Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yeah that's where i gave up. i thought about linking to the gnu coreutils manual or the powershell core module docs, but it's not like he wanted a serious answer to those questions

I'm not a poor person so idk why i'd use gnu coreutils and powershell is for system administration, not development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

I'm not a poor person so idk why i'd use gnu coreutils and powershell is for system administration, not development.

ps does alright for build scripts. i guess the ps team took over development of psake which i really like for that sort of thing.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

psake, more like piss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

ps does alright for build scripts. i guess the ps team took over development of psake which i really like for that sort of thing.

msbuild is dogshit so I guess yeah you might have to use it for build scripts, but that's on the build server, not on your dev machine .

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

an interactive shell based on electron:

https://github.com/railsware/upterm

what's upterm

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uh, isn't a terminal emulator that can only run one shell p lovely? even xterm can run fish

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

electron is a way to employ one web frontend developer to make a shoddy cross-platform app instead of employing several experienced application programmers to make real, functional apps

electron is anti-labor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looks really cool. another reason why web technologies are win

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are there though? ones that work on windows and mac and nerd linux and anroid linux and also/especially ios? with consistency across platforms that beats the web garbage? please please do tell

again:

rotor posted:

the only reason to do it is if you absolutely, positively must have a web AND a desktop app and you need to do the desktop one as cheaply as humanly possible.

feel free to wedge 'mobile" in there wherever you see fit.

And I don't care about consistency. And if web apps have shown us anything at all, it's that customers don't either. They just want a nice UI that performs well and doesn't crap its pants all the time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

literally every webapp in existence has it's own OK button and the combo boxes all act differently and there's zero people who give a poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

why does vlc have to rebuild it's font cache every goddamn time it starts up?
i cant remember the last time I saw this happen

"lol do pcs still have to park their hard drives before you shut them down" - akadajet, trying to bring the most "relevant" burns to the table

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

again:

feel free to wedge 'mobile" in there wherever you see fit.

And I don't care about consistency. And if web apps have shown us anything at all, it's that customers don't either. They just want a nice UI that performs well and doesn't crap its pants all the time.

ok cool, go ahead and hire 5 anroid devs and 5 ios devs and 10 desktop browser devs, and pay out 5 million a year in salary, instead of having a single team of 5 build out the frontend for all platforms. let me know how hard your vp laughs in your face

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ok cool, go ahead and hire 5 anroid devs and 5 ios devs and 10 desktop browser devs, and pay out 5 million a year in salary, instead of having a single team of 5 build out the frontend for all platforms. let me know how hard your vp laughs in your face

you need two ui codebases, one in some desktop crossplatform language like wx, swing or qt, and one in one of the mobile ones, like cordova or whatever the other one is I can't remember.

or, like I say, make a lovely loving app on the desktop and a bullshit webview client on mobile (which you'll likely shovel through cordova anyway because if you're at this stage why the gently caress not).

The choices are, obviously, always about money. But don't give me this "hire 20 devs" bullshit because lmao.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ok fine maybe i'm exaggerating. sure, a company could do what you said. but why, though? if you're going to make a "lovely loving app" for desktop and a "bullshit webview client" for mobile, and you've already fully accepted that it's all gonna suck, why not let some hungry college-junior interns translate the designer's .psd into the latest trendy javascript nonsense? they get paid barely anything, you get a solution that "works everywhere", and your recruiting benefits from mentioning how you work with those frameworks that the kids like!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

man I'm just saying the apps will be lovely, I'm not saying it's a bad business decision, that's not my fuckin department

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
aye i'm just trying to explain why they persist in behaving this way, despite everyone with a brain and enough years of experience knowing that webshit is webshit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lancemantis posted:

honestly most git syntax isn't really that awful compared to the abhorrent amalgamations of gawk, sed, grep, and others that I use to mangle data on a regular basis

git: not as bad as awk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean yeah that's true. sure. agreed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

in my world, it will be illegal not to

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

rotor posted:

that's what she sed

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

refreshing to have rotor posting again!

