker

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

why

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

because programmers have developed a pathological obsession with filling all available hardware with new and bigger and slower layers of abstraction

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

what would you ever need a command line for?

Shaggar posted:

what commands would I ever run though? ping? traceroute? not very useful for development

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Don't encourage him.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
electron is nothing new, we did this with tomcat + jvm + stripped browsers back in the late 90s. It sucked then and it sucks now and the only reason to do it is if you absolutely, positively must have a web AND a desktop app and you need to do the desktop one as cheaply as humanly possible. Otherwise there's lots of cross-platform ui toolkits that aren't loving javascript+dom.

in conclusion, git sucks, use svn.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
fun fact I found

by pressing Ctrl+shift+i, you can pull up the Chrome devtools in any electron app unless it specifically includes code to block that

it works in Discotd

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

yeah that's where i gave up. i thought about linking to the gnu coreutils manual or the powershell core module docs, but it's not like he wanted a serious answer to those questions

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

Otherwise there's lots of cross-platform ui toolkits that aren't loving javascript+dom.

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

electron is a way to employ one web frontend developer to make a shoddy cross-platform app instead of employing several experienced application programmers to make real, functional apps

electron is anti-labor

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JewKiller 3000 posted:

javafx works on win/mac/linux well, and may work someday on anroid and ios

edit: apparently javafx does work on android and ios? at the very least gluonvm should work

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
an interactive shell based on electron:

https://github.com/railsware/upterm

• Locked thread