just pretend i emptyquoted everything he said

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rotor posted:

atomicthumbs posted:

that's what she sed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vs code deserves some praise for drinking sublimetext's milkshake and doing it for free, but lol it's a text editor that takes multiple seconds to start up on very fast hardware

I've been fooling around with an 8MB Mac IIfx running System 6 and it's once again amazing to be reminded just what could be done on a system leaner than those that are in the average remote control these days

the OS fit on 2-4 high density floppies, depending on whether you count the Network Software Installer (to install the Ethernet card driver) and MacTCP (for modern connectivity)

Macintosh Common Lisp was another 2-3 floppies, depending if I wanted sources for most of it, and includes a fully programmable Zmacs-like editor that responds instantly when run on a 40 MHz 68030, and isn't unusably slow on an 8 MHz 68000

what I'm trying to say is that running everything atop web technologies is insanely bad because it leads to software that's worse than what we had nearly 30 years ago

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs is the true path and all other editors are but stones underfoot on the way to emacs

Zmacs is the true path, GNU emacs is just a pale imitation

eschaton fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 23, 2017

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

web technologies is insanely bad

agreed, idiot hell fucker

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

agreeing with this

sublime is the next best substitute but i miss bbedit

BBEdit doesn't suck, it's a good editor

why would you miss it though, it still exists and was just updated, and old versions still work great on old operating systems too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mac only

bbedit and spring-loaded folders are about the only things i really miss from the mac os, but they are big ones

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
apparently bbedit is only $50 now? i seem to recall it being like $200 many years ago, am i misremembering?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

ahem gnu emacs

there are better emacs

most were written by or with the people who created emacs rather than the maintenance programmer they hired when they had other poo poo to do

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AppKit and UIKit are sufficiently similar that you can very easily develop native applications that run on the only desktop and mobile platforms that matter

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

msbuild is dogshit so I guess yeah you might have to use it for build scripts, but that’s on the build server, not on your dev machine .

why would you use two different project formats for desktop builds versus server/CI builds?

that's stupid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its still msbuild doing the building, but powershell is used for pre/post build stuff. msbuild is really loving bad and I hate it every day.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

I've been fooling around with an 8MB Mac IIfx running System 6 and it's once again amazing to be reminded just what could be done on a system leaner than those that are in the average remote control these days

the OS fit on 2-4 high density floppies, depending on whether you count the Network Software Installer (to install the Ethernet card driver) and MacTCP (for modern connectivity)

Macintosh Common Lisp was another 2-3 floppies, depending if I wanted sources for most of it, and includes a fully programmable Zmacs-like editor that responds instantly when run on a 40 MHz 68030, and isn't unusably slow on an 8 MHz 68000

what I'm trying to say is that running everything atop web technologies is insanely bad because it leads to software that's worse than what we had nearly 30 years ago

only eight on a IIfx????? max that Blackbird out my man

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

only eight on a IIfx????? max that Blackbird out my man

find me eight 16MB IIfx SIMMs for a reasonable price and I will

(also two 4MB SIMMs for the Display Card 8•24 GC that's in it)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

rotor posted:

you need two ui codebases, one in some desktop crossplatform language like wx, swing or qt, and one in one of the mobile ones, like cordova or whatever the other one is I can't remember.

or, like I say, make a lovely loving app on the desktop and a bullshit webview client on mobile (which you'll likely shovel through cordova anyway because if you're at this stage why the gently caress not).

The choices are, obviously, always about money. But don't give me this "hire 20 devs" bullshit because lmao.

doesn't React Native theoretically somewhat solve this problem (that of hiring only web developers)

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
time for a public service announcement guys

are you ready?

emacs is good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

There Will Be Penalty posted:

time for a public service announcement guys

are you ready?

emacs is good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

doesn't React Native theoretically somewhat solve this problem (that of hiring only web developers)

kinda not really sorta (which is why as far as I can tell react is the only js toolkit anyone is using anymore)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean it's not like you just run your react website through a react native compiler and get an app out the other side but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

Zmacs is the true path, GNU emacs is just a pale imitation

but zmacs is dead, and the pale imitation is alive and has a large community

• Locked thread